• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

My “rant” on the current affairs pertaining to stores, and the market.

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
I was reading this other thread and decided to reply, but I’ll do that here…..also bc I feel like talking about some things. Specifically to pull back the curtain a bit regarding dealerships. Like many, I’ve been in that life awhile. And so those who know what I’m saying will quietly be like “…..yeah….facts…” and then have to go that same shit tomorrow at the dealership. So here’s the posts I was reading below, and then my reply to them.

PS: some of this nonsense you’ll either agree or disagre, either way, it’s all chill. I’m just wondering what the hell is gonna come of all this… so here goes…..

I swapped out my wipers due to the factory ones lifting in cold weather, this maintenance setting is a must to prevent damage. I never would have known about it if I had not read about it in a post, the dealer really needs to show you this when you pick up your car.

Having done that job in the past, car salesman are roughly 80%-90% LAZY about learning everything they could about the next model year! Majority are NOT enthusiasts, nor do they know what a “forum” is. A lot of the old ways have already died in the car sales business. A lot of the guys 35 and up will tell you, the way to present a car, and then hopefully a delivery demonstration, all that shit is flying fast out the window.

I‘d bet about half the sales managers don’t give a shit anymore about that stuff. They’re just wondering when this car market debacle is gonna end. So some of them are pumping deals out of fear. Our store would be roughly 400-450 new, and 100 used. On-hand unit AVERAGE on any given month.

Now…..19 new cars, 33 used.
NINETEEN…..with 12 sales reps on deck. How can they afford to show up to the desk anymore!”??!!

Everyone will admit (at least internally) from top to bottom, that the whole thing is a shit show! And maybe some of this shit I shouldn’t be posting, maybe some of this shit needs to be called out. There’s shit practices going on, and having been on both sides, I see why the stores really have no choice in “some” cases. Is there insane price-adjustments? Probably 90% of the markups on each deal make money for the store right now. And most times folks….it’s ALOTTTTT more than you realize. And it’s all 100% shitty. No other way to put it…and a lot of these younger people coming into that sales world, some fresh outta HS, they are NOT being trained correctly by Mgmt. Every store in the US has a manager that often says to themselves “damn I gotta get these guys upstairs for training but I got all this other shit to do.” Every, single, day!

On the flip side…Some stores are scrambling to make each deal even marginally profitable and not even trying to screw the customer. BC believe it or not, there are a few good ones still out there folks. But they are very few and FAR between, and are very well hidden from the madness we’re all experiencing. It’s gonna be turbulent for awhile I’m afraid. You just gotta sign that final contract ONLY when you feel comfortable with the payment, the rate, OTD price, etc. whatever your parameters. Remember one thing you got as the customer that they can’t take, is your pen and your two feet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You like the deal?…use the pen. You don’t?… use your two feet and walk out! ??? Happy hunting…
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
A couple weeks after you buy your car Honda sends you a long survey asking if your sales person did this or your sales person did that, and did your salesperson explain this and did they spend time showing you that. When you leave your dealership your sales person reminds you about the survey that will be coming, and suggests that anything less than a 100 percent positive review is a failure for that sales person. So they want you to give them full marks on every aspect of the sale and delivery. Delivery is a big part of that survey btw.

So the sales person is not as busy as they once were, that is obvious and totally understandable. In theory they should have more time to spend on your sale. They clearly know about the survey that will be sent by Honda and they know what is on that survey, they can probably recite it in their sleep. But they want you to give them a glowing report even if they didn't do half the stuff expected of them. I also find today's sales people know less about the vehicles they are selling compared to years past. I'm one of the few who actually has some appreciation of dealerships and how they may be struggling today, and that includes the sales people who work there as it must be extremely tough to make a living right now. I was happy to pay MSRP and some dealer add-on stuff to get my car, which is not something I would have said 2 years ago. One week after my purchase I gave my sales person a gift card as a token of thanks. I really like my sales person , and I still respect the dealership where I bought my car. But asking the sales people to spend an extra five minutes explaining important features of the car isn't asking too much, particularly when the delivery process wasn't more than ten minutes in total, the shortest time I've ever had picking up a car. I get a laugh when I watch Honda Pro Jason sales videos, there is no way any sales person out there is going to do what HPJ attempts to show in his training videos. If there is any training going on at dealerships it is on how to get customers to sign the deal, how to play with the numbers, and how to get customers to sit down in a chair, product knowledge has taken a back seat.

So Honda releases new designs all the time, should your sales person show you those things before you drive off, hell yeah that is their job. I'm talking about things that involve safety, and things that may lead to damage of the vehicle. I don't care about the stereo settings or where the ambiance lighting is, but maybe 4-5 important details would be helpful, it's not too much to ask. Just throwing a 750 page manual at a customer isn't enough. That is what they want you to tell Honda Corporate when the survey arrives and that is what the dealership wants to hear, but it just doesn't seem to happen. Just spend five minutes of time with the customer and things will end up much better for everyone. They can have their perfect survey, just do some work for it. It's not asking too much. That's my rant on the rant.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Civic DX, 16 EXT Civic Coupe
Everything in this country is shit right now.
Was gonna post a link about how the government's $30 million program to give out free crack pipes. It won't let me post the link though.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
There's good and there's bad, but overall the situation is... tough.

Case in point, a Supra (6cyl) at a local dealer has a $15k markup. $81k MSRP is what they're saying online ?‍♂

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
I was reading this other thread and decided to reply, but I’ll do that here…..also bc I feel like talking about some things. Specifically to pull back the curtain a bit regarding dealerships. Like many, I’ve been in that life awhile. And so those who know what I’m saying will quietly be like “…..yeah….facts…” and then have to go that same shit tomorrow at the dealership. So here’s the posts I was reading below, and then my reply to them.

PS: some of this nonsense you’ll either agree or disagre, either way, it’s all chill. I’m just wondering what the hell is gonna come of all this… so here goes…..

Having done that job in the past, car salesman are roughly 80%-90% LAZY about learning everything they could about the next model year! Majority are NOT enthusiasts, nor do they know what a “forum” is. A lot of the old ways have already died in the car sales business. A lot of the guys 35 and up will tell you, the way to present a car, and then hopefully a delivery demonstration, all that shit is flying fast out the window.

I‘d bet about half the sales managers don’t give a shit anymore about that stuff. They’re just wondering when this car market debacle is gonna end. So some of them are pumping deals out of fear. Our store would be roughly 400-450 new, and 100 used. On-hand unit AVERAGE on any given month.

Now…..19 new cars, 33 used.
NINETEEN…..with 12 sales reps on deck. How can they afford to show up to the desk anymore!”??!!

Everyone will admit (at least internally) from top to bottom, that the whole thing is a shit show! And maybe some of this shit I shouldn’t be posting, maybe some of this shit needs to be called out. There’s shit practices going on, and having been on both sides, I see why the stores really have no choice in “some” cases. Is there insane price-adjustments? Probably 90% of the markups on each deal make money for the store right now. And most times folks….it’s ALOTTTTT more than you realize. And it’s all 100% shitty. No other way to put it…and a lot of these younger people coming into that sales world, some fresh outta HS, they are NOT being trained correctly by Mgmt. Every store in the US has a manager that often says to themselves “damn I gotta get these guys upstairs for training but I got all this other shit to do.” Every, single, day!

On the flip side…Some stores are scrambling to make each deal even marginally profitable and not even trying to screw the customer. BC believe it or not, there are a few good ones still out there folks. But they are very few and FAR between, and are very well hidden from the madness we’re all experiencing. It’s gonna be turbulent for awhile I’m afraid. You just gotta sign that final contract ONLY when you feel comfortable with the payment, the rate, OTD price, etc. whatever your parameters. Remember one thing you got as the customer that they can’t take, is your pen and your two feet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You like the deal?…use the pen. You don’t?… use your two feet and walk out! ??? Happy hunting…
Thanks for the inside info and I do feel bad for both dealerships and folks who are looking to buy a car. A free market society unfortunately can create the situation we are seeing now in the auto industry. I understand SOME markups on automobiles as dealerships need to make money by moving limited volume and there isn't enough supply right now to satisfy demand. However, some of the practices I've seen posted here and other places are down right shady. BUT the consumer isn't forced to buy a specific car for a specific price. I was VERY fortunate to find my Civic Si at a local dealership close to me for MSRP with no add-ons or strings attached. I would happily recommend the dealer I bought my car from as well as the sales rep who helped me through the purchase process.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I know my Subaru sales guy has a couple dozen sales finalized , but those cars will not be delivered to customers until June or July 2022. He gets paid when cars get delivered. I have no idea how anyone can survive like that, so things are messed up bad. Subaru is suffering worse than Honda in terms of vehicle production and shortages, Honda isn't nearly as bad as others despite them being in a tough spot too.

RMR

First Name
Chugpudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 Civic Hatchback Sport
My local Honda dealer has zero cars in their outside new car lot. They have about 6 vehicles in the showroom and 2 out front on display. Everything is "Inbound". I feel that Honda is having problems lately also.

nowaytoescape

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Thanks for the inside info and I do feel bad for both dealerships and folks who are looking to buy a car. A free market society unfortunately can create the situation we are seeing now in the auto industry. I understand SOME markups on automobiles as dealerships need to make money by moving limited volume and there isn't enough supply right now to satisfy demand. However, some of the practices I've seen posted here and other places are down right shady. BUT the consumer isn't forced to buy a specific car for a specific price. I was VERY fortunate to find my Civic Si at a local dealership close to me for MSRP with no add-ons or strings attached. I would happily recommend the dealer I bought my car from as well as the sales rep who helped me through the purchase process.
Please cause every dealer in Georgia just about is added $5k to the price for a Si.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Please cause every dealer in Georgia just about is added $5k to the price for a Si.
West Broad Honda in Richmond Va and Mechanicsville Honda in Mechanicsville Va. Both Dealerships are owned by the same company, Page Auto Group. Mechanicsville is a relatively low volume dealer and I don't think they receive that many allotments of Si's. Maybe worth a call though if you are willing to travel.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Well Civic 4dr’s are made in Canada and there is a major trucking shit show going on up there. Inflation is everywhere not just cars.

My grocery bill went up a $100 a week, even though every product is the same in my cart.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
I know my Subaru sales guy has a couple dozen sales finalized , but those cars will not be delivered to customers until June or July 2022. He gets paid when cars get delivered. I have no idea how anyone can survive like that, so things are messed up bad. Subaru is suffering worse than Honda in terms of vehicle production and shortages, Honda isn't nearly as bad as others despite them being in a tough spot too.
Yep - '22 BRZ on order with estimated July delivery date. The upside is MSRP and $500 loyalty coupon. No games in the dealership or on the phone - ~30 minutes online from start to finish.

As for the overall condition of the country (US in my case) - well, elections have consequences.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
The sad part is we are all saying "Thank god I only had to pay MSRP!" when, before COVID, you were saying "MSRP? LMFAO!" Even worse is the fact that, because everyone is saying that, we might never see below MSRP deals again.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Yep - '22 BRZ on order with estimated July delivery date. The upside is MSRP and $500 loyalty coupon. No games in the dealership or on the phone - ~30 minutes online from start to finish.
As for the overall condition of the country (US in my case) - well, elections have consequences.
Sounds like an easy process but why not wait a couple more months and get a '23 model?
Elections didn't cause Covid-19 or the chip shortage. (PS Don't tell Congress or they'll "investigate" right after Jan 6 and Hillary.)

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Sounds like an easy process but why not wait a couple more months and get a '23 model?
Elections didn't cause Covid-19 or the chip shortage. (PS Don't tell Congress or they'll "investigate" right after Jan 6 and Hillary.)
Have already thought i might either wait for a '23 or fly to the boonies to buy a '22 in inventory. But a lot of deliveries have moved forward from estimated dates. It's also possible that strong demand for the new model may drive up prices for the '23s. Regardless, i wouldn't be driving the car until the snow is gone for good - probably April at the earliest. If i had the car now it would just be sitting in my garage under a cover like a couple of my other cars.

And we have much bigger problems in the country than the chip shortage or even Covid.

Jabberwocker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla CE/Taco/Pilot
West Broad Honda in Richmond Va and Mechanicsville Honda in Mechanicsville Va. Both Dealerships are owned by the same company, Page Auto Group. Mechanicsville is a relatively low volume dealer and I don't think they receive that many allotments of Si's. Maybe worth a call though if you are willing to travel.
I bought my Pilot from there a coupe years ago (West Broad). Place looks like a ghost town when going for servicing as in no cars in lot. But they do mark ups on cars. They had a CTR LE marked to $58k during early fall in their showroom. No idea what it sold for but it was there a while, as in a month or two.
Sponsored