• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Phearable Stage 2 ECU tune review

Aero1900

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Phearable Stage 2 ECU tune review

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting John Vega and having him load the Phearable Stage 2 tune with the multi tune option on my FL5 Type R.

I have had a few tuned cars in the past, mostly VW GTIs. Coming to the Type R I was disappointed to find out that the ECU needed to be unlocked in order to get a tune. I almost attended a Hondata "jailbreak" event but the timing didn't work out for me. I'm very lucky to have found out that I live very near John with Phearable and was able to have the unlock and tune done locally (Tampa, FL)

I chose to do the 91 octane tune even though I have access to 93 octane. I did this to be more conservative as I will be tracking my car a lot. If I was just going to do the occasional highway pull and spirited driving I would have done the 93 octane tune as it makes a bit more power. When you do a 20 minute track session you are beating on the car and creating way more heat that a single highway pull. For this reason I went with the slightly more conservative option. That being said, it still creates a lot more power than the Hondata tune.

The multi tune option allows you to quickly and easily cycle between tunes using the cruise control. Couldn't be easier.

Upon first start up, the car started and idled perfectly. Encouraging right off the bat.

I could tell the car was running differently without even getting hard on the gas. Leisurely crusing through my neighborhood I could tell the engine ran differently by just applying 1/4 throttle at 2500rpm. The throttle response, boost and it must be the engine timing gave the car an obvious edge over how it was before.

After a few full throttle pulls up near redline, the extra power is obvious. The turbo seems to spool faster and harder. The power across the rev range was substantial and it pulled hard and smooth all the way to redline. Instantly satisfied.

It's hard to describe how much more power it has but it's clear that it's tuned and making more. I had some tuned VWs back when I lived in Colorado. Because of the high elevation the tunes didn't make as much power. The Phearable tune at sea level is different. There's absolutely no question the car is making significantly more power. The best way I can describe it is to say that it's almost like a class of car above where it was. Think Civic Si > Type R or Eco Boost > Mustang GT. It's not quite that much, but its close. The Si makes 100 less HP than the Type R. The Phearable tune added 75 HP (91 octane version). It feels it.

I did the optional exhaust pops/ crackle tune. You can choose between no crackle, Integra Type S crackle or a more aggressive option. I chose the one that mimics the ITS crackle. It works great but it's fairly quiet. I'm happy I picked what I did as it could get old if you picked the aggressive one and got tired of it. Maybe, maybe not. Definitely personal preference. But I think it really adds to the fun of the car. I would highly recommend doing one of the options.

I expected the car to feel faster on a wide open throttle rip to redline but in didn't expect it to feel stronger at part throttle at lower rpm but it does. It feels like a bigger motor. If you've driven a V8 Mustang you know the feeling of more low end torque. This has that kind of feel. It's more satisfying than I expected it to be. The other thing I noticed is the car did seem to be a little louder than before. To the point the I asked John if the tune opens the exhaust valve all the time. He said it doesn't and it still operates as factory.

If you are on the fence or wondering if it's worth it, I would definitely say it is. 75 hp is significant. You can do an intake, downpipe, turbo inlet and get maybe 5 to 10hp. This is not that. For $1000 this truly changed the car.
Sponsored

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
I did the optional exhaust pops/ crackle tune. You can choose between no crackle, Integra Type S crackle or a more aggressive option. I chose the one that mimics the ITS crackle. It works great but it's fairly quiet. I'm happy I picked what I did as it could get old if you picked the aggressive one and got tired of it. Maybe, maybe not. Definitely personal preference. But I think it really adds to the fun of the car. I would highly recommend doing one of the options.
Hey there. I also recently purchased the Phearable tune with the ITS-equivalent pops & bangs. Have you noticed that the pops are only present for the first few minutes of driving, then it seems to go away (or get much quieter)?

I sent them an email about this, and they responded:
It sounds like the catalyst temperature was over the safety threshold allowed for pops & bangs

The weird thing is, I don't have this issue with the Hondata 93 basemap. The pops & bangs last for the entire drive.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hey there. I also recently purchased the Phearable tune with the ITS-equivalent pops & bangs. Have you noticed that the pops are only present for the first few minutes of driving, then it seems to go away (or get much quieter)?

It sounds like the catalyst temperature was over the safety threshold allowed for pops & bangs

The weird thing is, I don't have this issue with the Hondata 93 basemap. The pops & bangs last for the entire drive.
Depends in what settings they are using. What mods do you have? Also check for codes.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
Depends in what settings they are using. What mods do you have? Also check for codes.
TSP downpipe and other, probably irrelevant stuff (large resonator delete, valve open via fuse pull, sprint air filter).

Thanks for the idea about checking for codes. I'll do that next time.

OP
OP
Aero1900

Aero1900

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5

I just got this done yesterday. I'll do some more driving and let you know. But no, so far I have not noticed that

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
TSP downpipe and other, probably irrelevant stuff (large resonator delete, valve open via fuse pull, sprint air filter).

Thanks for the idea about checking for codes. I'll do that next time.
Yeah you probably have one of those codes that donā€™t trigger a CEL.

Yorkman1

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type-R #170001
Iā€™m curious to see the logs on a 3rd gear pull with the tune. See how it looks under load and at 6500+ RPM

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I have a free Phearable Stage 2 tune that I got with ordering my Hondata through them. They sent me the file a few months ago.

If I wanted to get it with the ITS pops and bangs, would I have to reach out to them?

Nopp2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
yes I believe there is a 99$ charge to change the tune in any way

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
yes I believe there is a 99$ charge to change the tune in any way
And I donā€™t charge anything for little adjustments like that.šŸ˜‚

Man Iā€™m really going to have to up my prices.
Sponsored