• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I switched from GRC to FL5, here are my notes

1970B302

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just about everything
I also was on NASIOC and other OG forums (that I still visit) for many years and have owned all these cars amongst the 40+ cars I’ve had in the last 10 years. I’ve never had a type R. I always end up refusing to pay markup, and buy something else. It’s the old school Sicilian $ mentality that keeps me out of paying a dime over sticker, or really a discount. My first GRC was one of the first to land it was $500 off MSRP, it was black (no choice) got rid of it and finally got a white one for $2200 off msrp. The catch is zero package but 1800 in bs options from Toyota , not add ons by the dealer, PPF hood, side door, bumper , fabric coating and ceramic, 2 sets of mats, $800 care packs. Anyways, my black one was a loaded core all 3 packs. The stereo is noticeably worse, but I cannot find any difference in handling besides in the wet. Actually, the car without the diff is a little more playful.

call me crazy but I prefer the OG class of 04 (04-07 that is) cars to the new stuff. 2004-07 sti, 04 VW R32, 03-06 evo 8/9. They just felt special, and like I was buying more than just a car. The Corollas steering is perfectly fine for a modern sub 60k performance car. My father’s brand new S4 has Camry like steering feel in comparison. My problem with all these cars is performance.

my stock 2005 STI back in 2017 beat a FK8 type R from a 40 roll and 60 roll. Only at triple digits does the type R eventually pass during my experience….My focus RS was beat even worse by my 05 STI, and my 2016 STI I owned for near 5 years since new (sold for the RS) got demolished by my 05. The 04-06 STIs where slightly quicker straight line than the USDM evos, but would expect them to beat the same cars mine did.

Have you ever driven an FK8? I read some posts where people mentioned that car felt more compact and vicious that the new one, yet has great visibility. If the GRC starts to bother me, or I want to try something new, I may look for a virgin FK8 to DD instead. If it feels more like the cars from back in the day than the FL5 and my GRC happily try it out.

I know I probably sound wacky, but if two competent YouTubers compared a FL5, GD STI( not a 07 because of the choker emission tune ) , GRC, and a evo IX RS or MR and the old cars had the same or comparable modern tires and suspensions that weren’t out of wack I think we’d find that the old STI and evo out accelerates them, and the evo comes very close to the FK & FL5 on the right track
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I also was on NASIOC and other OG forums (that I still visit) for many years and have owned all these cars amongst the 40+ cars I’ve had in the last 10 years. I’ve never had a type R. I always end up refusing to pay markup, and buy something else. It’s the old school Sicilian $ mentality that keeps me out of paying a dime over sticker, or really a discount. My first GRC was one of the first to land it was $500 off MSRP, it was black (no choice) got rid of it and finally got a white one for $2200 off msrp. The catch is zero package but 1800 in bs options from Toyota , not add ons by the dealer, PPF hood, side door, bumper , fabric coating and ceramic, 2 sets of mats, $800 care packs. Anyways, my black one was a loaded core all 3 packs. The stereo is noticeably worse, but I cannot find any difference in handling besides in the wet. Actually, the car without the diff is a little more playful.

call me crazy but I prefer the OG class of 04 (04-07 that is) cars to the new stuff. 2004-07 sti, 04 VW R32, 03-06 evo 8/9. They just felt special, and like I was buying more than just a car. The Corollas steering is perfectly fine for a modern sub 60k performance car. My father’s brand new S4 has Camry like steering feel in comparison. My problem with all these cars is performance.

my stock 2005 STI back in 2017 beat a FK8 type R from a 40 roll and 60 roll. Only at triple digits does the type R eventually pass during my experience….My focus RS was beat even worse by my 05 STI, and my 2016 STI I owned for near 5 years since new (sold for the RS) got demolished by my 05. The 04-06 STIs where slightly quicker straight line than the USDM evos, but would expect them to beat the same cars mine did.

Have you ever driven an FK8? I read some posts where people mentioned that car felt more compact and vicious that the new one, yet has great visibility. If the GRC starts to bother me, or I want to try something new, I may look for a virgin FK8 to DD instead. If it feels more like the cars from back in the day than the FL5 and my GRC happily try it out.

I know I probably sound wacky, but if two competent YouTubers compared a FL5, GD STI( not a 07 because of the choker emission tune ) , GRC, and a evo IX RS or MR and the old cars had the same or comparable modern tires and suspensions that weren’t out of wack I think we’d find that the old STI and evo out accelerates them, and the evo comes very close to the FK & FL5 on the right track
I agree with most of this, the rawness of the older cars is just on another level. Having owned a GD and VA chassis STI. I sold my GD a few years ago along with my VA, the good thing I still have access to my old GD since I sold it to a friend. So it stays pretty fresh in my mind even though now it has 608whp lol.

In a straight line acceleration from a roll, the old GD sti and Evo would get destroyed by the FK8 and FL5 stock for stock. They are lighter than the evo and subaru with more power, even trap speeds show that. I took my bone stock GD STI to the 1/4 mile and I was lucky to break 100-101mph and evos were around the same.

Now from a dig the awd advantage plays a big role on a quick acceleration test and they will keep the lead for a good while over a type R.

Now handling they are all great cars and even back then the STi and Evo’s came with even more aggressive tires but of old technology than the FK8 and FL5 ever did from the factory with the Evo being the better track car. Steering feel on the civics is numb compared to those two. But one thing I will say for the FL5 is that the steering rack ratio immediately reminded me of the evo 8-9 feeling of telepathic response while cruising on the highway. The subaru had more of a dead spot and a slower rack that was fixed in 2015.

I think they are all great cars, but at least the FL5 feels the most mature out of the bunch and we will never get cars like that ever again. So it will totally depend on what you want out of your car and if it will be your only one. A nice evo 9 will be very close to a FL5 in Price these days. The subaru’s can be had for a bit cheaper.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
I did the same thing. I had a fully optioned 23 core GRC. I ended up hating that car. It had tenacious grip and decent handling, but it also had some really bad handling quirks that I really didn't like. Overall, the experience was so plasticky, featureless, and didn't feel special at all. I totally disagree on the shifter; it felt plasticky, clunky, and vauge. The clutch was another story, and even worse in comparison to the CTR. I literally don't miss my GRC at all, yet I really enjoy the CTR on so many levels.
All the GRC needed was a new weighted shift knob and it was lightyears better.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR

Is this Pre?

OP
OP
fredzy

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I did the same thing. I had a fully optioned 23 core GRC. I ended up hating that car. It had tenacious grip and decent handling, but it also had some really bad handling quirks that I really didn't like. Overall, the experience was so plasticky, featureless, and didn't feel special at all. I totally disagree on the shifter; it felt plasticky, clunky, and vauge. The clutch was another story, and even worse in comparison to the CTR. I literally don't miss my GRC at all, yet I really enjoy the CTR on so many levels.
You need to stop holding back and tell us how you really feel

:p

Wait, you went from a Core with the LSDs to one without the LSDs? And you didn't die? You need to post a writeup in the GRC forums about that. They might start a gofundme to get you psychiatric care 😆

I had a non-PP core. I let the talk about the LSDs get to me a little. Basically it drove me to learn exactly how a Torsen works so I could understand the dynamic effects they would have, figure for myself what I was missing out on. Takeaway: not much. For an AWD car with tons of grip, you really need to be pushing hard + fairly sharp curve for the LSDs to lock up and do their thing. Else, they actually contribute to understeer. I don't even think they would buy you anything on a typical track, especially if you put stickier tires on the car with stock power.

I agree there was a specialness to those cars in the class of 05. Too bad I was a poor college kid and couldn't hope to afford one at the time!

Is this Pre?
No, he is the anti-Pre. I can point out several reasons but the big one is Pre would never have traded down from a GRC with the diffs to one without. Just learning that this ever happened might kill the man.

1970B302

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just about everything
I remember PRE from IWSTI if my memory serves me correctly.

I traded down for a white one and haven’t regretted it at all. The JBL sound system in the loaded core wasn’t all that great, I never use heated steering wheel or seats, so I just didn’t care all that much. I knew for my cars purpose DD in 95% of situations the diff pack wouldn’t make any difference in feel. I will say the Corolla interior (aside from the seats shifter and steering wheel) feels cheap as hell. The dashboard is ugly, the doors are hard plastic, and the cheap piano black trim around the shifter is lame. I never thought the 04-07 STIs, after the 05 refresh, had a “cheap” interior. I thought the blue carpets , steering wheel, shifter with that aluminum surround really did a nice job of making it feel special. Back then a E46 M3 didn’t have a interior that felt super high quality in comparison, and with the NAV screen was just ugly to look at

1970B302

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just about everything
Also my GRCs door handles might be the cheapest I’ve had in any car outside of my old GTI & Scirocco 16V which are too old to even complain about

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Thank you for the detailed writeup. I have wondered if the GRC would be a good alternative.
Well worth reading.

Regarding your review, thinking I am good with the CTR. No snow here, and don't want to give up storage or room.
Sponsored