• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R)

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
That to me looks like something dropped on the paint, like oil, fuel, or some chemical.

I’m honestly wondering if the detail shop didn’t somehow manage to screw up.
Sponsored

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update: Car picked up from the dealership. Bumper waa repainted and looks good.

Dropped it back off at the detailer and should be done next Monday-Wednesday.

Wife's getting induced tonight so shouldn't have any concerns thinking about it this weekend!
Congrats! Just noticed this update.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
That to me looks like something dropped on the paint, like oil, fuel, or some chemical.

I’m honestly wondering if the detail shop didn’t somehow manage to screw up.
2 people have now said that the part on the bumper looked like a finger print. Truthfully, I think it was a poorly prepped bumper. Will probably never know for 100% sure but they did all the other surfaces just fine.

Hopefully we get it back and fully completed by tuesday/Wednesday

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
Regardless of what happened, I'm glad that it was covered!

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 people have now said that the part on the bumper looked like a finger print. Truthfully, I think it was a poorly prepped bumper. Will probably never know for 100% sure but they did all the other surfaces just fine.

Hopefully we get it back and fully completed by tuesday/Wednesday
Great that it’s getting taken care of. The more I look at it the more it looks like something splashed, hence the different “spots” - the spots are the splash. That’s my guess.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey all, will continue to provide updates on the car.

I know this is a car forum, but as a first time dad and on a forum about the Type R, I now share a new love and wanted to show him off. I'm proud and excited to be a parent and love him more than the car already (maybe...lol) jk.

Anyway, I hope you can all welcome my son Myles to the world.

Thanks

11th Gen Honda Civic Paint pulling from front bumper during PPF install (2023 Boost Blue Type R) 20230115_103407

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picking up the car from my detailer tomorrow after finally getting this whole thing sorted out. Will post pics as soon as I get it!

He sent me a text today also telling me there were no issues installing the PPF on the bumper.

Obviously I still don't believe there is any hard guaranteed way of knowing whose fault this is, but, im inclined to believe the paint was poorly prepped from the factory on the bumper. The bumpers are injection molded and painted aside from the rest of the car and assembled onto the car later, which leads me to also believe it's a factory issue given they only had an issue PPFing the front bumper the first time.

Just glad to finally put this mess to rest!

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Picking up the car from my detailer tomorrow after finally getting this whole thing sorted out. Will post pics as soon as I get it!

He sent me a text today also telling me there were no issues installing the PPF on the bumper.

Obviously I still don't believe there is any hard guaranteed way of knowing whose fault this is, but, im inclined to believe the paint was poorly prepped from the factory on the bumper. The bumpers are injection molded and painted aside from the rest of the car and assembled onto the car later, which leads me to also believe it's a factory issue given they only had an issue PPFing the front bumper the first time.

Just glad to finally put this mess to rest!
Don't know if I mentioned it but my car was delivered with a messed up hood. It has puddles and mars all over it. My detailer said it looked like someone tried to buff out some damage at the port and messed it all up. The service manager was great though. He took one look and said it wasn't right. Honda offered to pay for it to be resprayed but me and the service manager both thought it would be better if my detailer could fix it. If he can fix it when it goes in next week Honda agreed to pay for the correction and any work it needs. I wonder if your bumper got damaged in shipping and they tried to fix it at the port.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know if I mentioned it but my car was delivered with a messed up hood. It has puddles and mars all over it. My detailer said it looked like someone tried to buff out some damage at the port and messed it all up. The service manager was great though. He took one look and said it wasn't right. Honda offered to pay for it to be resprayed but me and the service manager both thought it would be better if my detailer could fix it. If he can fix it when it goes in next week Honda agreed to pay for the correction and any work it needs. I wonder if your bumper got damaged in shipping and they tried to fix it at the port.
I did inquire regarding something od that possibllility and the dealer I bought the car from said if there was any kind of shipping related damage they would have told me at purchase. There was nothing of that regard.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
I did inquire regarding something od that possibllility and the dealer I bought the car from said if there was any kind of shipping related damage they would have told me at purchase. There was nothing of that regard.
That's only if the port guys are honest. They are supposed to disclose any damage over a certain dollar amount but they don't always do that.

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's only if the port guys are honest. They are supposed to disclose any damage over a certain dollar amount but they don't always do that.
Well I guess I'll never know lol.

I'm chalking it up to paint prep issues whether it be from factory, shipping, dealer. Doesn't matter to me. Honda fixed it thats all I really cared about.

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500
Quick update: Car picked up from the dealership. Bumper waa repainted and looks good.

Dropped it back off at the detailer and should be done next Monday-Wednesday.

Wife's getting induced tonight so shouldn't have any concerns thinking about it this weekend!
Don't you need to wait for the repaint to cure before PPF?

OP
OP

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't you need to wait for the repaint to cure before PPF?
They did say the manufacturers recommendation is to wait 90 days for any paintwork. However so long as the car is baked they said it is good to be PPFed. I also confirmed with 2 body shop experts that do not work for Honda and they agreed that it would be ok. And it was. Car looks good no issues
Sponsored