• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I ceramic coated two wheels today and noticed one had a small "chip" in the paint inside the barrel already - I'd guess from mounting at some point. I managed to put several small nicks in the finish too laying the wheel down on my stoop, thankfully on the backside and not through the undercoat. I've never run into a finish that damaged so easily before.

The finish is VERY DELICATE!!! Be careful folks when working on the wheels.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I really like the stock wheels. If they start looking really bad over time, Iā€™ll look to get them powder coated satin black.šŸ˜

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I love these wheels and dig the finish, no pressing need to swap them out for me.

Pardon the rust, but here is graphene costing on tires and wheels - I am using Adamā€™s products.

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate image

and the other side I havenā€™t done yet

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate image

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Iā€™ve thought about getting another set of wheels, probably 18ā€™s with some beefier rubber for long road trips (more comfort and less worry about potholes). Iā€™m in no rush though.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Took my other two wheels off today and both had minor chips on the inside.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I ceramic coated two wheels today and noticed one had a small "chip" in the paint inside the barrel already - I'd guess from mounting at some point. I managed to put several small nicks in the finish too laying the wheel down on my stoop, thankfully on the backside and not through the undercoat. I've never run into a finish that damaged so easily before.

The finish is VERY DELICATE!!! Be careful folks when working on the wheels.
+1 here too... I'll tell you how delicate it is: I had a gouge on a wheel and i decided to touch it up. I got some zinc paint and some regular Fine-grade sandpaper... started to smooth it out and ended up shaving some metal. geez... was it soft.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
+1 here too... I'll tell you how delicate it is: I had a gouge on a wheel and i decided to touch it up. I got some zinc paint and some regular Fine-grade sandpaper... started to smooth it out and ended up shaving some metal. geez... was it soft.
I knicked mine up the other day just checking the tire pressure. Just added to my desire to get some wheels.

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
Yeah one of mine came rashed from factory somehow. Or from delivery. Dealer tried to touch it up and push it off to me. I didnā€™t notice it until recently and thank goodness for pictures. I went back to pics they sent when car arrived on their lot and you can see the rash except with no touch up paint yet just bare metal. Waiting on my new wheel from them as we speak. They tried to get me to accept a ā€œrepairā€ to the wheel. I said no thank you.

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate D82E3260-9A2C-4735-A6AD-3FD1D202E030

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate 48820E0E-07F7-40B7-9DC3-13AC665B6D18

11th Gen Honda Civic PSA - Wheel finish is VERY delicate 7DFC7210-DB83-4113-962C-B10CB793FECA

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
NOTE - I L;OVE the spokes and the look of the wheels -- including the anodized (as opposed to painted) coating. I couldn't imagine changing them out when i first saw them. I also appreciate the lightweight wheels for sport. Trouble is... as a daily, it might need a diff set of wheels -- given how common potholes and road crap are around here.

I also def need some winter tires, so if i have enough money in late summer, i may get a tire/wheel combo for the car. I also may live with the wheels and just get some higher sidewalls as some of you have... I'll share whatever i end up doing.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Oh wow Fl5#727 that sucks - glad they are replacing.

LOL, I'm pretty sure if you look at the pic of the clean wheel I posted you can see the tiny white spot on the barrel where paint was missing.

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
Just a heads up, I'm sure you guys already know; the BBS CIR are damn near dead ringers for the stock wheels and they are forged. I also believe they come in both the stock size and the 18inch for extra tire meat. I know they are relatively pricey, but so would be replacing a stock wheel/set.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
The Fk8 wheels needed a certain mounting machine to prevent damage, is it the same case for these?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The Fk8 wheels needed a certain mounting machine to prevent damage, is it the same case for these?
No, you just need to handle them with care. My wheels were removed (and reinstalled) for ceramic coating with no chipping or blemishes.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
No, you just need to handle them with care. My wheels were removed (and reinstalled) for ceramic coating with no chipping or blemishes.
Ah sorry I meant when mounting new tires to the wheel. Years ago people were saying to only get new tires mounted on the 20" wheels at Honda dealerships

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Ah sorry I meant when mounting new tires to the wheel. Years ago people were saying to only get new tires mounted on the 20" wheels at Honda dealerships
No worries. I cannot speak to that.
Sponsored