• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ktuner vs Hondata

CivicDuty22

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 si
Not sure which one to buy, looking to tune the car in the future for that extra bit of horsepower.
Sponsored

Violence HD

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
KTuner unless you're dead set on being CARB legal, in which case Hondata has a CARB-legal unit that won't let you do much.

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
From what I seen Ktuner is more user friendly if you are using OTS tunes from like TSP and Phearable, but I asked my tuner and he prefers Hondata. From what I heard, Hondata has more parameters and you can tune on the fly whereas the Ktuner is a bit more limited and you have to reflash after each adjustment.

OP
OP
CivicDuty22

CivicDuty22

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 si
KTuner unless you're dead set on being CARB legal, in which case Hondata has a CARB-legal unit that won't let you do much.
How important is being carb legal? Couldnā€™t I just flash the car back to its stock tune for inspections?

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Well whatever you decide, I would do it fast, because the state of California has already forced some sellers to stop shipping certain mods. I hear my glorious state is next on the chopping block šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Everyone will likely prefer the unit that they know and own.... which is why I love my Hondata. Even the base +3 tune with rev hang disabled and increased throttle sensitivity makes the car an absolute joy to drive. The increased power is more than enough for daily driving. And then there is the +9 tune which is nuts! šŸ˜† Pushing the Econ button drops the boost closer to factory levels but still keeps the throttle sensitivity and rev hang disabled. Finally, turning on the main cruise control switch takes everything back to stock, so basically you have 3 different driving modes depending on your cruise and econ settings. It's pretty nice!

Right now I'm just on the +3, but I'm thinking of running the +9 as the primary tune, a +3 when econ is enabled, and stock when main cruise is enabled. I think that's the ideal set up. You never know when you're gonna need that +9. haha

Justin0698

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 civic touring sport Hatchback manual,
Everyone will likely prefer the unit that they know and own.... which is why I love my Hondata. Even the base +3 tune with rev hang disabled and increased throttle sensitivity makes the car an absolute joy to drive. The increased power is more than enough for daily driving. And then there is the +9 tune which is nuts! šŸ˜† Pushing the Econ button drops the boost closer to factory levels but still keeps the throttle sensitivity and rev hang disabled. Finally, turning on the main cruise control switch takes everything back to stock, so basically you have 3 different driving modes depending on your cruise and econ settings. It's pretty nice!

Right now I'm just on the +3, but I'm thinking of running the +9 as the primary tune, a +3 when econ is enabled, and stock when main cruise is enabled. I think that's the ideal set up. You never know when you're gonna need that +9. haha
Hey. Awesome review. A ?or 2. Iā€™m assuming the +3 & 9 are in reference to increased boost ? And Iā€™m leaning towards Hondata as well. How do you get it set up so that it changes characteristics depending on eco being on or off. Or cruise ?

thanks in advance

OP
OP
CivicDuty22

CivicDuty22

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 si

Iā€™m thinking of ktuner for the screen, is that the only difference? The ktuner has programable modes for the different boosts like the hondata does from what I know

axion_industries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit Gk5 L15B7 swap, 2012 Civic Si
FeatureFinalBETAEnd UserDealer TuningReflash
Real-Time LoggingXXX
Ignition/Fuel TuningXX
Flex Fuel TuningXX
On The Fly Adjustable Launch LimiterXX
On The Fly Map SwitchingXX
Advanced VSA Traction ControlXX
Throttle Control Quick AdjustmentXX
Dual Boost Targets With Sport ButtonXX
Turbo Responsiveness Quick AdjustmentXX
Closed Loop ControlXX
Disable SensorsXX
Fuel Cut ParametersXX
Fuel Correction ParametersXX
Ignition Correction ParametersXX
Idle Control ParametersXX

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
Thatā€™s just a feature set, not a comparison. Every time I am at the Tuner, all the high horsepower modern Hondas they have their are running Hondata, even Honda and Spoon use Hondata.

From what I see if I do basic mods, K-Tuner appears not canned tune friendly, but for high horsepower custom applications, Hondata seems to be used more.

axion_industries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s just a feature set, not a comparison. Every time I am at the Tuner, all the high horsepower modern Hondas they have their are running Hondata, even Honda and Spoon use Hondata.

From what I see if I do basic mods, K-Tuner appears not canned tune friendly, but for high horsepower custom applications, Hondata seems to be used more.
I would say we sell on all modern hondas about 50 ktuners to 1 hondata , if you look even at the top 10 fastest Accords they are run Ktuner, might be one guy with Hondata. If you even talk to Derek Robinson at IMW who is one of the best in the business, he will take Ktuner over Hondata anyday

axion_industries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Derek explaining differences on the 10th gen, take it for what it is.

1) Hondata relies heavily on the factory torque limit logic. This causes throttle and boost pressure oscillations.

2) Hondata doesn't allow the tuner to edit the main ignition table load index. What does this mean? Once you move enough air to reach the final load column (what they refer to as "240 AIRC"), the ECU retains the same ignition value regardless if you continue to move more air under differing conditions (like raising boost pressure, colder weather, etc). Riding the last column leaves no room for the ECU to interpret load and apply ignition properly. Does it work? Sure. Is it right? **** no. It's ghetto.

3) Hondata retains the factory 18,000kpa fuel pressure targets. In KTuner, the default fuel pressure target is raised to 21,000kpa. What does this mean? It means the effective size of the injectors are larger with KTuner. Hondata likes to talk about "flow potential of the HPFP is much greater at lower pressure", which is partly true... Neglecting the fact that raising the pressure makes the volume of fuel for any given injector duration greater. A direct injected engine only has a finite window of time to complete the firing of fuel into the cylinder during a combustion cycle. As engine speed rises, this span of time shortens. Once you exceed this usable window of time, you experience misfire. To combat the lack of available injection window, Hondata (and a certain tuner who works with them) really LOVE to run leaner lambda targets in order to avoid running out of available injection window. Now, imagine having the ability to inject MORE fuel within that same finite window? That's what's achieved with KTuner, by default.

4) For PRL "big turbo" kit users, Hondata has left you out to dry. For users that bought in before the electronic wastegate support was standard, Hondata offers ZERO means to disable wastegate/boost control related DTC's. What does that means? You have to live with a christmas tree of lights on your dashboard. For users with the EWG kit, Hondata offers no extra wastegate control changes to get the best response from your Garrett turbo.
Sponsored