• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Reason you went from 10 gen Si to 11 gen Si?

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si -> 2022 BRZ
I was looking at the allocations for the 11 gen SI and saw a bunch of 10th gen SI owners.
What is your reason to upgrade? Even though the 11 gen may be losing:
-Adaptive dampers
-Heated seats
-Fog lights
-aggressive looks

But gaining:
-twin scroll turbo
-rev match
-more "luxury" looks.

(Just curious)
Sponsored

turbomike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Honda Canda - West, the track, not in your DMs
Vehicle(s)
23 FL5 CTR, 22 MDX-S, 20 FK8 CTR
As a former 10th Gen Si owner, I didn't switch to the 11th gen. I'm a big performance slxxt and I was never sold on the new gen Si. Went to Honda for a demo day and wasn't too impress

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Tuned 10th gen non-Si owner here but I think there probably are a ton of reasons why folks choose to upgrade to the 11th or to stick with the 10th.

Why people switch to the 11th
Need to have the newest toy
Prefer the more mature, cleaner look
Like the driveability tweaks (like rev matching)
Prefer the classier interior
All of the above

Why people are sticking with the 10th
They don't buy first year models
Turned off by the price increase and ADM
PO'ed that Honda removed some features (US)
Disappointed there wasn't a decent power bump
Don't like the more sedate styling

I was considering an 11th Si as my next car but I'm on the fence due to not loving the tamer styling (it's growing on me, though) and American Honda's decision to remove features. In Canada, it's a much easier decision.

Last edited:

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Hardly anyone has an 11th gen Si yet, so even fewer are going to be 10th gen Si to 11th-gen Si owners. You may need to wait a couple years for good answers on this one, lol.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
As a 10th gen owner in Canada I’m definitely interested in the 11th gen. If it weren’t for the Integra coming I’d buy 11th gen because:
  • New features: heated wheel, auto dim mirror, parking sensors, etc
  • Upgraded interior design
  • Cleaner exterior design
  • Upgraded infotainment (/w Bose)
  • Improved shifter

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Hardly anyone has an 11th gen Si yet, so even fewer are going to be 10th gen Si to 11th-gen Si owners. You may need to wait a couple years for good answers on this one, lol.
This and i dont' know many that have a 10th that have been wow'd by the 11th. I think the only people that are going to end up in this category are those who have to have the newest models, or those who got rid of a 10th for something else and decided they dont' want that something else and want back in a civic.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, keep in mind that 10th gen owners are going to have a tendency to underestimate the improvements in the 11th gen, and 11th gen owners are going to have a tendency to overestimate them. So unless someone has actually driven both cars, take their input with that in mind. Just human nature. :)

The closest we've got right now to a back to back comparison is the SavageGeese test of the 11th gen Si, but he doesn't go into as much detail as you would want. I'm hoping he is going to put out a longer "official" review of the 11th gen Si eventually, so keep an eye out for that.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally get the appeal of the Integra. It's going to have the hatch as well as a lot more luxury than the Si, which is nice but pretty spartan.

But I think people are also imagining an Integra that is basically an Si hatch with leather seats. It may be that, but also expect it to cost at least $3000 more and probably will weigh a couple hundred pounds more as well.

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a former 10th Gen Si owner, I didn't switch to the 11th gen. I'm a big performance slxxt and I was never sold on the new gen Si. Went to Honda for a demo day and wasn't too impress
Thank you for the input!
Tuned 10th gen non-Si owner here but I think there probably are a ton of reasons why folks choose to upgrade to the 11th or to stick with the 10th.

Why people switch to the 11th
Need to have the newest toy
Prefer the more mature, cleaner look
Like the driveability tweaks (like rev matching)
Prefer the classier interior
All of the above

Why people are sticking with the 10th
They don't buy first year models
Turned off by the price increase and ADM
PO'ed that Honda removed some features (US)
Disappointed there wasn't a decent power bump
Don't like the more sedate styling

I was considering an 11th Si as my next car but I'm on the fence due to not loving the tamer styling (it's growing on me, though) and American Honda's decision to remove features. In Canada, it's a much easier decision.
Great insight Gtman, I'm happy to see you're continuing your tradition of the relablility post here! On the flip side you should join me to the dark side (BRZ/ 86) we have RWD .
I agree with you! I saw like 5-6 people in the allocations post that are switching from the 10th gen to 11. I will have to wait to see what they say!

Thank you for all the post everyone

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Great insight Gtman, I'm happy to see you're continuing your tradition of the relablility post here!
Appreciate it man. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the tuning thread off the ground here. Maybe in time people will see the value in it.

jkrohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
I was looking at the allocations for the 11 gen SI and saw a bunch of 10th gen SI owners.
What is your reason to upgrade? Even though the 11 gen may be losing:
-Adaptive dampers
-Heated seats
-Fog lights
-aggressive looks

But gaining:
-twin scroll turbo
-rev match
-more "luxury" looks.

(Just curious)
Traded in my 2018 SI for a 2022 SI.

My thoughts on losing:
-Adaptive dampers: Was never really a concern of mine. I was in sport mode most of the time anyway, so it really isn't much of a change. I guess if you like the cushy cruise of what was "normal" this could be a bummer.

-Heated seats: Bummer to lose them but not a huge deal if traded for other upgrades

-Fog lights: Honestly, just aesthetics to me. Take it or leave it.

-aggressive looks: Pros and cons to either a more aggressive look or a more mature look. I prefer the looks on the 10th gen, but I don't really care about it that much. The sight lines are better in the 11th gen with the less aggressive stylings

All of these really got counteracted by what I gained.
- I was able to trade my 10th gen in for just over what I *paid* for it, despite it having 40k miles on it.
- I greatly prefer the new interior
- The new infotainment and wireless android auto are awesome upgrades
- Getting all the Honda Sensing (mainly adaptive cruise control and lane keep for long drives, commutes in traffic) is a huge plus for me
- The sound system is significantly better
- Thank god for the return of actual buttons volume/heating/cooling control
- Getting rev matching

To me the power and torque curves are really a wash. Currently I only have a KTuner 19/21 map on the 11th gen (had a vit tune on the 10th) while I wait for TSP/Phearable. 10th gen had an initial harder feel, but it tapered. 11th gen doesn't have as hard of an initial pull, but it continues to just ramp and ramp through the rev range. Both feel good.

I was able to find it at MSRP, so effectively for me it came down to would I trade heated seats and fog lights for Honda Sensing, much better sound, a preferable interior and controls, and better infotainment/Wireless AA and 40k less miles on my car for a few thousand dollars? It was an easy decision.

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate it man. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the tuning thread off the ground here. Maybe in time people will see the value in it.
I wouldn't worry too much! You're a bit early to the party, they'll come eventually.

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
The main reason I switched was because my 10th gen got totaled in a flood… :( I had put a deposit on an 11th gen just so I could test drive the only one that was coming to my island in Oahu. And then it worked out and now I have an 11th gen Si. I was admittedly skeptical, especially losing some creature comforts that I loved like heated seats and the blind spot camera (aka gap cam ??), but I think it turned out good for me. Love this car so far for the 3 weeks I’ve had it. If I had one complaint about the car that I haven’t gotten over yet is the seating position. It is noticeably higher than I’d like, even at the lowest setting. Pretty sure I’m the only one in my state that has one too.
11th Gen Honda Civic Reason you went from 10 gen Si to 11 gen Si? EEF1BA0A-4320-4501-B94D-1C2D4FAC1BFD

Attachments

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
From what I'm seeing, 11th Si is noticeably better then 10th in all aspect, except for 5hp which is akin to getting rid of the deadweight. Unlike 10th, I have no reason to bash 11th when comparing it to my base Civic LX 6MT. It doesn't pretend.
Sponsored