• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tune/rev hang

McSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Si, '09 Porsche Boxster
How effective are any of the available tunes at helping to mitigate the gawdawful rev hang? Is one in particular better than the others? I've also read that tuning out the rev hang can have some disadvantages as well...can anyone elaborate? Thanks.
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
How effective are any of the available tunes at helping to mitigate the gawdawful rev hang? Is one in particular better than the others? I've also read that tuning out the rev hang can have some disadvantages as well...can anyone elaborate? Thanks.
If you disable rev hang the car will be harder to drive smoothly since the car will not artificially hold the revs for you. You will need to relearn the car on slow shifting.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I would imagine anyone complaining about rev hang would be willing...

OP
OP

McSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you disable rev hang the car will be harder to drive smoothly since the car will not artificially hold the revs for you. You will need to relearn the car on slow shifting.
So if I disable rev hang I will have to shift SLOWER? That's why I wanted to disable rev hang to begin with. I don't need the car to hold revs for me, I capable of determining the correct shift/throttle combination myself.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So if I disable rev hang I will have to shift SLOWER? That's why I wanted to disable rev hang to begin with. I don't need the car to hold revs for me, I capable of determining the correct shift/throttle combination myself.
No you will actually have to shift faster. Since on slow shifts it will drop faster since its not holding it for you.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Adjust your shifts (faster) for slow/casual driving when youā€™re not revving it high. In general, you want to keep this car around 2500 rpms or more. Base your shift timing on this and you should be able to largely avoid ā€œjerkingā€ per another thread on this topic.šŸ¤£

Last edited:
OP
OP

McSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it y'all, thanks. I'm still conflicted on whether or not to tune an essentially brand new car (although I've done it before without issue).

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Got it y'all, thanks. I'm still conflicted on whether or not to tune an essentially brand new car (although I've done it before without issue).
Iā€™m going to tune mine. Too much left on the table to not take some šŸ˜‚. I would be happy with mid 300ā€™s to the wheel for track duty.

AB_22Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to share my experience. The stock tune holds revs when shifting above 4K. You never really notice until you start spirited driving. I have the TSP Stage 1+ tune which disables rev hang but tunes the throttle in a way that it is really smooth when shifting fast. Donā€™t really have anything negative to say about it because it makes high RPM shifting a lot better and donā€™t really notice a big difference with normal driving. That being said, the revs still fall slowly naturally because even though the car has a single mass flywheel, itā€™s still pretty heavy at 19lbs. Hope this helps.
Sponsored