• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

MagSafe Case & Wireless Charger?

pigfacedalarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Has anyone else had issues with a MagSafe case on an iPhone and the wireless charging pad on the FL5? Such as- a burning smell? I know the owners manual and sticker on the pad says no metal objects between phone and pad, and obviously the MagSafe case has metal in it (the magnet). So I’m not sure if it’s okay to use or I need to raw dog my phone to charge it.
This was a new case made by Caudabe, so it’s not a cheapo eBay or Amazon case. Just not sure if MagSafe cases are compatible with the wireless charging or not.
Feedback appreciated!
Sponsored

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
not sure how your magsafe case works, but i have a case that has the magnet on the top... while the phone bottom is what rests on the charger. if you have the option of placing the metal parts away from the charger, then that should help. you can trying inverting the phone and see if it will still charge... whatever you can do to prevent having a metal object between the charger and the phone. it's when the metal gets between the phone and charger that typically creates the problem.

do you have a wireless charger at home? usually it's the same issue there. if you are finding a difference, you can experiment at home to see why it might be.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Phone case manufacturers will usually advertise if their cases are wireless charger compatible. If your case doesn’t advertise anything like that on the packaging nor their website, I would definitely assume it isn’t compatible with wireless charging and stop (trying) to use it with the car’s wireless charger. Could be an expensive thing to fix, phone or charger, if they break.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Ah…duh. My bad. For some reason I had it in my head that Magsafe was a brand of case, not the brand name of the charging + magnet technology. Sorry about that.

Electronics can go through a “burn-in” process during the first few uses (when being plugged in or charged or whatever). This may explain the smell, but I definitely don’t blame you for being cautious. I would probably continue to try to use the case on the charger and closely monitor the temperature.

It wouldn’t hurt to contact your Honda dealer about this. They may have a better answer. I’m sure your situation is not entirely new or unique.

Last edited:

ne_typer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BB FL5
My iPhone 14 with leather MagSafe case does not work with the wireless charger, must be the design of the case.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
My iPhone 13 Pro charges with the Apple MagSafe leather case. It gets warm and doesn't charge quickly but it does work.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
I have a 13Pro Max with the apple silicone case with magsafe and have not noticed any issues. It does get warm after 20min but no smells or anything weird.
Sponsored