• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Late Development Speculation

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
https://carbuzz.com/news/honda-and-acura-sales-take-a-serious-dive

Honda recently released its sales figures for April, and it's pretty clear that the Japanese brand has been hit hard by ongoing supply constraints. In general, the automotive industry is feeling the pain of the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage, which stretches far beyond the ability to produce cars.

Seems like the release of Q4/Q1 of next year is more likely based off of this article.

This is kinda crazy, if the deliverers are late does that mean will they continue to pump out the 2023 model year until they meet a quota or will dealerships still be receiving 2023 models well into 2024? From what I've read people say that Honda released 50k CTRs for the last gen which was 2017-2021. That comes about to 12,500 cars a year. Is it bad to assume that this isn't likely? So would they extend the generation range or just crank out a shit ton in the later model years? I don't really know how car manufacturing
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Production capacity and parts availability (chips, etc) will dictate everything for the next 9-12 months. Model year changeover usually occurs in the 3rd or 4th Quarter (July - Dec). Remember we're "lusting" about a '23 whose typical dealer arrival can be from July '22 thru Late Sept '23. As current Civic production capacity is about 50% of normal, I'd be surprised if total '23 CTR worldwide production at the new hatchback facility in Indiana exceeds half normal.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Production capacity and parts availability (chips, etc) will dictate everything for the next 9-12 months. Model year changeover usually occurs in the 3rd or 4th Quarter (July - Dec). Remember we're "lusting" about a '23 whose typical dealer arrival can be from July '22 thru Late Sept '23. As current Civic production capacity is about 50% of normal, I'd be surprised if total '23 CTR worldwide production at the new hatchback facility in Indiana exceeds half normal.
I actually dont see any issues if the production level is the same in the past. Id agree if it was the standard hundreds of thousands of civics but we are talking maybe 4k to the states? They can do that a lot quicker.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Honda will likely scale all Civic Hatchback production, not just the CTR, to their worldwide production schedule not just our "needs" - it's a "World Car" in its various models and configurations. Oh, and the CTR shares the production line with all Hatchbacks, there is no unique CTR line.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Honda will likely scale all Civic Hatchback production, not just the CTR, to their worldwide production schedule not just our "needs" - it's a "World Car" in its various models and configurations. Oh, and the CTR shares the production line with all Hatchbacks, there is no unique CTR line.
Right, hoping the lower volume will be more easily accommodated at the Indiana facility.

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
Did Honda ever really push the record into your face? I never saw a Honda marketing flier touring Nurburgring status. I did see a bunch of media pushing it and the community latching onto it. But depending upon which record you're concerned about, the FWD one is gone and completely owned by the Lynk & Co 03. FWD Production is possible, but realize the Megane Trophy R costs $75k and is more race car than street car so Honda is going to have to do it on basically a half budget and a different base goal. Compact production car? Think that went to the Audi RS3 which again is a $80k vehicle. Again, if it happens as part of your development, it's great, go ahead and market it. But if people out spend you and put out more race car than street car... you're simply going to lose and you're wasting time and money as it's not a goal you're willing to compromise the streetability of the car for. They go out to Nurburgring for testing on a bumpy or closer to real world roads at speed. You can't publicly test how any car will be at 100mph going over a few bumps, off camber on a eroded surface anywhere else in the world. Most race tracks are quite smooth, Nurburgring is different. Don't equate testing at Nurburgring only as prepping for lap record attempts. Simply isn't the case, or is that what you think the next Volvo V60 or the Nissan Juke, Range Rovers, Mini Countryman, any of the BMW entry level SUV and a litany of other brands/cars are doing on site? All prepping for a manufacturer supported hero lap? Again, I think this is more fans want the lap a lot more than Honda does.
Guess they wanted it after all, haha

Kind of funny, this is exactly what I predicted speculated would happen originally:

"The new Type-R however, MUST reclaim the record. Which is why they were out there again last Fall. But, I feel like the NĂĽrburgring didn't go as planned.".....

"Next thing you know, they are easily setting the track record at Suzuka, knocking the LE off it's podium. Next stop, NĂĽrburgring.
To pull this off they would have had to add horsepower, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see numbers between 330 to 350 whenever they get around to actually launching this thing

Last edited:
OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Guess they wanted it after all, haha

Kind of funny, this is exactly what I predicted speculated would happen originally:

To pull this off they would have had to add horsepower, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see numbers between 330 to 350 whenever they get around to actually launching this thing
That would be quite insane actually - in a good way. I honestly can’t imagine 340 horses in that. They would definitely have to adjust the torque curve to be less flat if they jacked that up too.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
I'll be shocked if they increased power to 330-350hp. Seeing as the Si went from 205 to 200, I expect they'll do the same with the Type R and just play with the torque curve. Maybe see a small bump from 306 to 310hp due to "improved exhaust flow" or something but I won't hold my breath.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I'll be shocked if they increased power to 330-350hp. Seeing as the Si went from 205 to 200, I expect they'll do the same with the Type R and just play with the torque curve. Maybe see a small bump from 306 to 310hp due to "improved exhaust flow" or something but I won't hold my breath.
Any speculation regarding the weight? The Honda Civic Si weight relatively stayed the same but it also lost features (Im assuming the 2950lb number is referring to the US model) so idk if that had any role in it.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
Any speculation regarding the weight? The Honda Civic Si weight relatively stayed the same but it also lost features (Im assuming the 2950lb number is referring to the US model) so idk if that had any role in it.
Canadian spec Si didn't lose as many features and weight from 2020 Si sedan was 1341kg (2956lbs) vs 2022 Si sedan 1360kg (2998lbs). Keep in mind the 2022 is longer and wider than the previous model for both sedan and hatchback (not by a huge margin but every bit counts I suppose).

The Canadian Si is also based on the touring model. Only feature I can remember off the top of my head that the Canadian spec lost was adaptive dampers.

My guess is we'll see a 20-30lbs increase in weight for the Type R.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
you don't always need more power to be faster around a track. 992 GT3 has the same engine as the 991.1 but significantly faster due the front suspension, chassis and aero updates.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
My “Type R” face…..

11th Gen Honda Civic Late Development Speculation 1652920460050
Sponsored