• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Intake box uncovered.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Looks like it opens up into the larger chamber that's closed off by the plastic cover. Seems like it could be a helmholtz resonator to help tune induction sound.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
Looks like it opens up into the larger chamber that's closed off by the plastic cover. Seems like it could be a helmholtz resonator to help tune induction sound.
I think you might be right.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, Honda Accord CU1( Acura TSX 2nd Gen)
You can put dry ice in there šŸ˜

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Considering there are shots looking though the pipe, and nothing is there, I think itā€™s literally just a decoration.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Yeah! I mentioned this is another thread and Iā€™m fairly certain weā€™ll be seeing this at the track.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
i did notice spoon wrapped theirs with heat reflective tape...

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Considering there are shots looking though the pipe, and nothing is there, I think itā€™s literally just a decoration.
Do you have a link to the shots?
The only ones I've seen of the cross section are on an angle that hides this J pipe.
You can (just) see in this photo there is an opening in the intake where this meets.
11th Gen Honda Civic Intake box uncovered. intake

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Keep in mind that if it's working as a helmholtz resonator (astonished Honda spent the effort to tune the induction noise - don't recall it was a complaint on the FK8) it actually has an open passage and feeds into the intake charge. So you wouldn't want CO2 being fed into your intake charge but I know it's a joke. Would be 'cool' though to have a convenient way of lowering intake temps by 80+ degrees for a drag run or something though!

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Keep in mind that if it's working as a helmholtz resonator (astonished Honda spent the effort to tune the induction noise - don't recall it was a complaint on the FK8) it actually has an open passage and feeds into the intake charge. So you wouldn't want CO2 being fed into your intake charge but I know it's a joke. Would be 'cool' though to have a convenient way of lowering intake temps by 80+ degrees for a drag run or something though!
Product idea: Helmholtz Resonator Delete.

Wait, wouldnā€™t that just be an intakeā€¦? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
yeah that smaller J shaped runner that comes off the large intake pipe opens up into that chamber, you can see the opening. The black chamber cover is also held in place with some serious sized bolts and it looks like the edge of the black plate may have a gasket in place on its circumference to form some kind of seal. I think the chamber has more of a design purpose than just cosmetic. If the plate was just cosmetic they would not use large bolts that are removable, they could have just used an adhesive or rivets. The large removable bolts mean that the black plate has some kind of purpose that is meant to be opened up if needed.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
If it is a helmholtz resonator chamber, the plastic cover enables some cool possibilities. You could swap it out for ones that sit a little higher or lower, and this would change the volume of the chamber and change induction sound.

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
yeah that smaller J shaped runner that comes off the large intake pipe opens up into that chamber, you can see the opening. The black chamber cover is also held in place with some serious sized bolts and it looks like the edge of the black plate may have a gasket in place on its circumference to form some kind of seal. I think the chamber has more of a design purpose than just cosmetic. If the plate was just cosmetic they would not use large bolts that are removable, they could have just used an adhesive or rivets. The large removable bolts mean that the black plate has some kind of purpose that is meant to be opened up if needed.
Whatā€™s in the box???

wili

First Name
Vili
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
I am not sure I can recognize its completely open below the plate, but if it is, looks like really nice place for intake filter and BIG front cold air feed placement for some WRC model or something thru scoop or front grill or whatever :D