• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Limp Mode on first track day

roadsniper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 16 GT4, 18 911T, 05 S2K, 23 Tundra
Did my first track day at Chuckwalla last week and had some issues. The "brake system" light came on on lap 2 of the first session and would come on for each session. I never lost braking power and I do have RBF660 fluid in there.

3rd session, the car went into limp mode. I got a check engine light, emission system problem warning, and rev match system warning. I figured my day was done and packed up. After an hour of the car cooling off all the lights and warnings disappeared. It was a cool day low 70s.

Is this normal for this car? Any suggestions how to avoid this on my next track day?

Only mods I have are swift springs, wheels, tires, and Remark exhaust. Other than that the car is really fun to track and very capable.
11th Gen Honda Civic Limp Mode on first track day CTR chuck.JPG
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I don't think it's normal for this car since it's suited for track environment.

Were there any additional CTRs on track with you that day?

Sorry to hear this happened. I'm sure our fellow track junkies will respond here shortly...

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Did my first track day at Chuckwalla last week and had some issues. The "brake system" light came on on lap 2 of the first session and would come on for each session. I never lost braking power and I do have RBF660 fluid in there.

3rd session, the car went into limp mode. I got a check engine light, emission system problem warning, and rev match system warning. I figured my day was done and packed up. After an hour of the car cooling off all the lights and warnings disappeared. It was a cool day low 70s.

Is this normal for this car? Any suggestions how to avoid this on my next track day?

Only mods I have are swift springs, wheels, tires, and Remark exhaust. Other than that the car is really fun to track and very capable.
CTR chuck.JPG
It’s normal, once the brake temps get high the car gives a warning message for the brakes but if you have the good fluid no fade.

Now as for the limp mode I suggest pulling codes. But these cars require a radiator and an oil cooler at a minimum.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm guessing you didn't scan the code to see what the fault was, but my guess is that you were likely too low on fuel and picked up an air pocket in the line. The car will throw a code for fuel rail system pressure when this happens, and all the associated lights that you mentioned will come on. The tanks are on these cars are extremely small. I have to fill up after each session.

OP
OP

roadsniper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 16 GT4, 18 911T, 05 S2K, 23 Tundra
I don't have a way to scan codes just yet but the low fuel sounds about right. This car will go through a tank really quickly on track and when all the warning lights came on, I was showing only 2 bars of fuel on the gauge. Thanks for the insight, I'll make sure to keep an eye on fuel levels for the next day.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I don't have a way to scan codes just yet but the low fuel sounds about right. This car will go through a tank really quickly on track and when all the warning lights came on, I was showing only 2 bars of fuel on the gauge. Thanks for the insight, I'll make sure to keep an eye on fuel levels for the next day.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this was your problem in this specific case.

You cannot rely on the fuel gauge at all on the track. The fuel level is a calculation based off of typical range achieved between fill-ups. When you are on the track you are consuming fuel at an enormous rate. In one 20 minute session I burn roughly 6 gallons of fuel, and my fuel gauge will show that it has slightly more than 3/4 of a tank. You were basically outta gas!

Oh, and yes, the brake fluid warning thing is normal too, but that doesn't make it any less annoying!

gregjayj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 STi
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this was your problem in this specific case.

You cannot rely on the fuel gauge at all on the track. The fuel level is a calculation based off of typical range achieved between fill-ups. When you are on the track you are consuming fuel at an enormous rate. In one 20 minute session I burn roughly 6 gallons of fuel, and my fuel gauge will show that it has slightly more than 3/4 of a tank. You were basically outta gas!

Oh, and yes, the brake fluid warning thing is normal too, but that doesn't make it any less annoying!
It's insane to me that the fuel level is calculated value???? How does that even work? This is way worse than calculated oil temperature value and actually makes me scared now cuz I will never know how much fuel I ACTUALLY have after hard drive / laps lol...

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It's insane to me that the fuel level is calculated value???? How does that even work? This is way worse than calculated oil temperature value and actually makes me scared now cuz I will never know how much fuel I ACTUALLY have after hard drive / laps lol...
Yep. I fill the tank after every single heat. Learned my lesson when I ran out of fuel at 130mph on the front straight.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
It’s normal, once the brake temps get high the car gives a warning message for the brakes but if you have the good fluid no fade.
This warning uses a calculated brake temp. It's certainly wrong once you change pads and/or fluid.

You cannot rely on the fuel gauge at all on the track. The fuel level is a calculation based off of typical range achieved between fill-ups
Not really. There is a fuel level meter inside the tank. Since it's too sensitive to lateral acceleration, it's heavily filtered out while cornering. Once you stop and give it a minute or two, the fuel level will be correct.

Fuel starvation will occur if below half tank in a right hander, especially after a long WOT section. The ECU throws a code for underboost or low fuel pressure.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This warning uses a calculated brake temp. It's certainly wrong once you change pads and/or fluid.

Not really. There is a fuel level meter inside the tank. Since it's too sensitive to lateral acceleration, it's heavily filtered out while cornering. Once you stop and give it a minute or two, the fuel level will be correct.

Fuel starvation will occur if below half tank in a right hander, especially after a long WOT section. The ECU throws a code for underboost or low fuel pressure.
@keller is right! I stand corrected!

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
This is great gouge for future track days. I’ll be sure to fill up after every session!

turbo8765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I get fuel starvation (in a fast right hand turn) reliably at 4 bars. The difference between fuel starve and full is a pathetic 8.4 gallons.

"But these cars require a radiator and an oil cooler at a minimum."

I have neither and, thus far, have had zero issues. I have a shit ton of track experience.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I get fuel starvation (in a fast right hand turn) reliably at 4 bars. The difference between fuel starve and full is a pathetic 8.4 gallons.

"But these cars require a radiator and an oil cooler at a minimum."

I have neither and, thus far, have had zero issues. I have a shit ton of track experience.
I have raced mine with neither also and still my conclusion is that is absolutely needed. They overheat at the track. @PointByPatrol has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Disclaimer: I have a DE5 but I've had mine out for multiple 15-20 minute sessions on an 80 degree day, no overheating issues at all here either. I know overheating issues are happening in these cars but I'm not sure the "require" and "at a minimum" qualifiers are really warranted.... but I am curious what makes you so adamant they're absolutely necessary.

Any additional context here? Did it happen each and every session? What other factors like track conditions, ambient temp etc. could have played a role?

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have raced mine with neither also and still my conclusion is that is absolutely needed. They overheat at the track. @PointByPatrol has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Track experience is pretty subjective. He could have quite a bit, but we don't know how hard he's pushing the car.
Sponsored