• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Name five things you like about the Type R and five things you would change...

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
Here is my list ...

1. Easily the best handing car I've ever owned!
2. The low and aggressive look of the smooth flared fenders, fat tires and wing is great.
3. Best manual transmission I've even owned.
4. The steering and suspension seems to read your mind.
5. The balance of the car; drive it to church Sunday morning, race it Sunday afternoon, drive it to and from work, drive it over to help Aunt MIldred move 12 cases of tomato sauce over to the food bank. :thumbsup: It can do almost anything!

Change
1. The exhaust note doesn't match the character of the brilliant engine, also would rather have even matching pipes rather than one oddball. 2 or 4 would be better.
2. The fake engine noise and Road Runner like horn are things that won't be part of my car very long.
3. I like the matching Acura type S front and rear leather seats (or they could have at least gave us red rear seats). If not that, white pearl metalflake paint with the Acura snazzier rear end better would be cool (but with the wing).
4. For the price, a better resolution and faster (more memory) display would have been good.
5. More color options? Dark pearl blue, Maroon, Orange anybody?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
In no specific order and perhaps not exactly 5 of each lol

Like:

1. Agressive yet clean styling/Flared bodywork
2. Unique/Don't see many around
3. Overall driving experience/Feel/Power(and nice gains with BBO's + OTS tune)
4. Confidence I have driving the car and its ability to do what I want it to(handling, braking etc)
5. The fact that Honda not only made the FL5, but put so much into making it incredibly capable and special

Dislike:

1. Electronic parking brake & fake engine noise(no matter how it sounds, fake engine noise is one of the worst trends in automotive history imo, absolute cringe)
2. No AWD
3. Taillights not full LED and the ugly amber being inside headlights so that getting rid of it requires purchase of new headlights
4. Lack of certain features from other geographic regions(Alcantara steering wheel/shift boot/rear seats, card key etc)
5. Cheap looking/mismatched rear brake calipers
6. Dashboard and door card foam/vinyl is extremely easy to dent/ding/damage permanently, it's the weakest and most sensitive dash and door card foam in any of the 19 cars I've owned over the past 25 years

Last edited:

pigfacedalarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Changes:
  • More robust coolant tank that doesn’t leak
  • More robust valve cover that doesn’t leak
  • Access panel in splash guard for oil changes versus the eight fasteners to remove the splash guard
  • Homelink mirror from factory
  • Actual TPMS

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
Changes:
  • Access panel in splash guard for oil changes versus the eight fasteners to remove the splash guard
  • Actual TPMS
Good calls. I forgot about the splash guard access. I had a GR86 previously and I really miss how easy it was to access everything required for an oil change.

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Changes:
  • Actual TPMS
I haven't discovered the first three yet...

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I haven't discovered the first three yet...

Same, dont think its common. I just would have loved a better color selection. Can’t Honda offer something akin to the beautiful bmw blues, purple or otherwise - fkng boring color palat.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Remember; only enthusiasts use these forums. The numbers are likely MUCH larger, and will only increase as these cars become more common. The shame is that it was a known issue in FK8 days and the designs were not improved to mitigate these issues.

Fair point. I’ll keep an eye on it but not on my shit list as of now. Im more vested in Hondas poor color scheming 😂.

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same, dont think its common. I just would have loved a better color selection. Can’t Honda offer something akin to the beautiful bmw blues, purple or otherwise - fkng boring color palat.
I drove by Acura and stopped because this car was in the lot. Holy smokes, that pearl white was amazing in the sunlight! I might have bought that car on the color alone :love: The pic doesn't do it justice. I would have liked a dark metallic blue like the Si has ... I might have picked something like that.

11th Gen Honda Civic Name five things you like about the Type R and five things you would change... IMG_20240313_132245050_HDR

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
Pros:

1. Great handling
2. Good driver feedback for the most part. Inspires confidence when you drive
3. Very practical size and packaging
4. Looks good inside and out
5. Great shifter and seats

Cons:

1. Road and tire noise
2. Stiff suspension
3. Small fuel tank, gas mileage is not great
4. No parking sensors, no heated seats
5. Not fast off the line, AWD would be nice

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Pros:
  • Interior is elegant and roomy
  • Hill Hold Assist can be turned on/off anytime
  • Front seats are the best compared to cars of its class (GR Corolla/Elantra N/Golf R)
Cons:
  • Honda should just go with a more common Big Brake kit rotor size (355mm instead of the OE 350mm)
  • Proximity Lock/Unlock is somewhat pointless without Power Folding Mirrors
  • Backup Camera displays about 1.5 feet farther than where you actually are
  • Honda Sensing makes the car feel "nervous" under certain situations
  • Headlights feels dim (I have not come across any OEM LED Reflector headlights that are actually bright)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pros:

1. Great handling
2. Good driver feedback for the most part. Inspires confidence when you drive
3. Very practical size and packaging
4. Looks good inside and out
5. Great shifter and seats

Cons:

1. Road and tire noise
2. Stiff suspension
3. Small fuel tank, gas mileage is not great
4. No parking sensors, no heated seats
5. Not fast off the line, AWD would be nice
I totally forgot about all the road noise... and that seems to be a Honda/Acura tradition. Even my mom's Accord is pretty loud on the freeway. Small tank, that's a bummer too.

I saw a video where a guy put the Acura strut modules or components, I forget the term he used ... on the Honda and it softened the suspension to the point where it was pretty nice compared to the over stiff Honda. He said they were only like $250 but backordered now. I haven't looked into what he is talking about but it sounded like a good mod. :what:

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Change
1. The exhaust note doesn't match the character of the brilliant engine.

3. I like the matching Acura type S front and rear leather seats (or they could have at least gave us red rear seats). If not that, white pearl metalflake paint with the Acura snazzier rear end better would be cool (but with the wing).
I recommend an exhaust upgrade--I noticed an immediate difference after installing the MBRP system. The 2.0T will never sound like a V8, but the car is much more satisfying to drive when you can hear it responding to you.

The JDM Type R gets suede rear seats (black, not red), and @Clark_Kent has installed them. There's also a guy on Instagram (L1MITED, I think) selling front and rear seat covers using a "hypersuede" material in red or black. I bought one of his red rear seat covers and I've been really pleased now that the front and back match. In my opinion, the red/white Type S seats don't match particularly well

As for the paint, Platinum White Pearl is great (I had a '23 Integra A-Spec + Tech in PWP with a TON of flake), but they'll cycle it out for a different white in a few years. Championship White is iconic. Not sure what's "snazzier" about the Acura rear end.

OP
OP
Zone47

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recommend an exhaust upgrade--I noticed an immediate difference after installing the MBRP system. The 2.0T will never sound like a V8, but the car is much more satisfying to drive when you can hear it responding to you.

The JDM Type R gets suede rear seats (black, not red), and @Clark_Kent has installed them. There's also a guy on Instagram (L1MITED, I think) selling front and rear seat covers using a "hypersuede" material in red or black. I bought one of his red rear seat covers and I've been really pleased now that the front and back match. In my opinion, the red/white Type S seats don't match particularly well

As for the paint, Platinum White Pearl is great (I had a '23 Integra A-Spec + Tech in PWP with a TON of flake), but they'll cycle it out for a different white in a few years. Championship White is iconic. Not sure what's "snazzier" about the Acura rear end.
Thanks for the exhaust tips.

I like the tail lights better... it's like they are more nicely integrated into the body. It's all subjective of course.

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
I totally forgot about all the road noise... and that seems to be a Honda/Acura tradition. Even my mom's Accord is pretty loud on the freeway. Small tank, that's a bummer too.

I saw a video where a guy put the Acura strut modules or components, I forget the term he used ... on the Honda and it softened the suspension to the point where it was pretty nice compared to the over stiff Honda. He said they were only like $250 but backordered now. I haven't looked into what he is talking about but it sounded like a good mod. :what:
I have the Integra ADS module! It helps but I would still take more comfort if it was an option.
Sponsored