• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 VS FL5

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I was talking to @Jester04 yesterday, and thought it might be interesting to post this up since I'm in a unique scenario where I've owned an FK8 and now own an FL5. This is a comparison in my best lap times at Virginia International Raceway between the two cars. In the FK8 I was able to run .59 seconds faster. My optimal laps in both vehicles according to the garmin catalyst were in the low 2:10's. There is not a significant difference in the top speed deltas in the straight-a-ways despite my FK8 being modified. It's worth mentioning that my driver skill has slightly increased since my run in the FK8, and you'll see a key difference in speed in the climbing esses with my FL5 (this had nothing to do with the cars, but my increased comfort in being uncomfortable). FK8 lap temp 80 (July). FL5 lap temp 65 (October). Otherwise the laps were very similar. I've got both videos posted at the bottom.

Important stock vs stock differences to note:

FL5 suspension in R mode is significantly stiffer, and this really did come in handy.
FL5 final gear ratio is longer.

Vehicle Setups on Track:

FK8:
I used gears 3-6 on track (never 2nd gear)
Phearable Stage 2 Tune
Remark TI exhaust
PRL Front Pipe
PRL Downpipe
PRL Intake
PRL intercooler
HKS Oil Cooler
275/35/18 Nitto NT01's
4 point harnesses
RV6 rear sway/ rear control arms/ rear toe arms
RV6 front spherical bushings/ front compliance mounts
AP/Essex 355mm BBK w/ Ferodo 3.12 pads in front and Carbotech xp10 rear (girodisc rear rotor)
Motul RBF 660
Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
All nannies activated

FL5
I used gears 2-5 on track (never 6th)
Stock Tune
PRL Intercooler
HEL Oil Cooler
AP/Essex 355mm BBK w/ Paragon R7 pads in front and Paragon R5 rear (girodisc rear rotor)
Motul RBF 660
Dream Automotive Stainless Brake Lines
275/35/18 Nitto NT01's
Completely stock suspension
Completely stock exhaust
Stock seatbelt
nannies completely deactivated

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I was talking to @Jester04 yesterday, and thought it might be interesting to post this up since I'm in a unique scenario where I've owned an FK8 and now own an FL5. This is a comparison in my best lap times at Virginia International Raceway between the two cars. In the FK8 I was able to run .59 seconds faster. My optimal laps in both vehicles according to the garmin catalyst were in the low 2:10's. There is not a significant difference in the top speed deltas in the straight-a-ways despite my FK8 being modified. It's worth mentioning that my driver skill has slightly increased since my run in the FK8, and you'll see a key difference in speed in the climbing esses with my FL5 (this had nothing to do with the cars, but my increased comfort in being uncomfortable). FK8 lap temp 80 (July). FL5 lap temp 65 (October). Otherwise the laps were very similar. I've got both videos posted at the bottom.

Important stock vs stock differences to note:

FL5 suspension in R mode is significantly stiffer, and this really did come in handy.
FL5 final gear ratio is longer.

Vehicle Setups on Track:

FK8:
I used gears 3-6 on track (never 2nd gear)
Phearable Stage 2 Tune
Remark TI exhaust
PRL Front Pipe
PRL Downpipe
PRL Intake
PRL intercooler
HKS Oil Cooler
275/35/18 Nitto NT01's
4 point harnesses
RV6 rear sway/ rear control arms/ rear toe arms
RV6 front spherical bushings/ front compliance mounts
AP/Essex 355mm BBK w/ Ferodo 3.12 pads in front and Carbotech xp10 rear (girodisc rear rotor)
Motul RBF 660
Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
All nannies activated

FL5
I used gears 2-5 on track (never 6th)
Stock Tune
PRL Intercooler
HEL Oil Cooler
AP/Essex 355mm BBK w/ Paragon R7 pads in front and Paragon R5 rear (girodisc rear rotor)
Motul RBF 660
Dream Automotive Stainless Brake Lines
275/35/18 Nitto NT01's
Completely stock suspension
Completely stock exhaust
Stock seatbelt
nannies completely deactivated

Just watching the videos makes it even more mind boggling 😂. On the straight away when you pass the shack you were 3mph slower in the FL5. Yet by the time you come up the hill right over the crest they are both dead even in speed.

Were you having bad issues with cooling on the fk8? Just trying to make sense of it, because the FK8 should have had a good 70whp over the FL5.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just watching the videos makes it even more mind boggling 😂. On the straight away when you pass the shack you were 3mph slower in the FL5. Yet by the time you come up the hill right over the crest they are both dead even in speed.

Were you having bad issues with cooling on the fk8? Just trying to make sense of it, because the FK8 should have had a good 70whp over the FL5.
The temps were pushing in the FK8, not only because I was pushing hard, but ambient temp was also 80 degrees, but they weren't pushing to an unsafe level.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The temps were pushing in the FK8, not only because I was pushing hard, but ambient temp was also 80 degrees, but they weren't pushing to an unsafe level. Something tells me than an FL5 with a tune might be pretty scary. The estimated horsepower on the FK8 with the Phearable tune is 386.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
The temps were pushing in the FK8, not only because I was pushing hard, but ambient temp was also 80 degrees, but they weren't pushing to an unsafe level.
No not unsafe but probably hot enough for it to start pulling power slowly. The ECU is very good at this. As soon as coolant temps start climbing and intake air temps start climbing also it will limit power. So that might explain how the FL5 was accelerating similarly to the tuned FK8.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Did you ever dyno your FK8? Also I know that you that you have an intercooler and just put in a downpipe, so Im guessing you are going to be tuning the car soon to get more power. Are you trying to make similar power or more than your FK8.

Do you feel like the stiffer suspension with the FL5 it made any difference in terms of grip with the tires. You drove the FK8 on the same tire setup so I wonder if you noticed anything different since apparently they made the dampers stiff to prevent the suspension from being overwhelmed with tires that are more sticky.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No, I didn't dyno the FK8 since I was using an OTS tune. I've got different plans for this car in general. I'm getting the basic bolt ons, but i'm pretty interested in what kind of Garrett turbo kits will be available for the car. The new multi-tune functionality is intriguing. If you can switch maps on the fly, I'd be going for a balls to the walls horsepower scenario for the straights so that I can really surprise the heck out of people.

The stiffer dampers seem to help on uphill corners. On downhill corners the rear gets really bouncy.

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
" Under braking in Sport or +R modes, the car skipped over pavement ripples until we switched the adaptive dampers to Comfort mode. " - Car and Driver

Have you tried using a softer setting in any of your track outings? Seems like C&D felt the stiffest setting is perhaps a bit too stiff.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
" Under braking in Sport or +R modes, the car skipped over pavement ripples until we switched the adaptive dampers to Comfort mode. " - Car and Driver

Have you tried using a softer setting in any of your track outings? Seems like C&D felt the stiffest setting is perhaps a bit too stiff.
I didn't experience that, but I'm also running on 18's with a thicker sidewall tire which helps to absorb some of that shock. The bouncing only occurred at turn 15 (left hander) where I blast through some curbing to an off canter straight. I couldn't imagine running this particular track with the shocks set in comfort mode. It would feel like I was driving a house boat.
Sponsored