• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Type-R (way better than Type S ;) )

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Congratulations! Looks great in that blue, excellent choice.

You now have a complete garage - fun and function both covered in style.

If and when you track it, love to hear your impressions as someone used to driving a performance legend. It has been said that if Porsche ever made a fwd car, it would handle like the CTR.
You are in a better position than most to verify that statement.

Enjoy.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I love your garage lighting.
Yeah. Thatā€™s the lighting you can find in detailing shops. Itā€™s pretty cool. It helps show imperfections in the panels and the finish. If youā€™re not a little OCD already with your car, those lights will make you OCD. Iā€™m in the former group already.šŸ¤£

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
It felt similar driving it besides the seats.. The seats are 100x better in the Type-R.. The shifter felt nearly the same as well. Very close to the GT3, extremely precise with no slop. It seemed like the CTR had 30-40 ft lbs of torque on the Type S, but i'm sure that's just tuning.
Test driving new cars and judging power if fuel trim learning did not complete or done on the ECU end can make for a bad first impression. (Dealers often let cars idle too long, or get in a drive the doors off etc) The ITS makes more TQ and power than CTR on a dyno as an FYI.

OP
OP
jayely14

jayely14

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
992 GT3, Model Y
Test driving new cars and judging power if fuel trim learning did not complete or done on the ECU end can make for a bad first impression. (Dealers often let cars idle too long, or get in a drive the doors off etc) The ITS makes more TQ and power than CTR on a dyno as an FYI.
Hey Savagegeese, I watch all your videos man!

Every car has slightly different hp/tq ratings from the factory as well correct? Iā€™d be curious to see dyno numbers from others in stock form.
Also, Iā€™m just staying how it felt subjectively Iā€™m not arguing the numbers, just how it felt.. All hard to say in a 5 min test drive with the salesman yapping in my ear ;)

Last edited:

D0n.Quix0te

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #5859
Congrats! It definitely looks great in Boost Blue. I reserved a Type S in Tiger Eye Pearl, but backed out when I saw a red FL5 in person. Fast forward a month and I'm happily driving the Type R in Sonic Grey Pearl.

OP
OP
jayely14

jayely14

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
992 GT3, Model Y
Congrats! It definitely looks great in Boost Blue. I reserved a Type S in Tiger Eye Pearl, but backed out when I saw a red FL5 in person. Fast forward a month and I'm happily driving the Type R in Sonic Grey Pearl.
Nearly my same experience.. I saw the Type-S in person (which looks great in photos) but in person was very turned off by it.. And in photos the Type-R looks Ok....But I saw it in person and was sold instantly.

LeoA86

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just saw in person a type s and Iā€™m not interested in buying it. Too expensive and youā€™re not getting much more over the ctr. The seats are a deal breaker for me especially at that price point. I canā€™t stand the rear fenders glued/tacked on with the large gaps. Looks crappy. Also thereā€™sa lot of large body gaps on the front bumper and headlights. The hood was not aligned properly either. Overall happy with the ctr.

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Just saw in person a type s and Iā€™m not interested in buying it. Too expensive and youā€™re not getting much more over the ctr. The seats are a deal breaker for me especially at that price point. I canā€™t stand the rear fenders glued/tacked on with the large gaps. Looks crappy. Also thereā€™sa lot of large body gaps on the front bumper and headlights. The hood was not aligned properly either. Overall happy with the ctr.
i just got the ITS and
You need to drive it.

Type S is worth the premium. It looks more special, sounds more special. North America only. Its faster than type R. The Type R looks like another civic with the wing.

OP
OP
jayely14

jayely14

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
992 GT3, Model Y
i just got the ITS and

You need to drive it.

Type S is worth the premium. It looks more special, sounds more special. North America only. Its faster than type R. The Type R looks like another civic with the wing.
Completely disagree... The Type S in person looks MUCH worse than the Type-R... IN person.. The Type-R doesn't look like a normal Civic either.. I've got more photos and questions about it than my GT3 in the 2 weeks i've had it.. And that says something..

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
You need to drive it.

I thought all conclusions pointed at it being a wash to which one was faster? Looks are subjective. I seriously considered both and initially liked how the Type S looked in pictures more. Seeing both in person I like everything about the FL5 more except I think the ITS has a nicer looking ass. To me, the interior of the FL5 is cleaner and the design will age much better.

Isn't the price gap closer in Canada between the two compared to the USA? I also realize that getting an FL5 in Canada is almost impossible, I would be going for the ITS if I lived there. I was split on things I like about both but I am also into AutoX and track days so the FL5 wins hands down if for nothing else other than the seats. Also the ITS being 5" longer than the already large FL5 is a dealbreaker for me as I wouldn't be able to fit the ITS into my garage with my weightlifting rack/platform in place.

Honestly I don't think you can lose with either, both seem to be fantastic cars.

Last edited:

Bambzolbment

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
The sound alone makes ITS worth it.
GT3 touring vs GT3, both incredible cars, and at msrp its worth it.

i feel many who paid exaggerated CTR prices need to justify their premium
Sponsored