• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gotta remove front clip...Tips for NEWB?

TK23-FL5

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FL5
Getting ready to pull front clip after tires and wheels go on today to add APR carbon front lip. ramps? jacks? thoughts? This lip is laying on my office floor and i havent even unwrapped it. Petrified to jack something up. Worked on trucks and jeeps so many times.....this just feels fore.....fragile. prob just in my head...
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
Watch some youtube videos. I'd jack up the front a little just to have easier access to all the pop clips underneath. The front bumper on the FL5 is much easier than the FK8 was to remove. There are also no fog led plugs to worry about. Just be careful and patient and itll come off fine. 2nd pair of hands always helps. If not, put down a towel underneath in case bumper falls down and hits ground. Post pics of the APR lip when you get it installed, or now if you have any :)

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
The latches that hold the bumper to the body just below the headlights are quite tough to unlatch - i would suggest using plenty of masking tape and using a plastic trim tool to get into those latches to lift up the tabs to release the bumper. That is the hardest part of the removal. Avoid using the bumper itself as a fulcrum point for the trim tool as it is easily marked/dented.

mparra11

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Anyone have a video of the front bumper removal?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm planning to make a video to show how to do this at some point, but it's pretty darn cold out, and plastic is really brittle in the cold. I'll have to wait for warmer weather for this. My biggest advice, once all fasteners are removed, and you've already released the corners of the bumpers from the fender area and hood area are to put your fingers into the brake cooling ducts on the front bumpers and gently pull forward. This method seems to work really well to get the clips to pop underneath the headlights without causing any damage.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The latches that hold the bumper to the body just below the headlights are quite tough to unlatch - i would suggest using plenty of masking tape and using a plastic trim tool to get into those latches to lift up the tabs to release the bumper. That is the hardest part of the removal. Avoid using the bumper itself as a fulcrum point for the trim tool as it is easily marked/dented.
I found a "cheat code" to getting the clips under the headlights to release. No tools required. If you stick 3 or 4 fingers into the brake cooling ducts and give it a quick jerk, they come unlatched without causing damage!

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
I agree the clips under the headlights were the most nerve wracking. My plastic push pin removal tool was actually bent at the perfect angle for me to slide in and push down on the clips.
Sponsored