• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint protection - Pros and Cons

pbrowne

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 in 2024
I'm a bit torn between different methods for paint protection:
  • Ceramic ( and the different versions)
  • Film
  • Wax
Looking at this company who do ceramic in Western Australia, the downsides are putting me off. I don't want the protection to degrade ruining the car's finish.

https://autofxwa.com.au/services/ceramic_coatings/

The film likewise, I can see the film eventually breaking down, especially in the hot sun we get in Western Australia.

To me keeping the car waxed and not having a layer that can degrade is better risk management.

Am I wrong? Opinions?

I would like to hear of cases where ceramic is like a couple of years old and issues.
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
You can do the film only on the high impact areas. I haven't heard much about the ceramic and plus you're doubtful of that, so it'd be best to skip it for the time being.

I did film in the past but then I didn't see the value anymore so I stopped doing it.

Looks like you're heading in the right direction as far as protecting the vehicle, so maybe you will get some more feedback and input on here to help you make your decision.

Davewoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
I sold my FK8 and got the FL5, boost blue. I ceramic coat all my cars, it's the cheapest, best way to protect my paint. Avalon king is the coating I use. For a hundred USD, I get enough to coat my entire car and many other thing I want to coat like phone screens, etc.
You can apply it yourself and it will last 2 years strong. Every where I go, people ask how I keep it so clean. I Hadn't washed it in over a month, lol. It just looks clean all the time. I'll never use wax again.
Now, if your worried about Knicks and chips from sand and gravel, never drive your car, or do the film. But the film costs a thousand at least, and it won't stop larger bits from chiping and dinging your ride.
This is just my opinion.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I think it’s best to think of ceramic coating as a way to more easily keep your paint clean and protected from contaminants. I’m not sure how much it helps with UV protection, but I know it definitely makes keeping the car’s exterior clean A LOT easier. It is totally worth it if you like your car to be clean, but don’t necessarily enjoy spending hours doing so. I love that aspect of it. My car always looks clean with minimal effort. And the PPF helps me worry less about small rock chips and scratches when driving at highway speeds.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
PPf complete front and whoever tells you it's not worth it compare a car with and without...and you will see with your own eyes .

OP
OP

pbrowne

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 in 2024
Why just the front? Wouldn't it be apparent the difference between front and back?

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, looks uniform ...even if your looking at it a foot away. Have to do some research with your local shops, in regards to what brand ppf are they using, etc ....

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do full car but that gets costly, I got full front last summer,and a quote,just recently to do all A B and C pillars, and skid skirts, both sides ppf for 400, all that piano black that's impossible to keep looking good.

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
I used TW HS Ceramic wash/wax and their ceramic spray coating. results are incredible. before you could see all the scratches/swirls in the sunlight and now all you can see is a mirror finish unless you really get up close with a flashlight.

When i was using Meguiars Ultimate Wash/wax car would be covered in pollen by the end of the day. None of the pollen sticks anymore after applying the ceramic spray.

car is super slippery. makes it easier to wash too. I've tried so many different detailing products and the TW HS Ceramic spray is by far the best bang for the buck. I don't even bother with traditional carnauba waxes anymore. seems to just make my car sticky and all the dirt sticks to it.
Sponsored