• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
FYI these are the ones fitted to my LE. They're the R01 variant with a treadwear rating of 180.

I suspect the H0 Honda version of the Cup 2 Connect will have different compound to the normal Cup 2 Connect but probably the same 240 treadwear rating.

20210704_081215.jpg

20210704_081452.jpg
In the interview the Michelin guy said that for the 265 specific tire size, this was the first FF car they were providing OEM tires for, so they modified the carcass to be more optimized for turning and drive forces simultaneously. I don't remember if he mentioned compounds.
Sponsored

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
FYI these are the ones fitted to my LE. They're the R01 variant with a treadwear rating of 180.

I suspect the H0 Honda version of the Cup 2 Connect will have different compound to the normal Cup 2 Connect but probably the same 240 treadwear rating.

20210704_081215.jpg

20210704_081452.jpg
With your tires being produced during late December 2020 I am guessing that your 2021 LE was assembled in Swindon sometime in the early Spring of 2021 and wondering what your chassis number is?

As you can see my Cup 2 tires were produced in September 2020 with my vehicle being built in November, 2020 therefore a relatively early build.

Looking to purchase a very late 2021 LE build and believe that the last production timeline for the U.S. LE vehicles was May, 2021.

Of course Chassis # "USA-001" was built in August 2020 therefore suggest that suggest that the 600 examples for the U.S. were produced over a 10 month period at Swindon.

If you have production information for the European/Japanese market that would be great!

11th Gen Honda Civic Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires Chassis #126

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
The OEM tires are not Cup 2. They're Pilot Sport 4s. I thought I read somewhere the Cup 2 was an option? The Cup 2 isn't on the Type R build page either.

Also it's interesting Honda brought full sets of Cup 2 to the press events. Maybe @savagegeese can provide some insight into this. I'm guessing the press cars came with 4s and the Cup 2 was mounted for the Sonoma track event. Why not run the 4s on track? That's more of a true showroom stock car.

1669265957265.png
The Cup 2's are supposed to be an option, but I didn't see it on the site (it might be available at the dealer). I'm chalking it up as not being readily available yet. I would not have optioned them anyway as I'm getting something else in that class of tire for the track. I'd still consider the FL5 on Cup 2's as a showroom stock car since it's an option you can check, much like the Performance Package option for the Mustang. If it was something offered thru HPD after-the-fact (like the Ford Performance supercharger for the Mustang), then it would be a modification rather than an option.

Personally, I'm glad they tested the PS4S on the street and the Cup 2's on the track as that's the configuration I would use it: PS4's to get to the track and swap over to stickier wheels/tires at the event. You get to see the car's manners for both situations.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Just curious if anybody knew how much these were. I couldn't find them on tire rack. The PS4S tires are about $1.6k Wondering how much the SC2s will be.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Just curious if anybody knew how much these were. I couldn't find them on tire rack. The PS4S tires are about $1.6k Wondering how much the SC2s will be.
You may not be able to find them on Tire Rack if you are searching by vehicle because Sport Cup 2 tires are not available in the OEM size of 265/30-19. The Sport Cup 2 Connect is available in the OEM size.

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Weird.... I wasn't aware that cup 2's weren't typically what came on these. Got my fl5 in November right off the truck and they came with pilot sport cup 2 tires. Searching for replacements online and was confused when it said stock tires were pilot sport 4s

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
Weird.... I wasn't aware that cup 2's weren't typically what came on these. Got my fl5 in November right off the truck and they came with pilot sport cup 2 tires. Searching for replacements online and was confused when it said stock tires were pilot sport 4s
To confirm, you’re stating that your FL5 came equipped with Sport Cup 2, and not Pilot Sport 4S tires? If so, was that specified as an additional line item on your window sticker?

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I don't remember seeing anything about tires on the window sticker... Not even sure I still have it considering I pretty much got the car right off the delivery truck. I'll check but yea, mine definitely has sport cup 2 tires on it and not pilot sport 4s. I purchased new wheels and when I went to search for my tire size online was confused to see every search saying they were sport 4s.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
I don't remember seeing anything about tires on the window sticker... Not even sure I still have it considering I pretty much got the car right off the delivery truck. I'll check but yea, mine definitely has sport cup 2 tires on it and not pilot sport 4s. I purchased new wheels and when I went to search for my tire size online was confused to see every search saying they were sport 4s.
Thanks for replying. I feel cheated now, ha. Until now, I hadn’t heard of any of our FL5s being factory-equipped with SC2s, but I sure wish mine came with them, as I love them on my LE FK8.

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
Can you take a photo of the Cup2 originally equipped? I want to take a close look on the tire wall to check if there is a specific mark on that tire, or if it can be just an aftermarket Cup2 that the tire shops usually sell. The PS4s have the latest side wall too.

I'm 100% sure the OE tire should be bespoke PS4s DT1 in all markets, I can confirm US/CA/China/JP/Australia/SA/Southeast Asia market is equipped with bespoke PS4s according to each market's brochure or Press Release as shown below. For Europe markets like UK/DE/FR, the OE tire is bespoke PS4s and Falken ZIEX ZE914 According to the EU Tyre label; however, I never saw an EU FL5 equip that Falken tire tho, all PS4s.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...d0f70179fdc-2023-honda-civic-type-r-press-kit
11th Gen Honda Civic Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires 1686770747871

11th Gen Honda Civic Michelin Sport Cup 2 Tires FlvB-z-aAAEYvNI

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ender_ong

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ridgeline RTLE white/black, 24 DE5 white/black
Maybe someone else already mentioned it, but I saw that the Honda H0 Sport Cup 2 is available on TireRack. Pretty cool.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+2+Connect+(240)&partnum=63YR9PSC2C2XLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
👍 yep, bought these same tires online from tire rack for the DE5 last month for track duty, shipped fast and excellent performance, much more than my current skill and comfort level can handle

mohammadhabbal

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R
Can you take a photo of the Cup2 originally equipped? I want to take a close look on the tire wall to check if there is a specific mark on that tire, or if it can be just an aftermarket Cup2 that the tire shops usually sell. The PS4s have the latest side wall too.

I'm 100% sure the OE tire should be bespoke PS4s DT1 in all markets, I can confirm US/CA/China/JP/Australia/SA/Southeast Asia market is equipped with bespoke PS4s according to each market's brochure or Press Release as shown below. For Europe markets like UK/DE/FR, the OE tire is bespoke PS4s and Falken ZIEX ZE914 According to the EU Tyre label; however, I never saw an EU FL5 equip that Falken tire tho, all PS4s.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...d0f70179fdc-2023-honda-civic-type-r-press-kit
1686770747871.png

FlvB-z-aAAEYvNI.jpg
What does this DT1 mean in effect?

I hit a bad pothole last week and front left tyre sadly split along sidewall (rim is fine). Changed to a full size spare provided by a friend. (PLEASE get a space saver for your car, guys. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for 6hrs). Anyway, on my way back I get a nail on the rear left tyre lol (what are the odds!!) and had to drive on that flat it few km on highway so that tyre is not safe to be reused IMO as i see the ring of death. Hoping rim is also ok, it looks ok and spun ok on a wheel balancer at a shop i went to.

I've ordered 2 new PS4S in the same oem wheel size and should arrive next week. I know they won't be the same DT1 OEM spec.

Could you shed light on the differences between the OEM DT1 spec vs off the shelf PS4S?
I've heard DT1 (different tread) has less tread width, or have better rim protection, or worse compound for grip to save cost, or better carcass to help tyre steer and accelerate simultaneously but these are all whispers and nothing confirmed officially or by tests.

Thanks!

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Oof... I just realized that someone asked me to show a picture of the cup2's lol. I don't even have those wheels on anymore 😅. But fear not, they were in fact added by the dealer.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does this DT1 mean in effect?

I hit a bad pothole last week and front left tyre sadly split along sidewall (rim is fine). Changed to a full size spare provided by a friend. (PLEASE get a space saver for your car, guys. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for 6hrs). Anyway, on my way back I get a nail on the rear left tyre lol (what are the odds!!) and had to drive on that flat it few km on highway so that tyre is not safe to be reused IMO as i see the ring of death. Hoping rim is also ok, it looks ok and spun ok on a wheel balancer at a shop i went to.

I've ordered 2 new PS4S in the same oem wheel size and should arrive next week. I know they won't be the same DT1 OEM spec.

Could you shed light on the differences between the OEM DT1 spec vs off the shelf PS4S?
I've heard DT1 (different tread) has less tread width, or have better rim protection, or worse compound for grip to save cost, or better carcass to help tyre steer and accelerate simultaneously but these are all whispers and nothing confirmed officially or by tests.

Thanks!
I had the standard PS4S on my FK8 and I was happy at how supple and quiet the ride was. However the turn-in response was slower and more rubbery than the Continental SportContact 6.

The FL5 OEM PS4S in comparison rides rougher than the ones on my FK8 but they're also sharper turning. You would think with a higher sidewall the FL5 tires should be slightly softer but they aren't. I think the difference is due to the DT1 but of course the car itself has some influence.
Sponsored