• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin?

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
Was just looking at bumper height design in some modern cars.

●Almost mistook a bmw m 440i grancoupe for a suv when I saw how high the rear bumper was riding.

●I notice fl5's rear bumper seems quite a sum taller than fk8 too

When did this trend begin?

11th Gen Honda Civic Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin? 314998388_454899640103320_4479106920078535199_n

11th Gen Honda Civic Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin? iMarkup_20231112_144103

Edit last image added to show user's claim that the bumper was supposedly the same, is reasonably quite false.

11th Gen Honda Civic Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin? 1699832481110
Sponsored

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Look at the bumper ledges and ground clearance. They’re nearly even with each other. The entire bumper assemblies are very nearly the same height too. The tail lights are just shorter on the FL5 so there’s more “blank canvas” space that you’re seeing. This makes it look like the bumper on the FL5 is taller, when in fact it’s really not.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
Look at the bumper ledges and ground clearance. They’re nearly even with each other. The entire bumper assemblies are very nearly the same height too. The tail lights are just shorter on the FL5 so there’s more “blank canvas” space that you’re seeing. This makes it look like the bumper on the FL5 is taller, when in fact it’s really not.
You've got to be joking?

You said it your self, the tail lights are shorter. That's exactly a part of the reason why the bumper is quite taller.

11th Gen Honda Civic Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin? 1699832280928

Albeit, at any rate I am reasonably certain if we did some measurements fl5's would be taller, and they look quite taller, even if you bizarrely want to deny that

Last edited:

Laznz

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, kodiaq(wifes),Santa Fe(work)
No mate, what he is saying is that the tail lights of the FK8 are clearly larger and extend further down the rear, then the seam line your referring to as being the top of the bumper is lower on the FK8 due to the size and position of the tail lights.

For me the top of the bumper is where the ledge is below the boot lid.

I mean if we are going to be silly. Why does the rear extend so high on the FK8? Looks like a C-HR(a small SUV)

Laznz

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
You've got to be joking?

You said it your self, the tail lights are shorter. That's exactly a part of the reason why the bumper is quite taller.

1699832280928.png

Albeit, at any rate I am reasonably certain if we did some measurements fl5's would be taller, and they look quite taller, even if you bizarrely want to deny that
OK. No need to bizarrely get all up in arms about this complete non-issue.

I didn’t understand the point of your post and I think we’re arguing semantics here. If you removed the rear bumper cover assemblies (which includes the lights and decorative bits), you’d find that the actual bumper underneath is pretty much the same size and in the same location. This is why, as I said before, the ground clearance and the bumper ledge are at pretty much the same height. This makes sense because structurally the cars’ bones are very very similar. The exterior styling is what’s night and day different and super obvious, but the actual bumper (the part that is attached to the frame and provides protection in a wreck) is not technically taller. That was my point.

I thought you were trying to say that the actual structural bumper is taller based on the exterior styling.

I’m not sure that there’s a trend in taller bumper covers as much as there is simply a trend in smaller / sleeker tail lights. The 10th gen Civic’s tail lights are huge in comparison to many cars, including those made during the same timeframe as the 10th gen. Not bashing it. Just stating what I see. It is a unique feature of the 10th gen.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
1699834364729.png

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/fl5-and-fk8-civic-type-r-comparison-side-by-side-look.50980/

For example look at the image from the above thread. Your argument is ridiculous. If anything the FK8 looks more 'SUV' than the FL5.

Don't get me wrong I like the FK8, but for me the rear end of the FL5 looks far better.
below is a slightly different view from the rear of the FK8 if you needed more convincing.

1699834766862.png
To your point, the FK8 does have more “traditional hatchback” proportions with its taller roofline in the back. And really, that’s what a lot of small SUV’s basically are these days ; They’re hatchbacks with more ground clearance, but poorer gas milage.

Laznz

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To your point, the FK8 does have more “traditional hatchback” proportions with its taller roofline in the back. And really, that’s what a lot of small SUV’s basically are these days ; They’re hatchbacks with more ground clearance, but poorer gas milage.
I agree to a point. Looks traditional in the sense that it looks like a 2nd gen 4 door crx(not a bad thing) and the FL5 looks more like a liftback/fast back. But neither are traditional like a corolla or a golf.

To be fair, I was stooping to the level of the OP and got carried away.

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
this "realization" of high bumpers by this guy is something so not even worth mentioning. to get upset about someone else saying it's not really taller, hahaha. lucky for me the comments were entertaining or else this would have been such a waste of time. thanks for pointing out the bumper my guy. now i'll go on with my life not caring just like before i read this post.

OP
OP

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
1699834364729.png

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/fl5-and-fk8-civic-type-r-comparison-side-by-side-look.50980/

For example look at the image from the above thread. Your argument is ridiculous. If anything the FK8 looks more 'SUV' than the FL5.

Don't get me wrong I like the FK8, but for me the rear end of the FL5 looks far better.
below is a slightly different view from the rear of the FK8 if you needed more convincing.

1699834766862.png

Actually, the fl5 reasonably closer to CHR, in terms of
1. bumper height, as the CHR's lights are basically the median size between the fl5 and fk8, apparently allowing the rear number to ride up more in the design, similar to fl5
2. bumper design (fl5 has no more artificial honey comb vents like on cars, more of a medium between cars and suvs as the CHR appears)

...and I don't get it, even if the fl5 does look more like an suv, bumper wise, why does it have to be an argument about whether fk8 or fl5 looks better?

11th Gen Honda Civic Fl5 rear and front bumper quite tall. When did this new trend begin? 1699978768281

OP
OP

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
No mate, what he is saying is that the tail lights of the FK8 are clearly larger and extend further down the rear, then the seam line your referring to as being the top of the bumper is lower on the FK8 due to the size and position of the tail lights.

For me the top of the bumper is where the ledge is below the boot lid.

I mean if we are going to be silly. Why does the rear extend so high on the FK8? Looks like a C-HR(a small SUV)
The rear bumper extends farther on the fl5, compared to fk8.
The bumper on the fl5 is apparently larger.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The op is pointing out something that is very obvious, but made it sound like he discovered something revelatory ; Like a radical new trend in automotive design. The comparison is so obvious that I thought he had to be talking about something else. Misunderstandings tend to head down the toilet quickly on the internet. Still…I don’t follow what the point was to this thread. 😂

OP
OP

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
The op is pointing out something that is very obvious, but made it sound like he discovered something revelatory ; Like a radical new trend in automotive design. The comparison is so obvious that I thought he had to be talking about something else. Misunderstandings tend to head down the toilet quickly on the internet. Still…I don’t follow what the point was to this thread. 😂
Maybe obvious, but maybe a trend that isn't really noticed/talked about

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Maybe obvious, but maybe a trend that isn't really noticed/talked about
If there is a trend, it would most likely be triggered by wind tunnel aerodynamics -- in the manufacturers' push to get as many MPGs as possible while still showing style.

Also, Honda had for a long time been trending with waaay oversized tail lights -- CRVs being the extreme -- and now they have come way down in size. Personally, i prefer as much lighting as possible given i've spent a lot of time driving in fog behind cars i can barely see.
:stirthepot:
Sponsored