• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 overall range possoble recall needed

DSAINJERSEY

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 TYPE R
Hey guys, we may have a problem based upon comments I've seen from everyone and it doesn't seem like anyone cares. When I first took possession of my car the range stated at Philip was about 340 miles I think the high was 350 miles. And this was the way it was for the first four maybe five times that I filled up. Also at that time when filling up after the low warning light would come on the car would take approximately 11.5 or more gallons.

Ever since I am getting maximum 10.6 gallons each time I fill my gas tank. And depending on my driving at that time it'll buy me anywhere between 230 MI to Max 260 MI. Now the math ain't adding up because I learned how to multiply in school and I have a calculator. I went and even one night like an insane person drove around the parking lot of the gas station to the point the car was sputtering from being low on fuel because everyone believes there's a vast Reserve. I assure you well there's a little left when it says empty don't push it. I tried that again before my most recent service department and the technician drain the tank there was approximately a third of a gallon. We made sure that it had 1 gallon of fuel in it and we went to the gas station. At the gas station it only took 9.4 gallons. Why won't my gas tank not fill all the way up?

I dare speculate about a recall because I see so many fl 5 owners when asked saying that they're getting $220 to 240 miles per tank and that's not what it's designed to be just based upon Honda's own documents the EPA certifications and simple fourth grade math. When I asked everyone was telling me the same thing roughly 10.5 gallons. The few lucky people who had a car with the operating gas tank they would get 12 whatever gallons and again the estimated range would be approximately in the 340s.

The technician gave me the bologna about the car does the self evaporation check which it may do. I think we have a problem with the evaporation system on the car I think there may be a problem with the atmosphere event which is what this place is the air when you fill it up. And I also believe there's a huge problem because knowing the symptoms the technicians if it they're scanning tablet doesn't tell them that there's something wrong they're unwilling or unable to look any further because these technicians are not mechanics. I'm not trying to discriminate at all but it seems overall regardless of what brand or model car when ghosts in the machine pop up it takes a very long time for somebody to find an actual mechanic that works for a Honda dealer before it is resolved. I was also told that when filling up there is no atmospheric event which would be impossible because if it vented to your engine the car would explode the second and turn it back on for being so overly pressurized and Rich. Either way though it sounds like we all are experiencing a similar problem but most don't know enough or care enough.
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Hopefully the problem does not magnify or grow larger. Thanks for pointing this out.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
8,000 miles in. My range has always been 350ish on the dash, and I usually get 260-280 on a normal tank. Fill up is usually around 9 gallons. I donā€™t run it dry, but thatā€™s usually right when or right before the light comes on. Running about 28mpg on the dash too. I think itā€™s normal man.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
When I first took possession of my car the range stated at Philip was about 340 miles I think the high was 350 miles. And this was the way it was for the first four maybe five times that I filled up. Also at that time when filling up after the low warning light would come on the car would take approximately 11.5 or more gallons.

Ever since I am getting maximum 10.6 gallons each time I fill my gas tank. And depending on my driving at that time it'll buy me anywhere between 230 MI to Max 260 MI. Now the math ain't adding up because I learned how to multiply in school and I have a calculator. I went and even one night like an insane person drove around the parking lot of the gas station to the point the car was sputtering from being low on fuel because everyone believes there's a vast Reserve. I assure you well there's a little left when it says empty don't push it. I tried that again before my most recent service department and the technician drain the tank there was approximately a third of a gallon. We made sure that it had 1 gallon of fuel in it and we went to the gas station. At the gas station it only took 9.4 gallons. Why won't my gas tank not fill all the way up?

I dare speculate about a recall because I see so many fl 5 owners when asked saying that they're getting $220 to 240 miles per tank and that's not what it's designed to be just based upon Honda's own documents the EPA certifications and simple fourth grade math. When I asked everyone was telling me the same thing roughly 10.5 gallons. The few lucky people who had a car with the operating gas tank they would get 12 whatever gallons and again the estimated range would be approximately in the 340s.
The Distance to Empty (DTE) displayed is calculated by the ECU through a combination of things (fuel level, fuel flow rate, load, etc), depending on the car. The sampling rate for that data can also play a role. How you are actually driving can result in DTE and gas mileage reading more or less fuel efficient than you calculate by the amount of gas you pumped. None of the cars I have driven that has DTE and fuel consumption from the instrument cluster will consistently give me the same numbers when being calculated off the gas pump.

The gas pump is also a variable at times. Not all gas station will pump out the exact amount of gas as the pump says. You can also get more or less gas than what the pump says too.

I would not worry about the DTE (you can still drive after it says 0 anyway. There is always a buffer) as an accurate measure of the maximum distance you can get with your fill up. Fuel level gauge is not designed to be 100 percent accurate either. Have you ever tried consistently filling up at other gas stations and yield the same result?

OP
OP

DSAINJERSEY

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 TYPE R
I only am using the DTE as a guideline. At 24ish mpg I'm OK with mog but isnhoukf get further overall. Now many are saying this isn't an issue and they're nit doing the math

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I only am using the DTE as a guideline. At 24ish mpg I'm OK with mog but isnhoukf get further overall. Now many are saying this isn't an issue and they're nit doing the math
The gas tank for the 2.0/1.5T/K20C1 should all be the same. If this is an actual widespread problem, then there will be a recall for all 11th Gen Civic after enough people complained about it.

An excerpt from the famous early 5th Gen Rav4 Hybrid Gas Tank Recall should give you some insight on why you should never trust Distance-to-Empty 100%.

"It is also important to note that the displayed "Distance to Empty" is an estimate based on a number of factors including historical driving behavior, road conditions, weather conditions, etc"

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 overall range possoble recall needed low_fuel.PNG

If you can only pump say 7.5 gallons or less when the low fuel light is lit a couple times a month, then I'd be concerned.

Last edited:

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Might want to also consider that winter gas plays a role in fuel economy, winter gas sucks big time. I am getting consistent 22-24 City driving out of my FL5. I also live in the south. I have not noticed any changes in range at fill up.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Also the K20C1 is a thirsty motor when pushed. This car isn't built for MPG's.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Look like your fl5 miles, and gas consumption varies..that's normal buddy..not even worth talking about. A recall for what? Exactly?

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
Honestly got lost by the end reading that, but I get 240-280 miles depending on usage. My FL5 eats gas on start/warmup, so on short trips only I tend to get 22ish mpg. On highway driving 65-70 I could probably get 30mpg the entire tank and the meter usually lines up with filling up 10 gal. 10.5 the one time it was really empty šŸ˜¬.

Now it would be great if the tank was actually 13 gal useable like the 8th gen, because not having 32-37mpg makes for a lot more frequent gas stops.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
Coming from FK8, FL5 has smaller usable tank it seems as my normal fill up is around 11.x gal in the FK8 probably 1/2 into the reserve, and around the same time in the FL5 its pretty consistently about a gal less. Range is usually in the 280-300s doing 28-30mpg(I have a 40-60mph commute). I think on a whole the car is worse on gas vs the FK8, but I've never done a true apple to apple comparison(ie non-snow tire, narrow wheels/tires).

I see you are in NJ and like the guys before said, winter gas plays a role if that is a thing where you are.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
We live a good 12 miles from the nearest gas station - so I rarely push it now. Still...

I have had the fuel light go on - then driven 30+ miles to Costco for gas and shopping, before filling up, no worries. I hit 1 mile left on my DTE once as I pulled into the pump.
Did it take the full 12.4 gallons, or 12.3? Nope. Try 11.5. Yes, said empty and I could have driven another 20 miles easy.
I have never run out of gas in either the Type R or the SI that preceded it. The SI of course got way better mileage, I get 27.5 combined, the SI got well into the 30's.

If you try to make sense of the numbers on your readout versus actual fuel left - you will be baffled.
We all are when comparing the readouts to what is in the gas tank. It almost never pencils out exactly.
Just know with normal driving you have somewhere north of 300-310, or more like 340+ if you are on cruise control and not in stop and go traffic.
Sponsored