• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil dilution?

slender_fe1

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic si
My dip stick smells like gas, should I change my oil asap? I don't know if that's what oil smells like cause I haven't done my own oil change yet but this might be the excuse I need to get it done. I heard gas can go past the piston rings if you beat on it without warming it up first but I don't do that so idk.
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
My dip stick smells like gas, should I change my oil asap? I don't know if that's what oil smells like cause I haven't done my own oil change yet but this might be the excuse I need to get it done. I heard gas can go past the piston rings if you beat on it without warming it up first but I don't do that so idk.
How many miles? DI engines dump a bit of fuel through the rings. That is why I like to keep my oil changes at around 3k intervals. Its cheap insurance.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

How many miles on your vehicle?

I've heard that changing the first "break-in oil" too early may or may not help.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

How many miles on your vehicle?

I've heard that changing the first "break-in oil" too early may or may not help.
Its always good practice to run the break in oil for a bit but once its over 1k miles everything will be pretty broken in.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I currently have 2650 miles on the car
Then you are good to go to change the oil. Depending on how cold it gets where you are I would go with a 5w-30. I can also help you with the oil if you are interested in amsoil products.

OP
OP
slender_fe1

slender_fe1

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic si
Then you are good to go to change the oil. Depending on how cold it gets where you are I would go with a 5w-30. I can also help you with the oil if you are interested in amsoil products.
I live in tulsa, oklahoma. It rarely ever gets below 32f, I've seen others using 5w-30 with no issues. I have also heard that ester based oil is good for protection and I do plan on tracking my car this spring. Which oil would you recommend though?

Last edited:

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
DI has the inherent problem of fuel impinging into the oil on the cylinder walls, getting past the rings that way and accumulating. Especially if you don't get the car up to operating temp every trip, which can help keep water and volatiles out of the oil. Or this is how I remember it - I had this concern with 2 different vehicles years ago.

For me it improved with time, never noticing the gassy smell again after 10k miles or so. In one case it may have been the oil. 5000 miles on Subaru factory fill, 5000 miles on M1 full synthetic, both gassy per my nose and Blackstone. Then switched to M1 ESP, dilution was low, nose confirmed it and never noticed it again. Could have been the additives. Other vehicle I never had the oil tested, ran it on water-thin M1 AFE from the start per OEM recommendation and I noticed the gassy smell go away over time as well.

Anyway, use good oil and make sure to go for a longer trip from time to time and it will be OK. I smell some gas in the FL5. Will be running the M1 Extended Performance 0W20 (thickest 0W20, lots of additive package) and see how it goes.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I live in tulsa, oklahoma. It rarely ever gets below 32f, I've seen others using 5w-30 with no issues. I have also heard that ester based oil is good for protection and I do plan on tracking my car this spring. Which oil would you recommend though?
I use amsoil signature on all my cars. Running the 5w-30 on mine and I track it and 0 problems. Also the oil does not shear as quickly as a 0 weight. If you need help you can DM me.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
i lots of short trips as delivery driver and no oil dilution yet at 5k miles on factory fill. started to get darker in color around 4800 miles after some high rpm driving.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
i lots of short trips as delivery driver and no oil dilution yet at 5k miles on factory fill. started to get darker in color around 4800 miles after some high rpm driving.
You won’t be able to tell the dilution just by color.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I use amsoil signature on all my cars. Running the 5w-30 on mine and I track it and 0 problems. Also the oil does not shear as quickly as a 0 weight. If you need help you can DM me.
I've been using M1 for years because it's cheap and easy to get and I figure it's good enough for me. I've always had in the back of my mind, ehh maybe I should switch to Amsoil?

Nowadays I have a good reason to go out of my way for better oil *cough* so after I read this post I went looking. I ended up doing the whole Amsoil preferred member thing and will run signature in the CTR and 86 and maybe the basic full synthetic in our normal vehicle(s) since it's not much more expensive than M1 at that point.

Anyhow it's funny because your avatar picture looks like a Mobil 1 advert

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
i know that. i'm judging oil dilution by smell of fuel and level. i was just adding more information. do with that what you will.
And I appreciate that, just that it might not be the most reliable way to tell. But its all good
Sponsored