• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hondata CARB tune - technical

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Hondata CARB tune - technical

For those of you who are new to Honda and are considering the 11th generation platform here’s a quick primer on Hondata. Hondata was founded by two enthusiastic Kiwi CRX owners who wanted their cars to go faster. We’ve been providing Honda tuning solutions for well over 20 years and support Honda’s racing programs.

The founding pillars of Hondata are:
  • Honesty and integrity
  • Education
  • Quality
  • Accuracy
Education session to follow. Please ask questions. It is possible to have clean, green and fast. Here’s how we do it.

Cliff notes.
  • The clutch needs upgrading to run peak torque.
  • The turbo has margin for more boost, but for race engines only, as you will need a downpipe and intercooler.
  • The Injectors are the same as the 10th Si, so the 11th gen has similar power capabilities
Boost
We display boost in kPa. This is the native pressure unit of the ECU.
  1. 0 kPa is the vacuum of outer space
  2. 100 kpa is atmospheric pressure
  3. 200 kPa is twice atmospheric pressure (14.5 psi)
Peak boost is not as important as area under the curve for the broadest possible power delivery.

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_boost_stock_vs_carb

Airfuel

The 22 Civics run 14.7 air fuel until 4250 rpm wide open throttle for economy. We richen this for more power. Your MPG will drop at wide open throttle. Part throttle is unchanged. Just to be clear, normal driving, your economy is stock. Spirited driving will use more fuel.

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_airfuel_stock_vs_carb

Air temperatures
Stock, the 22 Si runs 73-77F in warm southern California. Our CARB tune heats the intake air to 82F. 5 degrees F is 1% air density and power. A larger intercooler will help reduce the air temps, but depending on how you use your car, it can end up slower with a larger intercooler. A larger intercooler takes longer to fill with air, reducing throttle response. Honda in a 25 hour race reverted back to stock intercoolers because the car was faster out of corners.

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_iat_stock_vs_carb_boost

The road to more power is to get more air into the engine. This is measured in grams/second

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_afm-maf_stock_vs_carb

Duty tells us the percentage of injector usage. 30% stock, 33.5% boosted. You cannot exceed 50% or you will spray fuel out the exhaust or at the time the spark is firing. Either way, not good. E85 requires 40% more fuel really loading up the injectors. As this is a CARB thread, this is a discussion for another thread.

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_duty_stock_vs_carb

WG command;
Wastegate command, is the boost control. 0mm is fully closed where the turbo is likely overspeeding. This indicates the Civic in a race configuration has a capacity for more boost.

11th Gen Honda Civic Hondata CARB tune - technical 22_civic_wastegate_stock_vs_carb
Sponsored

Last edited:

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Looking forward to a possible "street", tune which hopefully allows retaining stock components with exception of maybe a clutch upgrade down the road. Thanks for providing great tech. I'm old enough remember there used to be a Honda related "tech" forum with posts such as this...:)

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Looking at each of the parameters above, it looks like the two lines represent stock and "tuned" data? If so, very interesting. Looks like there is a fair amount of headroom with tuning.
Did Honda determine why both engines at Thunderhill failed? Was it a internal engine issue or something else?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Yes, stock and highish boost, but not the maximum possible boost. So, yes, there is headroom. I'll go into detail on release.

Thunderhill engines - unknown. An engine swap from a street 22 Civic Si into one race car crossed the finish line.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Yes, stock and highish boost, but not the maximum possible boost. So, yes, there is headroom. I'll go into detail on release.

Thunderhill engines - unknown. An engine swap from a street 22 Civic Si into one race car crossed the finish line.
Looking forward to seeing the technical write-up. I am completely new to turbo engines. I had a '97 GSR which I bought new in the fall of 1997 which was a great platform. Tons of data available for the B-series engines but to get power out of it needed revs and never made any real torque. I think I like the less frenetic nature of the l15 as I get older. :)

Edit: Looking at the boost pressure graph, it looks like the turbo produced ~35psi of boost?! If I'm doing the conversion right from google: psi value = kPa value x .145

Last edited:

Kullervo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic Si
Looking forward to seeing the technical write-up. I am completely new to turbo engines. I had a '97 GSR which I bought new in the fall of 1997 which was a great platform. Tons of data available for the B-series engines but to get power out of it needed revs and never made any real torque. I think I like the less frenetic nature of the l15 as I get older. :)

Edit: Looking at the boost pressure graph, it looks like the turbo produced ~35psi of boost?! If I'm doing the conversion right from google: psi value = kPa value x .145
That’s not right. Looks to be around 248 kPa, which is ~ 18 psi.

2 kPa is around .145 psi.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Oggsr and Kullervo, here's the way you convert kPa to psi in terms of a turbo:

Start with 248 kPa. Subtract atmospheric pressure (100 kPa). So you're looking at 148 kPa which is 21.46 psi. Looks like stock peak boost was around 17.4 psi based on the graph.

Also if you look at Hondata's graph showing boost, it's odd how the Honda stock tune drops off noticeably from about 4200-5000 rpm until it builds up again. The Hondata tune seems to do a great job of fixing/improving that.

By the way if anyone in the community tunes their car, add it to my 11th gen tuning reliability & experience thread. My similar gen 10 thread is still going strong at CivicX.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-11th-gen-experience-reliability-survey.50251/

Last edited:

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Oggsr and Kullervo, here's the way you convert kPa to psi in terms of a turbo:

Start with 248 kPa. Subtract atmospheric pressure (100 kPa). So you're looking at 148 kPa which is 21.46 psi. Looks like stock peak boost was around 17.4 psi based on the graph.

Also if you look at Hondata's graph showing boost, it's odd how the Honda stock tune drops off noticeably from about 4200-5000 rpm until it builds up again. The Hondata tune seems to do a great job of fixing/improving that.

By the way if anyone in the community tunes their car, add it to my 11th gen tuning reliability & experience thread. My similar gen 10 thread is still going strong at CivicX.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-11th-gen-experience-reliability-survey.50251/
Ahh. Makes sense to start at atmospheric pressure and then go from there. Just curious, as altitude increases, does the ECU compensate overall lower atmospheric pressure?
Sponsored