• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PSA - Watch for Spoiler Interference with Garage Doors!

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
I almost made a catastrophic mistake with my 2 day old FL5. I was parked in my garage and opened my trunk. As it raised up I noticed the garage door was close and quickly stopped it from going up more. It would have hit the metal locking mechanism on the door if it continued. I was able to put a bunch of microfiber cloths on the mechanism to protect the spoiler in case I'm not paying attention. I have a standard size garage door, so I can imagine other people would have the same issue. Just a heads up!

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Watch for Spoiler Interference with Garage Doors! PXL_20230831_234718603
11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Watch for Spoiler Interference with Garage Doors! PXL_20230831_234735688
Sponsored

Last edited:

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
One of my missions for the fall is getting my garage cleaned out to the point that I can park in there. I'll remember this ....

BBoarders

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota, Mercedes, Lexus, Jeep, Olds
Sadly, this has happened to meā€¦ twice. Only I can see what happened to the spoiler, but still!
Iā€™ve been trying to come up with a way to limit how far the hatch will open. Itā€™s built into the SUV but I think this will take some kind of a cord.

shyong

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M3 Competition, 2023 CTR Champ White
Been there, done that. ROFL. I nicked the left side edge of the stock spoiler. I used some touch-up paint to cover it. I have PPF on the entire car, including the spoiler. However, the locking mechanism metal bracket is pretty sharp, the part that came in contact.

About a few days later my OCD couldn't get over the paint nick even with the fix. Ordered and installed the Honda Carbon fiber spoiler. I know I won't be opening the hatch with the garage door open again.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Been there, done that. ROFL. I nicked the left side edge of the stock spoiler. I used some touch-up paint to cover it. I have PPF on the entire car, including the spoiler. However, the locking mechanism metal bracket is pretty sharp, the part that came in contact.

About a few days later my OCD couldn't get over the paint nick even with the fix. Ordered and installed the Honda Carbon fiber spoiler. I know I won't be opening the hatch with the garage door open again.
Lol Iā€™m in the same boat considering either paint matching the spoiler or getting the carbon one. Mindlessly opened the hatch in the garage without thinking and the spoiler flew into the garage door, very minor scratch.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
A fix would be to back the car into the garage. Takes a little longer, but when you get used to doing it, itā€™s NBD. Zero worry of the spoiler hitting the garage door anymore.

shyong

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I could but can't. I park on the right side of the garage where I have a car blower, wash buckets, tools, etc against the wall. I wouldn't be able to open up the driver side door.

shyong

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol Iā€™m in the same boat considering either paint matching the spoiler or getting the carbon one. Mindlessly opened the hatch in the garage without thinking and the spoiler flew into the garage door, very minor scratch.
Isn't it amazing how tall the car is with the hatch fully open with the spoiler? It wasn't even in my thought process when I first opened the hatch in the garage.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It is indeed very tall. I think it gets nearly as close to hitting the garage door as our MDXā€™s lift gate. Thereā€™s maybe just an inch or two of clearance, Clarence.šŸ˜‚

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I honestly don't know how this is possible. My garage door is about 2 feet higher than my open hatch. It is newer construction but I never really considered it to be a tall garage door compared to anything else that is modern.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I honestly don't know how this is possible. My garage door is about 2 feet higher than my open hatch. It is newer construction but I never really considered it to be a tall garage door compared to anything else that is modern.
It really depends how the rail system is angled. Mine are a little lower since I have a overhead storage on top of where the garage door passes. Also new construction but ceiling height is at 11ft.

2k2s2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000
I unfortunately had this happen but in my work parking garage. Never even thought about the overhead supports before but I opened the trunk and it hit one of the cement supports and chipped the paint on my spoiler. I've also been thinking of potentially getting the carbon fiber spoiler as a fix.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
My car fits just fine in my garage, even with a weight power rack in front of it, and the hatch will not contact the garage door if the door is open. One time I did back my car up several feet so that the rear of the car was about even with the garage opening. I opened the hatch to throw something in real quick without thinking and the wing hit the latch on the overhead garage door. If the car had been 6" further forward or back there would not have been any contact.

The scratch was probably an inch and a half long and I was freaking out since this was only like a week after I got the car. I was able to polish out 90% of the scratch but there is a small gouge still present. I touched it up and it looks good enough, definitely can't see it unless you really go looking.

If it really bothers me I have the factory Carbon wing I can put on. Just deciding if I want to keep the carbon wing or sell it, it does look really good...

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
A fix would be to back the car into the garage. Takes a little longer, but when you get used to doing it, itā€™s NBD. Zero worry of the spoiler hitting the garage door anymore.
I used to do this, but I have a lot of stuff against the wall of my garage. After years of backing into the garage, I had nice layers of soot everywhere, most of it probably from cold starts. But then again, my S2000 burned a little rich. šŸ™ƒ

OP
OP
STEye

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
It ain't pretty, but it's functional. I use a parking mat and the car is in the same spot each time.

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Watch for Spoiler Interference with Garage Doors! PXL_20230831_234718603
11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Watch for Spoiler Interference with Garage Doors! PXL_20230831_234735688
Sponsored