• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PSA on the AEV “hack”

Contoso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2020 Tundra
Just FYI in case someone runs into the same issue.

I followed @TheTopher ’s instructions to lock the active exhaust valve in the open position a few months ago and the only effect was a better sounding exhaust. No CEL or error codes in the time since.

Fast forward to yesterday when I installed the Acuity shifter bushings, which requires removal of several parts, including the battery. After a definitely-not-one-hour install i put everything back together and head out with the family to see what my $70 and busted knuckles got me. Well, they got me multiple error codes prompting me to see my dealer:

- TPMs failure
- Hill assist failure
- Lane keep assist failure
- Lost access to drive modes
- a couple others I’ve since defragged from memory

I’d not made any changes to electronics and was confident all my sensors were reconnected, so options were limited and a simple restart didn’t help (years in IT failed me now). I stumbled across a Reddit thread recently though which mentioned a CEL clearing after the dealer reinstalled the AEV fuse so I tried the same for S’s and G’s, fired it up, and (after 30 seconds or so of whining at me) all codes cleared. Everything was back to normal and has been since.

To answer the most important questions:

- I never got an error referencing the AEV. Had this simply been a blown fuse for the AEV and I had to troubleshoot this without anything to go by I’d be pissed.
- I still recommend @TheTopher ’s hack because it made the car sound great without needing a full exhaust, but will leave mine alone for now to appease my wife :)
- The bushing upgrade is 100% worth the money and busted knuckles. I didn’t realize how “spongy” the shifter was until it was nearly gone. Shifter base bushings are next.

Stay safe, everyone.
Sponsored