Sponsored

Problem driving through water puddles - grind/buzz when I rev - have to restart the car to fix

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Just when we thought it was resolved. I asked my tuner about this issue and they said they never heard of these problems. Do you happen to have a resonated catback exhaust?
Its stock - I did have the first resonator replaced with just a pipe to imitate the type-s. Maybe its getting loose? It was made by MRT and slips over the part that is cut out... I suppose ill be crawling under the car (hate that.. lol) and checking the slip on clamps.

The vibrations still feel like they're coming from where the RMM is.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Again it’s probably resonance when everything is up to temp. One part gets excited and starts vibrating and transferring movement to other things that normally don’t experience those frequencies and then it stays until it’s all reset.
But why is it happening in the rain when splashing through huge puddles? Its not happening any other time, like its so bad I have to pull over on the shoulder of the highway and turn the car off. The vibrations get to be so bad at anything over idle.

My FK8 never had these issues even with its PRL RMM and this is all new/recent - that PRL RMM had close to 20k miles on it and up till around it being 15k or 16k miles old it was fine / the car was fine.

Whats happening isnt normal - I get what youre saying - but there needs to be a way to fix it and its not because of having an upgraded RMM. There IS more NVH overall but nothing absurd. I installed Hasport 75A (might have been higher) engine mounts (full set) on an EP3 and it was wild anytime the AC kicked on. Id describe that as NVH on the more extreme side but still not weird like what I am experiencing.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
So all of the exhaust bolts are tight as are the slip fit clamp bolts. There might be a little bit of a rattle coming from the engine under tray plate.

Tapping on the rear half of the under tray with the front part removed, there is an audible tapping. The front under tray has metal that’s not flat so I guess there’s a chance that it’s causing the reverberations?

And cutting up some rubber to use to absorb the sound. And I’ll probably just order an aftermarket engine under tray.

But I just can’t figure out what else this could possibly be if not as bad sensor somewhere.

I might even try putting in a stock rear motor mount.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Maybe you can get a stock RMM to eliminate that variable too. They’re so easy to swap in and out, it’s worth a Shot.
Thats my next thought - and maybe try a different undertray?

I was able to get some logs today of the wheel speed sensors after driving through some deep puddles. Spinning the tires and engaging abs didnt cause it to start which is surprising. But the more this happens the more "testing" I can do. I really just have to drive in some very heavy rain which we seem to be getting more often now.

Side note - could this be the result of leaving the exhaust valve set to open all the time? Maybe water or vibrations causing that thing to rattle since its always open?
 


OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
I disconnected and cleaned my passenger front ABS wheel speed sensor after logs showed it acting wonky. Issue still persists. Might be bad but I wont know till I run another log in heavy rain.

It happened again though the other day - it doesnt happen when I have wheel spin. It just happens when either heavy rain is falling OR I drive through a deep puddle that kicks water up.

The vibrations will persist until I either pull over or keep the car in 3rd gear. I dont know why 3rd gear is magical but it is and the issue goes away pretty quick when I shift into 3rd. It will vibrate though in ANY gear or Neutral. It just goes away quickly once I put it in 3rd and rev.

I have no clue what to log next or to just take it to Honda again but with it being so intermittent is that even helpful short of them recording it into their system? Advice please.
 

blugenfl5

Member
First Name
jay
Joined
Dec 30, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
florida
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
I had a custom tune done to my car and after i did drive through a heavy rainfall and it didn’t have the symptoms. I don’t know if that is the fix but it responded alot better.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
I am not saying I dont want to tune the car but I also dont want to tune it and Honda find an issue with the engine and deny warranty because of a tune specifically lol. I know they have to prove it but if the motor does have an issue I would like to 'fix' it first but anyways. I doubt it is the motor.

I did just find this:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/major-vibration-when-it-rains.46726/

Which is weird because I had a FK8 prior for 3 years and drove about 45k miles in that.. But never through massive rain storms like we seem to keep having here in Cincinnati lately
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
711
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
Man, what an odd problem! Reading that FK8 thread, it sounds like all those people had aftermarket exhaust systems. Can you get a look at the area around the resonator delete pipe and see if there’s any evidence of the pipe contacting the undercarriage? Or any other part of the exhaust system for that matter.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Man, what an odd problem! Reading that FK8 thread, it sounds like all those people had aftermarket exhaust systems. Can you get a look at the area around the resonator delete pipe and see if there’s any evidence of the pipe contacting the undercarriage? Or any other part of the exhaust system for that matter.
I’ll be taking it into Honda soon to have my leaking valve cover addressed and I’ll have them look at everything again.

I was poking around the engine bay last night and saw that. But I think it’s pretty common.

And yeah very very odd. The last time I was under it I didn’t see anything and all the bolts were tight.
 


jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
711
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
I’ll be taking it into Honda soon to have my leaking valve cover addressed and I’ll have them look at everything again.

I was poking around the engine bay last night and saw that. But I think it’s pretty common.

And yeah very very odd. The last time I was under it I didn’t see anything and all the bolts were tight.
Yeah, it is common. I had to replace my valve cover gasket at around 20k mi.

I’m very curious about your rattling issue. The fact that restarting the car cures it is very odd.

Good luck at the dealer!
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
Taking my car in next week to have them see if anything is loose under the car or if something has shifted etc... gave the service advisor a lot of info and my video so hopefully that'll help. They'll do whatever needs doing for the valve cover at that time and as dumb as it is I have to pay for a rental/loaner even with the car under warranty.
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
So if Honda cant figure this out this week I am going to swap the RMM back to stock. This was already happening before I changed out the linkage but I just will trade the car. I cant drive something in the rain this is just stupid and incredibly frustrating. I drove in the rain this evening and again immediately had to pull over and just wait for the rain to end .. 10 minutes on the side of 71S..

The car wasnt 'warmed up' so the idea of a hot exhaust causing this is becoming less likely. I really feel like something is lose like subframe bolts or something crazy like that. But again, why only in the wet. And if swapping the RMM to stock fixes it then I am fine with it but I dont think it will. I had that PRL RMM installed for 20k miles and it was fine till around 15k-17k miles.

/rant
 
OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Threads
17
Messages
430
Reaction score
101
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 CTR - red
The fact that restarting the car cures it is very odd.

Good luck at the dealer!
Sometimes just leaving it in neutral and coasting will cause it to stop vibrating/buzzing. I'm going to have them check the exhaust, heat shields, exhaust hangers and bolts (like subframe, etc..). I have a stock RMM coming so ill swap that in soon and just put the car back to stock until I can have it fixed. I mean I could just get a second car and not drive this one in the rain but.. something isn't right. I hope its something stupid I have overlooked.
 

jtlctr

Senior Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
May 12, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
711
Reaction score
882
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Acura RDX
From your original video, it sounds like something is coming in contact with the body. You definitely shouldn’t need a second car, or need to get rid of it. It’s just an odd problem that needs to be found. I think the most likely culprit is the exhaust, but dammed if I know why that’s happening only in the rain!

I can’t wait to hear what the issue is!
Sponsored

 
 







Top