Sponsored

For those who are running a tune and have emissions inspection.

Ska597

Member
First Name
Sam
Joined
Jul 28, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
8
Location
NE
Vehicle(s)
2021 MB E63s AMG wagon
Interesting post for someone considering a tune and living in MA. I’ve got full bolt ons and am wanting to get a tune but do not want to deal with any possible inspection issues. Would having a cloned ECU help avoid this scenario? Would having a downpipe that doesn’t throw codes help? And once you flash your car back to stock, can it be flashed back to its tuned state using Hondata or would you need to take it to a tuner again?
Sponsored

 

Clark_Kent

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2022
Threads
12
Messages
2,122
Reaction score
3,566
Location
Smallville, KS
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R, 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4
Interesting post for someone considering a tune and living in MA. I’ve got full bolt ons and am wanting to get a tune but do not want to deal with any possible inspection issues. Would having a cloned ECU help avoid this scenario? Would having a downpipe that doesn’t throw codes help? And once you flash your car back to stock, can it be flashed back to its tuned state using Hondata or would you need to take it to a tuner again?
It's difficult to say because each state approaches inspections and emissions testing differently. I'm tuned and didn't have an issue in the state of Georgia.
 

AZCWTypeR

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
522
Reaction score
420
Location
Yavapi County, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
MA has a very thorough ECU scan, so very difficult to get modified cars to pass for about the last 10 years.

MA compares the ECU parameters to other cars (of the same model) they've tested. Variations aren't passed. My son's tuned Mk4 GTI was snagged by MA, so he sold it as is.

I installed a canned tune on my (otherwise stock) FR-S, but CT's emission check never caught it. They would have in MA.
 

Clark_Kent

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2022
Threads
12
Messages
2,122
Reaction score
3,566
Location
Smallville, KS
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R, 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4
MA has a very thorough ECU scan, so very difficult to get modified cars to pass for about the last 10 years.

MA compares the ECU parameters to other cars (of the same model) they've tested. Variations aren't passed. My son's tuned Mk4 GTI was snagged by MA, so he sold it as is.

I installed a canned tune on my (otherwise stock) FR-S, but CT's emission check never caught it. They would have in MA.
Makes sense. In GA, they don't do any of that. There's an OBD scan to search for DTCs. If there are no codes, you're good. The two visual inspections are for catalytic converter and fuel cap inspection, which the inspector never performed. I was in and out in about 90 seconds.
 
Last edited:

marcusm86

Senior Member
First Name
Marcus
Joined
Dec 20, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
248
Reaction score
198
Location
Missouri
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type-R
In Missouri i believe you can just turn the rear o2 sensor back on right before the test that way its "not completed" instead of "not supported".. they hook up a computer (thats connected to the vehicle inspection program) to the obd2 to do the testing here.

Im unsure about other states - but as a a previous inspector i know there are normally some ways around these if you end up in a pickle. Here they CAN offer cost based waivers if you spend over $450 trying to fix the failure... keep that in mind over spending 3k like op said someone else did.
 


Montrix

Member
First Name
Andre
Joined
Jan 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
45
Reaction score
40
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2025 Type R SGP
As a fellow Mass resident I wanted to chime in. I've had tuned cars since 2016 and only had an issue passing once. The only time I failed was similar to OP where one of my oxygen sensors was "not ready"(tuner disabled it on my STI during tuning) Once he re-enabled it, I went back to the same location and passed without issue.

Other than that, assuming your sensors are in ready state, I don't see how they would be able to fail you.
 
OP
OP
jtlctr

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
713
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
As a fellow Mass resident I wanted to chime in. I've had tuned cars since 2016 and only had an issue passing once. The only time I failed was similar to OP where one of my oxygen sensors was "not ready"(tuner disabled it on my STI during tuning) Once he re-enabled it, I went back to the same location and passed without issue.

Other than that, assuming your sensors are in ready state, I don't see how they would be able to fail you.
Unfortunately, I think the party is over. From what I’ve read on various forums, MA has pretty much adopted California’s emissions standards, and is now recording calibration ID and verification data. I know for a fact that they are recording this data at every inspection. I tried getting reinspected after having my O2 monitor turned back on, but I still had to visit the “Motorist Assistance Center” which is where they really scrutinize the car for mechanical mods, and check the ECU data. They made me reflash the factory tune, which I did with Hondata, but even then I was forced to go to Honda and have them verify the software was legitimate factory software.
What I am not certain about is if the tune would have been clocked if not for the issue with the O2 monitor. From what I’ve read and what I remember the MAC inspector telling me, you can get through inspection once with software that doesn’t match their database of all other Type Rs registered in MA, but if it’s still off the next year, the car gets automatically flagged in the system.
 

Montrix

Member
First Name
Andre
Joined
Jan 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
45
Reaction score
40
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2025 Type R SGP
Unfortunately, I think the party is over. From what I’ve read on various forums, MA has pretty much adopted California’s emissions standards, and is now recording calibration ID and verification data. I know for a fact that they are recording this data at every inspection. I tried getting reinspected after having my O2 monitor turned back on, but I still had to visit the “Motorist Assistance Center” which is where they really scrutinize the car for mechanical mods, and check the ECU data. They made me reflash the factory tune, which I did with Hondata, but even then I was forced to go to Honda and have them verify the software was legitimate factory software.
What I am not certain about is if the tune would have been clocked if not for the issue with the O2 monitor. From what I’ve read and what I remember the MAC inspector telling me, you can get through inspection once with software that doesn’t match their database of all other Type Rs registered in MA, but if it’s still off the next year, the car gets automatically flagged in the system.
That's insane, have you done an inspection since? I'd be curious if the flashing to stock/getting sent to the MAC was only because of the sensor being disabled or if the tune itself was also "detected"

Happy with the Type R, but was considering tuning. May speed up my move to NH though at this point
 

Ska597

Member
First Name
Sam
Joined
Jul 28, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
26
Reaction score
8
Location
NE
Vehicle(s)
2021 MB E63s AMG wagon
Unfortunately, I think the party is over. From what I’ve read on various forums, MA has pretty much adopted California’s emissions standards, and is now recording calibration ID and verification data. I know for a fact that they are recording this data at every inspection. I tried getting reinspected after having my O2 monitor turned back on, but I still had to visit the “Motorist Assistance Center” which is where they really scrutinize the car for mechanical mods, and check the ECU data. They made me reflash the factory tune, which I did with Hondata, but even then I was forced to go to Honda and have them verify the software was legitimate factory software.
What I am not certain about is if the tune would have been clocked if not for the issue with the O2 monitor. From what I’ve read and what I remember the MAC inspector telling me, you can get through inspection once with software that doesn’t match their database of all other Type Rs registered in MA, but if it’s still off the next year, the car gets automatically flagged in the system.
Would having a cloned ECU help with any of this?
 
OP
OP
jtlctr

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
713
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
That's insane, have you done an inspection since? I'd be curious if the flashing to stock/getting sent to the MAC was only because of the sensor being disabled or if the tune itself was also "detected"

Happy with the Type R, but was considering tuning. May speed up my move to NH though at this point
That’s what I don’t know, but what I've read is that a car will pass with unique software once, but if it’s still unique the next year, it will get flagged. The inspector that I dealt with said something similar as well. I don’t know why it’s done that way, but my guess is that if the state inspection system detects unique software one year, it could mean that there was a recent software update, and that’s why there are no or only a few matches in the system. Then the following year that new software would show up more and more as new or updated cars get inspected. So the system is comparing each cars software ID with that of every other car of the same make and model.
Luckily, returning the ECU to stock through Hondata flashes legitimate software from Honda. I passed 2 years in a row now by doing this. I don’t think everyone is so lucky. Last year, when I went through all of this, the inspector told me he was dealing with some poor guy with an Audi that had to buy a new ECU from the dealer in order to pass, and it cost him $3k!

So, if you want to tune your car, you can reflash the OEM programming for inspection once a year, which is no big deal as long as your bolt ons will function on the factory tune. Which basically means fuel system and turbo upgrades are out.
 


OP
OP
jtlctr

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
713
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Would having a cloned ECU help with any of this?
Either a cloned stock ECU or just flashing the factory software once per year for inspection should work the same I believe.
 

zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
672
Reaction score
623
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5
Curious.

I am in CA and have the COBB intake, which requires COBB OTS map because of the larger MAF housing.

Both the intake and the OTS map have CARB EO stickers

I assume that this setup with the stickers will pass CA emissions, as it makes no sense to flush back to original Honda map (and it might fail emission due to MAF measurement offset?)

Though it seems that I do not have to worry about for six more years, first inspection is eight years after model year. i.e. 2033 for my 2025
 

Montrix

Member
First Name
Andre
Joined
Jan 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
45
Reaction score
40
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2025 Type R SGP
That’s what I don’t know, but what I've read is that a car will pass with unique software once, but if it’s still unique the next year, it will get flagged. The inspector that I dealt with said something similar as well. I don’t know why it’s done that way, but my guess is that if the state inspection system detects unique software one year, it could mean that there was a recent software update, and that’s why there are no or only a few matches in the system. Then the following year that new software would show up more and more as new or updated cars get inspected. So the system is comparing each cars software ID with that of every other car of the same make and model.
Luckily, returning the ECU to stock through Hondata flashes legitimate software from Honda. I passed 2 years in a row now by doing this. I don’t think everyone is so lucky. Last year, when I went through all of this, the inspector told me he was dealing with some poor guy with an Audi that had to buy a new ECU from the dealer in order to pass, and it cost him $3k!

So, if you want to tune your car, you can reflash the OEM programming for inspection once a year, which is no big deal as long as your bolt ons will function on the factory tune. Which basically means fuel system and turbo upgrades are out.
That's good to know, I don't have any big turbo ambitions any time soon but if flashing to stock solves it, might still be the way to go. Not sure I want to be the test dummy and have to go through the whole debacle so I'll likely flash to stock just in case lol

Curious.

I am in CA and have the COBB intake, which requires COBB OTS map because of the larger MAF housing.

Both the intake and the OTS map have CARB EO stickers

I assume that this setup with the stickers will pass CA emissions, as it makes no sense to flush back to original Honda map (and it might fail emission due to MAF measurement offset?)

Though it seems that I do not have to worry about for six more years, first inspection is eight years after model year. i.e. 2033 for my 2025
Unfortunately for us here in Mass it's less of an emissions issue and moreso the people who make laws don't know what they're talking about. There's a data center in the middle of town a couple of towns over lol. This does bring up a good point and I'm going to reach out to a couple of tuners as well as Cobb directly. I'm interested to see what they have to say/think of the situation.
 
OP
OP
jtlctr

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
713
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Curious.

I am in CA and have the COBB intake, which requires COBB OTS map because of the larger MAF housing.

Both the intake and the OTS map have CARB EO stickers

I assume that this setup with the stickers will pass CA emissions, as it makes no sense to flush back to original Honda map (and it might fail emission due to MAF measurement offset?)

Though it seems that I do not have to worry about for six more years, first inspection is eight years after model year. i.e. 2033 for my 2025
You should be fine if everything is CARB approved.
 
OP
OP
jtlctr

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
713
Reaction score
883
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Unfortunately for us here in Mass it's less of an emissions issue and moreso the people who make laws don't know what they're talking about. There's a data center in the middle of town a couple of towns over lol. This does bring up a good point and I'm going to reach out to a couple of tuners as well as Cobb directly. I'm interested to see what they have to say/think of the situation.
You should have heard the guy who I worked with at the MAC. He has the same sentiments about how meaningless the laws are. Like why are we worried about a handful of people modifying their cars among all the jets, trains, and industrial polluters?!

I wonder how many catless downpipes it would take to equal one flight out of Logan in terms of pollution.
Sponsored

 
 







Top