• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Red Carpet Care - Mats & Floor

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Hey all; looking for suggestions for protecting the obviously red and beautiful carpet in the upcoming FL5. I've read some bad things about scotch guard. Anyone have ideas on how to keep that red from getting to a muddy brown? I kinda want this to be my DD but those carpets are probably going to look like crap after a few years of dirt and wear.
Sponsored

Vtextc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Weather Tech or Tux Mats will be your best bet for ultimate protection as they have higher side walls to cover the upholstered sides of the transmission tunnel and door sills. You won't incur any damage to the red carpets and they won't need anything more than good vacuuming every so often. We live in a climate where there is salt, slush and mud for 7 months of the year, and even my cars with beige coloured carpets still look like new. Not a big deal.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
The other thing is treatment after you've gotten them dirty. Any number of chemical carpet cleaners and a drill brush, followed by an extractor (and a pressure washer for the mats if you're using those) would do you just fine. I have a 20-year old highlander and I washed the original carpets. They looked pretty much new after a clean/wash

OP
OP
psyborg

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
I'll definitely look at something for weather mats in the winter, but I'm more concerned about the other months. I love the red and don't want to cover it up all the time. Things like fabric protection (3m spray) or carpet shampoo that will help the red stay around the same hue.
Unfortunately it'll be very apparent when parts of the seats don't match the carpet anymore, but thats just what you get with a highly saturated color.
To be fair I've never owned something with this kind of color so I've no idea how it ages.

Vtextc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
I'll definitely look at something for weather mats in the winter, but I'm more concerned about the other months. I love the red and don't want to cover it up all the time. Things like fabric protection (3m spray) or carpet shampoo that will help the red stay around the same hue.
Unfortunately it'll be very apparent when parts of the seats don't match the carpet anymore, but thats just what you get with a highly saturated color.
To be fair I've never owned something with this kind of color so I've no idea how it ages.
Just noticed you're from Alberta too! Awesome!! Got your name down at a few dealers?

OP
OP
psyborg

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Yup! I've got a first spot and a 5th at another, just in case ;). Hopefully we get these before winter.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
This looks great, but kinda defeats the purpose of having a Type R.
Because I covered up some red? There will be plenty more of it and my car will be easier to clean.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not sure how well these would work, but my plan is to give the Bissell portable carpet cleaner and Carpro CQuartz Fabric Coating a try. If it becomes a disaster, hopefully I can pick up some replacements from Honda and keep a spare set in the closet.

OP
OP
psyborg

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Not sure how well these would work, but my plan is to give the Bissell portable carpet cleaner and Carpro CQuartz Fabric Coating a try. If it becomes a disaster, hopefully I can pick up some replacements from Honda and keep a spare set in the closet.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try this stuff. Have you used it before?

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
What is the point of this post? Do you really need directions from someone on how to take care of carpet?
We have now entered the low key, “I’m first in line at a dealer and need everyone to know it” thread.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
Hey all; looking for suggestions for protecting the obviously red and beautiful carpet in the upcoming FL5. I've read some bad things about scotch guard. Anyone have ideas on how to keep that red from getting to a muddy brown? I kinda want this to be my DD but those carpets are probably going to look like crap after a few years of dirt and wear.
things like scotchgard might be a good way to help protect the carpet. i'm definitely going to be covering as much red as i can because my wife hates it, ha! i know it's a classic honda thing so i'm okay with it but it's a lot of red even for me.

i think avoidance would be the best thing and identify high risk areas early and consider putting down some mats/plastic/sprays in those areas to keep them looking nice. i'm hoping there will be some quality options for inserts to cover/protect.
Sponsored