• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
It’s literally the grill that gives the FL5 the beluga look… you are over analyzing it haha. The black piece on the FK8 aka the grill, connects flush to the bumper where the FL5 grill is concave so it gives it the frumpy hood.
Haha! Over abalyzing is how Forums are keep alive! ;)

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
This is my favorite shot because you can see the similarities and differences with the hood bulge, because it seems to be a sore point in the design of the FL5 (I've seen alot of people crack jokes about the FL5 for this). It actually looks like the FK8 had the same bulge, but there was some visual trickery. It just had that additional piece of the black grill which broke up the lines so the bulge wasn't that apparent. It looks like with the FL5, Honda removed that black plastic trim piece around the headlights and front grille so that bulge is more noticeable, there is no black to hide it. The center grille opening is also a bit bigger so I wonder with the FL5 if that black trim piece was actually blocking airflow or negatively affecting aerodynamics, so the car should breathe better now. On the side you can see the mandated yellow marker on the body like the FK8, with the FL5 its incorporated into the headlight design. It really looks like they tried to slim down FL5 regardless of what the final weight will be.

The heat extractor is significantly wider and longer.

You can see how dramatically bigger and more open the bottom piece of the grille is, definitely will be getting more airflow.

You can see the complete removal of the fake vents which was a strong criticism of the FK8.

Another interesting design choice I see are the side view mirrors. It looks like now they are mounted onto the doors instead of the corner of the windshield. I wonder if that was done for aerodynamics

Im not a car designer or physics guy so I really can't piece all of this stuff together but it does look like there was a big effort to make the car breathe better and address the cooling which is great.

What do you think? Hand made but thoes this represent your idea?

It also reminds me of the "zorro" mask of the 10th gen

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 and FK8 Civic Type R Comparison Side-by-Side Look FB_IMG_1660926704721

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 and FK8 Civic Type R Comparison Side-by-Side Look FB_IMG_1660926692235

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Funny thing is I always thought FK8 would look better if the black bit on the nose was body colored.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
It’s already a trend.

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 and FK8 Civic Type R Comparison Side-by-Side Look 75672ECB-FC4B-41B8-A8D6-389F07601243

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
It’s already a trend.

75672ECB-FC4B-41B8-A8D6-389F07601243.jpeg
Yes in deed. I added more black tone to the upper section to look like the 10th trim. Not my idea.

The objective is to reduce the "beluga" effect as many have pointed out.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
The FL5 looks much lower in comparison. The white paint colour looks less tingy on the new model despite being the same colours. The new heat extractor is perfect, located in the best spot possible, heat escapes, and lift is reduced without adding drag.

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
The FL5 looks much lower in comparison. The white paint colour looks less tingy on the new model despite being the same colours. The new heat extractor is perfect, located in the best spot possible, heat escapes, and lift is reduced without adding drag.
camera Angle from a wide shot. It isn’t “that much lower” overall. Might be 1cm max

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
Just relax, I’ve been a die hard Honda guy since the day I got my license. There is stuff on my FK8 I don’t like as well. I’ve owned 10 Hondas/Acuras since 2010 and almost imported an FD2 before I jumped on the FK8.

now the part I don’t like on the front which gives me the frumpy/beluga look is between those red arrows. See how the grill goes convex in between 2 overhangs (shown by the red arrows). That’s the part I don’t enjoy about the FL5. To make you feel better I guess (since this is all objective opinion), I don’t like the rear fender arch on the FK8 and the back end is clearly overstyled.
16089D3B-636F-46EB-905F-55CE9C49FF55.jpeg
I wouldn't worry about this, it really won't be evident or look as pronounced in real life. Unfortunately we only have pictures to dissect and the same happens with all cars.

I also have an Emira on order and people have been really going in on the seal line on the bonnet, pointing out how exaggerated it is, couldn't they have designed something better etc. I saw one in the flesh at Goodwood FOS and it was a complete none event, the same as this will be. I think the new style direction will look even better in real life

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
I wouldn't worry about this, it really won't be evident or look as pronounced in real life. Unfortunately we only have pictures to dissect and the same happens with all cars.

I also have an Emira on order and people have been really going in on the seal line on the bonnet, pointing out how exaggerated it is, couldn't they have designed something better etc. I saw one in the flesh at Goodwood FOS and it was a complete none event, the same as this will be. I think the new style direction will look even better in real life
I agree. It's evident Honda made a real effort to go less trim on this new design and I think the front end without that extra trim looks good. The simple black lines of wheel vents and hood scoop along with front air intake are enough imo; looks clean and cohesive but still sporty.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You will trigger many with this!!!

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
I'm still chuckling to myself 😆 still want one in Champ White though. Also just realized that Champ can be short for "Champagne" and it works out well 🤪

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
This is great.

When the 11th gen first arrived.. in whatever form you like.. I liked everything except the front.

As time went on however it grew on me. It isn't pretty but it isn't ugly to me.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (Sonic Grey Pearl)
This is great.

When the 11th gen first arrived.. in whatever form you like.. I liked everything except the front.

As time went on however it grew on me. It isn't pretty but it isn't ugly to me.
Same with me except I liked everything except the rear. It still doesn't look good to me but maybe my mind will grow to accept it as I see more on the road
Sponsored