• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New SI - warning lights and limp mode

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Civic Si Sedan, 12 MIata SE PRHT
Just purchased the car 2 weeks ago and has 162 miles. Took it to get ppf installed and when I picked it up every dash warning light is on and it's saying power steering is out, tpms is out, brake system problem, adaptive cruise issue, lane keep, collision mitigation, emission system, and a few others are out in the display in the rpm gauge. Two shops can't scan the car because it's a 23. Called Honda roadside assistance and waiting for a tow to the dealer.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

type r fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Sounds like ppf guys got water on something they shouldn't have

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately it sounds like the dealer can't get to it today. I also had the ppf guy install window tint (not front windshield). From talking to both this morning they were leaning toward the tint possibly causing this and not the ppf. Not sure I understand that.

Has anyone run a battery down to very low levels but still able to crank? Could that cause all these issues? The car cranks and idles fine. I also let it idle for probably an hour (needed ac) while waiting on tow truck so I don't buy the low battery charge unless the battery is bad or the alternator is not charging.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
I’d like to know what you found out from the dealer! Thanks

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
Just purchased the car 2 weeks ago and has 162 miles. Took it to get ppf installed and when I picked it up every dash warning light is on and it's saying power steering is out, tpms is out, brake system problem, adaptive cruise issue, lane keep, collision mitigation, emission system, and a few others are out in the display in the rpm gauge. Two shops can't scan the car because it's a 23. Called Honda roadside assistance and waiting for a tow to the dealer.

Any ideas?
Had something similar happen once or twice when I had my SI. I shut the car off and then turned it back on and it was fine.

Assuming you tried that?

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had something similar happen once or twice when I had my SI. I shut the car off and then turned it back on and it was fine.

Assuming you tried that?
Multiple times over the 2-3 hours I was waiting. Drove the car in the same parking lot to AAA for them to scan (they couldn't). Car was off while they tried scanning. Drove it another 100' to the auto repair shop in same parking lot. They couldn't scan. Drove back to open parking lot to wait for tow truck. Cranked it every so often while waiting when i got to hot. I also disconnected the battery twice too see if that would reset the car... No luck.

I also have a Bluetooth obd reader with the torque app on my phone that I had my wife bring. I couldn't get that to work either, but that may have been the Bluetooth readers issue as I couldn't get a consistent signal from it

Last edited:

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
Is the ECU reflashed?

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the ECU reflashed?
The car got off the delivery truck on Friday night...I bought it / drove it the 2 hours home Saturday morning. It had 2 miles on it when we bought it. I have no idea if the dealer reflashed it as part of PDI (pre delivery inspection). The car has sat in my garage for the 2 weeks until I was able to get a PPF appointment. We PPF all our new cars. I have not modified the car in any way yet.

This is my wife's new car that will be our highway car so there will be no engine mods made to it. It's replacing a 15 Si that has 135k miles which includes about 18 months of Covid.....So we average 15-20k miles/year.

Last edited:

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
I had my Si also do this, but it was after a reflash with FlashPro. I reflashed the ECU again, and problem has not happened again. Thankfully the car was drivable just with all the lights and errors popping up.

I took delivery of mine 2 or 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my Si also do this, but it was after a reflash with FlashPro. I reflashed the ECU again, and problem has not happened again. Thankfully the car was drivable just with all the lights and errors popping up.
My car is the modified car...It has a tune using EcuTek. Again, no engine mods planned for the Si.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
This happens when the battery goes dead and you have to drive the car to get the readiness to set. Has to go through a short drive cycle to get that done. I know the PPF and tint guys where I work like to leave the car on and or the radio on while they work and kill batteries all the time.

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This happens when the battery goes dead and you have to drive the car to get the readiness to set. Has to go through a short drive cycle to get that done. I know the PPF and tint guys where I work like to leave the car on and or the radio on while they work and kill batteries all the time.
We will find out today as the dealer said they can work on it this morning. It's possible that it's battery related but again the car cranks and idles fine. They did not say they had to jump start the car but they could have. There was no driving anywhere as the ppf shop is in a 6 lane highway (3 each way) and the car was in limp mode. I couldn't get it above1500 or so rpm in the somewhat big parking lot. I also wasnt willing to risk causing damage to my car by driving it with all these active warnings and bells/chimes constantly going off. Nothing in my Google searches turned up all these warnings/limp mode causes in the civic.

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well it ended up being the Throttle Position Sensor being bad so had nothing to do with the ppf/tint folks. This is what my OBD/Torque app was saying also, but i thought it wasn't communicating properly since it wasn't reading real time engine data like it does on my other cars.

Part has to be ordered and will be repaired end of next week.
Sponsored