• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Received (after l-o-n-g wait) the Dream Automotive FL5 rear seat cover. Same excellent quality as the front covers. Seat backs fit perfectly, but the sear bottom is tricky - could have used a tip sheet, etc. as the best fitting I could manage was to partially remove the cushion and slide the edges underneath. The wrinkles will smooth out after a week or so, and while these certainly arenā€™t elegant-looking custom covers, they do what I hoped for in well protecting the seats from dogs, grandchildren, beach sand, and grime. And theyā€™re easy to remove and clean.

IMG_8547.jpeg

IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8549.jpeg
Did the wrinkles actually smooth out? Any photos post smoothing?
Sponsored

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Type R

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't get over how good this FL5 is. I sold a 718 Boxter GTS for this car since I have young kids and really never had time to drive the 718. This car feels as planted as that car does on my favorite ramps and roads for literally half the price.

I''ve only got 30 miles so I still have a ton of breaking in and keeping it under 4k, but the turbo spools quick, the seats are amazing, and the transmission is sublime. My weekend/track car is a 93 RX7 which is obviously way more raw, but I worry it might need to go on a battery tender for a while. I'm eager to get it to the track and see how it compares to the 7 and the 718. Both are a blast on track but the Mazda will always be more rowdy and raw: 400WHP, 2900lb's, and no driver nannies.

The 718 begged and inspired me to drive harder on track and if I didn't know any better on some of my favorite roads/ramps, I'd think I was still in the Porsche.

If you told 16 year old me that 26 years later, I'd be driving a Civic (again -- first car was 93 Civic EX), I'd have laughed at you.

4g63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5, 2022 Mach E, (prev) ND1 Miata, Evo 8
Picked up my CW today.

Previously was in an ND1 Miata then further back had a 135i and an Evo 8. The FL5 is not a daily, but it'll be driven consistently.

First reaction is that this car is wide - very wide. It adds to the feeling of being planted but it surprised me. Second is that the much talked about dampeners aren't as harsh as I was expecting given all I've read about it. Maybe it's because I have the Evo 8 experience to relate to where it was like you were riding on wood. Overall, for a non-daily, very doable, but not sure I'd want to commute on it.

Finally, this car is special in a way few cars are anymore.

I was deciding between the CTR, ITS, RS3, and the CTV4-V Blackwing. The RS3 and Blackwing are obviously in another league from a power perspective, but for my situation - someone who grew up at local car meets during the peak of Evo vs. STI, it's tough to shake how much nostalgia and legacy are a part of ownership.

Feeling very lucky (and privileged) to capture some of that magic again in 2023.

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dardysing

First Name
Dardy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Received (after l-o-n-g wait) the Dream Automotive FL5 rear seat cover. Same excellent quality as the front covers. Seat backs fit perfectly, but the sear bottom is tricky - could have used a tip sheet, etc. as the best fitting I could manage was to partially remove the cushion and slide the edges underneath. The wrinkles will smooth out after a week or so, and while these certainly arenā€™t elegant-looking custom covers, they do what I hoped for in well protecting the seats from dogs, grandchildren, beach sand, and grime. And theyā€™re easy to remove and clean.

IMG_8547.jpeg

IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8549.jpeg
How have you tied down the full size spare? Any chance of a pic showing the tie down points not shown in your previous photo? Cheers

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Picked up my CW today.

Previously was in an ND1 Miata then further back had a 135i and an Evo 8. The FL5 is not a daily, but it'll be driven consistently.

First reaction is that this car is wide - very wide. It adds to the feeling of being planted but it surprised me. Second is that the much talked about dampeners aren't as harsh as I was expecting given all I've read about it. Maybe it's because I have the Evo 8 experience to relate to where it was like you were riding on wood. Overall, for a non-daily, very doable, but not sure I'd want to commute on it.

I was deciding between the CTR, ITS, RS3, and the CTV4-V Blackwing. The RS3 and Blackwing are obviously in another league from a power perspective, but for my situation - someone who grew up at local car meets during the peak of Evo vs. STI, it's tough to shake how much nostalgia and legacy are a part of ownership.

Feeling very lucky (and privileged) to capture some of that magic again in 2023.
How would you rate the street ā€œfun factorā€ between your ND1 and the FL5? Iā€™m in-between ordering a 2024 ND3 or waiting for the FL5/ITS. Like you, it wonā€™t be my daily, but will be driven consistently (3-day weekends, and will occasionally drive the new car to work).

4g63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5, 2022 Mach E, (prev) ND1 Miata, Evo 8
How would you rate the street ā€œfun factorā€ between your ND1 and the FL5? Iā€™m in-between ordering a 2024 ND3 or waiting for the FL5/ITS. Like you, it wonā€™t be my daily, but will be driven consistently (3-day weekends, and will occasionally drive the new car to work).
I haven't gotten past break in on the FL5 so I don't have a perfect comparison, but I think they're pretty different experiences - chassis, driven-wheels, size, NA vs. Forced Induction, etc. That said, they're both pretty pure driving experiences for the category they compete in: convertible roadster and FWD sedan.

I think fun is pretty subjective and you have to ask yourself what gets you excited about the car.

Handling-wise Miata feels like you're a part of the car, literally sitting on the road. The FL5 feels so much bigger (this cannot be overemphasized), but extremely planted for its width. It should also be noted that the stock Miata ride is much more forgiving.

Power delivery is also very different - the Miata has just enough (the ND1 was less powered w/ lower redline vs. the '24) to be fun, but it's very much a linear gain. The FL5 has the classic turbo power curve and I can't deny the joy of hearing boost.

Finally, the Miata is undoubtedly the better weekend, nice roads, top-down enjoy the sun kind of drive. But I think the FL5 will be the more entertaining daily on everyday city streets.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Picked up my CW today.

I used to have a '06 Evo IX as well. I definitely missed that car out of the many I've owned or been through. The Type R does bring back some of that nostalgia, you're right.

GIChoe

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Si
Reviving a dead thread: I bought a 2024 Si in October because my VW died and I figured it was time to settle into a manual, reliable, gas efficient car until the California ban on new ICE cars goes into effect. Then, while I was getting my complimentary oil change a few weeks ago, I saw a Boost Blue Type R in the showroom floor. I kept staring at it before a salesman approached me and talked some numbers. Long story short, if you've ever wondered why you can see brand new cars with only a few thousand miles on the odo on autotrader, it's because of people like me šŸ˜…

Impressions between the two (aside from the obvious things like power):

1. The interior of the two are ergonomically identical (seats aside), but the Type R's is so much nicer to be in. The red carpets, the alcantara, the footwell lights; it all adds up to a nicer experience.

2. The Si developed small rattles within the first week; we'll see if the Type R holds up.

3. Quality of life things:
-The Si just flat out doesn't show oil temperature, coolant temperature, or oil pressure. At all. The Type R does.
-The Si doesn't show you what gear you're in, the Type R does no matter what mode you're in. People might wonder why it matters, but trust me, I'd much rather have it than not.
-The Si doesn't remember what drive setting you were in. Whenever you start it up, it auto-defaults to comfort mode. I love that the Type R remembers.

4. The Type R flat out does not have start/stop. I liked having it in my Si for longer stop and go commutes, especially when I know I'm at an intersection that takes an inordinate amount of time to switch to green.

Best moment so far:
Driving on the freeway and encountering a GR Corolla. He immediately pulled up aside me and gave me and enthusiastic thumbs up, which I returned. We then hooned a bit following each other. Love moments like that.

Last edited:

leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I picked up my CW a couple days ago.

For context, here's my driving background: drove an EM2 Civic in college, S2k for 6 years after that, then a WRX for the last 8 years. I also had friends that had their slew of other JDM "shit boxes" like EGs, EKs, DC2, DC2R, and S2ks in varying conditions. Also having driven or been in those cars, the FL5s dampening profile doesn't bother me at all.

Coming from those cars, the FL5 is straight luxury. In comfort mode, the car is so smooth. It feels like my friend's M4. Everything from the clutch, shifter, rev matching, and pedals feel extremely well engineered and honed. I really enjoy driving again and I look for reasons to run errands or just get in my car.

Someone else mentioned this, but doing casual 4th gear freeway passing pulls gets you quicking in the triple digits.

My wife isn't a fan yet. She's still hung up on a 40 year white collar professional with a kid owning a Honda Civic with a big wing lol. But she sat in the car and exclaimed, "it's so soft and it's hugging me."

Lastly, I intend on keeping this as a forever car. I put in Tuxmats when I brought it home (I preordered it because I wanted to keep the red carpets as prestine as possible). I noticed the clutch issue that others mentioned, but I put a velcro clip in that area and that issue was fixed. I got a quote for new car detail/decontamination, PPF, ceramic coat, and tint. So I'll be scheduling that with my detailer soon.

I haven't been this excited for a car in a long, long time.

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Second is that the much talked about dampeners aren't as harsh as I was expecting given all I've read about it. Maybe it's because I have the Evo 8 experience to relate to where it was like you were riding on wood. Overall, for a non-daily, very doable, but not sure I'd want to commute on it.

I'm always surprised when people say the Type R is overly stiff, but I'm coming from a Veloster N that was harsher in every possible way. That said, I'm still gonna try out and ITS ADS unit because I'd love a cushier ride option for long commutes.

And the car DOES feel special. You own what will likely be the last internal combustion engine Type R, it has a ton of curb appeal and JDM nostalgia. I truly think that in 20-30 years the FL5 will be looked at the same way as a DC2.
Sponsored