• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint issues on rear brake calipers FL5

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I wanted to throw this out there and see if this is anyway a trend? My FL5 has approx. 2500 miles, and is not track driven, just my daily. I realized a few weeks ago that the paint was already coming off the rear calipers, fronts look fine. My dealership has already ordered replacements, we just haven't done the work yet. I've owned the car new since mid May 2023.
So it's a warranty fix, but just seems really premature.

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint issues on rear brake calipers FL5 Rear Caliper Driver 1

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint issues on rear brake calipers FL5 Rear Caliper Driver 2

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint issues on rear brake calipers FL5 Rear Caliper Driver 3
Sponsored

shyong

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M3 Competition, 2023 CTR Champ White
Running into the same issue. I have under 700 miles on the car. I noticed it yesterday thinking it was heavy deposit of brake dust.

If it gets worse I'll probably clean it up real well and prep it for some touch up with high temp brake caliper paint. I'll try to avoid the dealership/service when I can.

OP
OP
Dublin Honda Geek
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
That's probably a good idea, i hate the idea of them removing a perfectly good caliper because of paint

cbk01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Brembo QC getting a bit lacklustre.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Same thing will just happen to the new calipers I suspect. I've got the same on mine.
Eventually I might spray them black with VHT Caliper paint - stuff is super durable.
Another vote for avoiding the dealer visit.
I've noticed the rear brakes do quite a lot of work on these cars from pulling temp readings after even a short drive, they are almost as hot as the fronts which I've not observed in any of the cars I've owned in the past.

Last edited:

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I’m having the same issue on mine. Is this something I can have the dealership fix?

OP
OP
Dublin Honda Geek
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I think I have been educated by some of the people on here, and I am forgoing, for now, the dealership trip. However, i did make them aware of it, and they will replace the calipers now if I want. So maybe make them aware of it, and proceed from there so it's documented.

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
11th Gen Honda Civic Paint issues on rear brake calipers FL5 09D8CFDB-4705-4EF3-92E7-1DA71A2F0169

I have the same issue on mine, although only on one side so far and not as bad as yours.
Also bought mine in May 2023 and have around 2700 miles, daily and not track driven. If anyone knows some good red touch up paint please let me know!
Sponsored