• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit

apexracer1904

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si, 2019 FK8, 2024 FL5
As I think we all know, The Type R's stereo isn't great. The FL5 is significantly better imo than the FK8 but still not great.

I decided to try the Palindrome Labs kit that allows you to put a bigger subwoofer in but keep the stock appearance. Now I'm no audiophile and didn't expect booming bass but the reviews I read and claim is about 60% more bass. No way, no how. In my opinion it's barely noticeable. Apart from that the the quality in terms of fit and finish just is not there. The price came out to $630 dollars for the kit. You can buy the speaker from Audio Control for $200. So that means $430 (I had a coupon code) for the housing essentially. For that price I expected a very high quality product. That is not what was delivered. There are no instructions, you have to find those online. No stencil for the grill housing (majorly frustrating task) and the quality is like someone is making them out of their garage. I'm not trying to just dig on this company as I think they are really making them out of their garage and it's a great concept and I like to support small business. There are glue marks that's seeped all through the covering, wood isn't sanded and he said that's by design (i know you don't see the wood) but expectation for $430+ dollars is a refined end user product.
In light of this I'll be installing an amp this weekend in hopes of actually getting some bass out of the subwoofer. I wish I had seen a review like this prior to ordering and knew to be prepared to spend an additional "minimum" of $600 for amp addition.
In fairness he did offer to send another grill and I told him could but probably wouldn't put it on cause it was the difficult to get the first one on. Guess he decided not to cause never got one. If it were my business though and a customer sent me images of my subpar product. I would have hand picked the nicest kit I have and sent it anyway.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_173640

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_180152

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_180211

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_182839

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_182843

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_182848

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_183119

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_183126

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_184948

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_203449

11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240508_211043
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
Good review I was pretty shocked people said this sounded better bc there was no way the stock amp could drive that subwoofer. They should never had marketed it that way, it was always going to need an amp, now the question is whether or not that enclosure holds up to that subs excursion when amplified. Good luck and hopefully someone comes out with a full kit and perhaps better built reinforced.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
This is the first actual review of this product I've seen. I've been debating on getting this myself, but after reading your review on it, I think I'm going to pass.

Hope to see what you end up doing with it and it all works out in the end.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I still can't believe they charge $400 for spacers and a grill cover. I would love to upgrade my sub and use the stock location. Are you planning on putting the amp in the spare tire area? Can you use the existing sub connections to feed the amp as audio in?

OP
OP
apexracer1904

apexracer1904

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still can't believe they charge $400 for spacers and a grill cover. I would love to upgrade my sub and use the stock location. Are you planning on putting the amp in the spare tire area? Can you use the existing sub connections to feed the amp as audio in?
I feel kinda stupid now honestly for having bought it, especially at that price. Really loved the idea of keeping the stock look and space in the rear and the "reviews" seemed legit.
I am installing in the spare tire area. I am using the lc2i pro so I only have to run power back there, no remote wire needed as it picks up the signal from the exising subwoofer speakers to let it know to turn on. RCA wires run fromt the LC2i to the amp. Also using the Audio control mini amp ACM.1300 that he and others recommended. Trying to sort out how to place the amp and lc2i since the FL5 spare tire foam is much smaller. I am no audio head so it will be interesting to see how I do. A little worried about heat down there but if it turns out to be too hot, I'll spend real time on trying to kit in some 12 volt pc fans. A little above my skill level but youtube is great for that.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 acura integra 6 mt
@apexracer1904 following because I'm interested in doing something similar, although mine is an integra. Hoping you can document your progress if possible 🙏

Also, I thought the acm1300 has a built in lc2i?

Lastly, if they do send a replacement grille, would love yo buy your defective one

OP
OP
apexracer1904

apexracer1904

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@apexracer1904 following because I'm interested in doing something similar, although mine is an integra. Hoping you can document your progress if possible 🙏

Lastly, if they do send a replacement grille, would love yo buy your defective one
Dang... you are right! I didn't dive in. You just saved me some time and money since I can return the LC2i. lol

I suck at documenting upgrades but will try.

Doubt they will but if so, I'll hit you up.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 acura integra 6 mt
NIce, ty! Also, do you have a link to palindromes instructions online? curious about their instructions on stage 2 build that inlcudes the amp.

OP
OP
apexracer1904

apexracer1904

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Thanks for your honest review. I saw this kit was in development when I first got my car and was excited until I saw the price. Seems outrageous for a spacer and grille cover.

I didn't realize the parts were actually wood until I saw your photos.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Isn't there a way to just put a box with a sub and an amp back there?

OP
OP
apexracer1904

apexracer1904

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Amp installed, I tried to take pics and will do a write up tomorrow and link it here. As I said, I'm not a audiohead really so my install isn't as clean as probably most everybody else's but pretty good for me. I will say the amp is a super straightforward install. And it is a night and day difference. For people who sadly bought the palindrome labs kit like me, if you really want to see if it's actually working without an amp, change the sound settings to rear only. And you'll see it is doing absolutely nothing.
11th Gen Honda Civic Honest review of Palindrome Lab FL5 upgrade kit 20240525_223651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 acura integra 6 mt
Would love to see it and the writeup! Curious if you share your wiring. I assume turning the speaker lines from the subs, and converting to rcas, then input into the acm?
Sponsored

Last edited: