• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 overall range possoble recall needed

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
I‘ve never gotten anything near the estimated range at fill-up in any of my cars, totally normal and based on how you drive
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
I don't own a FL5, but I've owned various versions of 9th, 10th, and 11th gen civics. In each generation the "range calculation" is usually fairly accurate at fill up, but the accuracy drops as the range drops to zero.

To test this, the first few thousand miles of each civic I have owned I kept meticulous track of fuel mileage independent of the onboard computer, in order to verify the computer range, mileage and fuel tank size. I usually use the fuelly app, but a simple spreadsheet will suffice.

These are my conclusions after hundreds of thousands of miles in civics:

I ignore the range and fuel low light. First step is to know your fuel tank size (12.4 gallons for both the 10th and 11th gen civics I have owned). Next is to look at your computer calculated fuel mileage (important: for this figure to be accurate reset your trip A odometer at each fill up). Subtract by one and multiply this by the tank safety factor. What is my tank safety factor? I used 12.0 for my 10th and 11th gen cars, which leaves .4 in reserve.

For example, if my current computer MPG shows 35.5, I multiply 34.5 x 12 to get a current range of 414 miles on that particular tank. I almost never push it to the fuel "calculation" before I refuel, but I keep that number in mind and fill up when it gets fairly close. So in this example of 414 miles I would almost certainly fill up before I get to 400 miles on the tank. This usually has me filling up when my range reads 0, but it also keeps a solid reserve of about 1 gallon in my tank at fill up (this has proven pretty consistent in my cars).

I don't see why this method wouldn't work for the FL5. It takes the guesswork out of it.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I see you are in NJ and like the guys before said, winter gas plays a role if that is a thing where you are.
The only thing I was going to add was that I know my tank fills up all the way every time, because I can hear it coming up the tube when the pump shuts off - something I've paid extreme attention to ever since owning a diesel. When I read this it hit me - OP is from New Jersey, I think they're the last state in the country where drivers can't pump their own gas, right? If so, he wouldn't be able to hear the fuel coming up the tube to shutoff if he's not doing the pumping. Different pumps, different guys pumping could give much different shutoff points.

I haven't noticed anything weird at all fuel-wise aside from my calculated fuel economy being 1 to 2 mpg higher than actual, which is the norm for all cars I've ever owned. I'm at ~1500 miles of 24-25mpg mostly off-highway. I don't let the tank get low, especially this time of year to avoid condensation. I get anywhere between 6 and 9 gallons when I fill this peanut tank up.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
(important: for this figure to be accurate reset your trip A odometer at each fill up).
Also, one of my favorite features of this car (I'd guess common on all the Civics?) is there is an option in vehicle settings to automatically reset the trip meter any time the gas tank is filled up :headbang: and when you inevitably forget to look at the meter before filling up, it records the mileage of each reset in one of the car apps - trip or mileage info or something.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
Also, one of my favorite features of this car (I'd guess common on all the Civics?) is there is an option in vehicle settings to automatically reset the trip meter any time the gas tank is filled up :headbang: and when you inevitably forget to look at the meter before filling up, it records the mileage of each reset in one of the car apps - trip or mileage info or something.
It wasn't a feature on my 10th gen, but is on my 11th. I suppose its all 11th?

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Driving habits change the miles to empty estimate. When I take the car to the track it'll drop down to 80 miles or so, and it stays this way, even after the track during normal street driving for a few refills before it starts to return to a number that isn't absurd. I haven't checked, because I really don't care too much, but there is likely a way to reset the mileage estimate, and start from scratch.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
When I first got.thr car DTE showed 340 or so. Now it shows 275 on a full tank but will change some based on driving. Just came back from a road trip and saw about 28 mpg and my DTE is back in the 300s.