• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 OEM Wheel Curb Rash Repair

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Has anyone managed to repair minor curb rash on their FL5 OEM matte black wheels? I have a minor rash on one of my wheels and was wondering the best way to repair them as it has a matte finish. Is there a Honda paint code for the wheels for finding some touch up paint?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I'm sure this is horrible advice, but I went full redneck and just used a Sharpie, and I thought it blended in very well.
Lol love the honesty, Op any decent wheel repair shop should be able to fix it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I suggest getting the wheel repaired properly by a wheel shop. In many cases heavily rashed wheels can be restored to new for a few hundred bucks with a 1-2 day turnaround.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C, FL5
I had a traumatic experience in an underground parking and had to repair 2 last winter. The paint is anodized and requires special treatment, I found a shop that did a great work, but essentially do take them to a wheel repair shop.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I used Sharpies on both oem and accessory wheels lol. F it as long as its not too bad.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The main issue, other than esthetics, is oxidation of the metal. This can spread and look worse than the original curb rash and can also make its way under the finish a little bit. It takes a long time for the alloy in the wheels to become noticeably oxidized, though. It looks like a whitish buildup. Look at cars’ wheels in any parking lot and I’m sure you’ll spot this oxidation.

OP
OP
type r fanatic

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
I'm sure this is horrible advice, but I went full redneck and just used a Sharpie, and I thought it blended in very well.
I used some sharpie as well. The color matched fine but it still has a rough texture, and has to be reapplied every few washes :D

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
I think everyone’s done the sharpie trick on black wheels at one point or another.. 😅

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
I suggest getting the wheel repaired properly by a wheel shop. In many cases heavily rashed wheels can be restored to new for a few hundred bucks with a 1-2 day turnaround.
Would this also be the case for the matte black wheels? My detailer said matte doesn't release compound and so whatever you touch up will be hard to blend.

Made the mistake of allowing the dealer to replace some tires and not only did they scrape off the old balance weights with a screwdriver, but they also laid the wheels on its face on something.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Would this also be the case for the matte black wheels? My detailer said matte doesn't release compound and so whatever you touch up will be hard to blend.

Made the mistake of allowing the dealer to replace some tires and not only did they scrape off the old balance weights with a screwdriver, but they also laid the wheels on its face on something.
The matte wheels can be also be repaired and you wouldn't be able to tell they were damaged previously. In most cases the wheel is not touched up, it's completely refinished.
Sponsored