• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Resting hand on gear shift

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I never knew it was a thing, but after seeing this in a car owners manual, i gather there is a debate about whether it's a problem to rest a hand on the gear shift, when either driving or stopped. I did a search to see if there was a discussion about it on this forum, and it didn't display any results. Opinions? Facts? Should i get my popcorn?
Sponsored

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I think that really only matters on cars where the shifter is directly connected to the gear box. The Type R uses cables, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
It depends on if the car is in gear or not.

When the car is in neutral and the lever is vertical, then you can rest your hand on it. The force of your hand is going straight down into the shifter mechanism.

When the car is in gear, the lever is at an angle, so when you rest your hand on it, some component of your hand's weight is going forward in the direction of the gear and some component is going along the axis of the lever into the mechanism. We're worried only about the component that's pushing into the gear.

What happens during a shift is the shift fork, which is stationary and connected to the shifter, is pushing against a spinning collar to engage the gears. Once the shift is done the pressure is relaxed and the shift fork sits next to the collar without rubbing. If you push the shifter harder into gear and it's already in gear, you're pushing the fork against the moving collar and wearing both parts. Resting your hand on the shifter is like a very mild version of that, where over many years and thousands of miles, you're adding wear when you didn't need to.

There are many videos and opinions on the internet that say it's not an issue, and for most people it's not an issue because they don't actually put enough force on the shifter. But if you have mechanical sympathy, then just be aware it's possible.

Last edited:

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
It's a general truth that's been morphed into almost a wife's tale.

The real danger is applying pressure and people who use the gear shift as a handle. Basically stopping it from naturally flexing. Resting your hand on the shifter without putting too much weight on it is fine.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
For safety sake, I like having hand on wheel unless it is in the process of changing gears.

OP
OP

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I think that really only matters on cars where the shifter is directly connected to the gear box. The Type R uses cables, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.
That seems to be the concensus, but i wanted to hear from you experts here.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
My hand is glued to it unless im in 5th or 6th cruising on the highway. Same w my clutch foot, almost always hovering. Part of it is habit and enthusiasm and the other part is always being aggressively defensive waiting to adjust to the next other driver mistake.No issues w my (now my brothers) old FG2 and that has 150k on it.

OP
OP

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
My hand is glued to it unless im in 5th or 6th cruising on the highway. Same w my clutch foot, almost always hovering. Part of it is habit and enthusiasm and the other part is always being aggressively defensive waiting to adjust to the next other driver mistake.No issues w my (now my brothers) old FG2 and that has 150k on it.
Yah, when in a dense metro area, i'm constantly ready to shift as the traffic is typically erratic (no time for hard leaning). And then there's all the stop-and-go (both on highways and on local roads). For those who get to only take these cars out for fun weekend drives, this may not be as much of an issue for you... but for those of us who use the CTR as daily drivers, it becomes an instinct to hover, or rest as we sit and idle.

I've had 6 other MTs before the CTR, and had not heard about this until recently. I took time to research it and found that there wasn't a definitive answer. So, i thank everyone here who shares their expertise!

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
https://www.carthrottle.com/news/why-you-shouldnt-rest-your-hand-gearstick-when-driving

https://carfromjapan.com/article/driving-tips/dont-rest-your-hand-on-the-gearstick-heres-why/
https://raceseng.com/blogs/journal/is-it-bad-to-rest-your-hand-on-the-shifter-no-it-isnt

Well-taken points from both sides of the debate. Common sense: From a mechanical point a consistent heavy-hand over time may (emphasis on "may") accelerate linkage wear. From a safety consideration not having two hands on the steering wheel could delay emergency maneuvers. Personally, I have occasionally (while in N) over 40 years of driving rested my hand on the gear shift while in neutral and moved it away while driving , and had zero problems. As 1971Carmaro says above, there does not appear to be a clearcut position.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
As an automotive mechanic and electrician of 15 or so years my opinion is that resting your hands on the gear lever is not good for the gearbox - I however have no evidence to back this claim as I believe the effects are ultimately marginal.

There are some good write ups online/youtube videos explaining what happens so I won't go into detail. But essentially by resting your hand on the lever you are applying some level of torque and movement to the shift sleeve which will misalign the sleeve from the shift hub while you are driving along. By doing this you are subjecting the hub/sleeve and syncronisers to abnormal angles potentially causing accelerated wear.

I'm certain there exists a population of people who have always rested their hand on the lever and never had any issues with their transmission. I however prefer to eer on the side of caution and practice better driving habits.
Once I've completed the shift, my hands are back on the steering wheel. If I'm anticipating the next shift, I just hover my hand over the lever rather than resting on it.

Video example:

I liken the concept similar to resting your foot on the clutch pedal vs moving the foot away and onto the dead pedal. Resting your foot on the clutch pedal is applying some level of extra load on the diaphragm springs and thrust bearing, and thus reduce the clamping force of the clutch potentially causing accelerated wear. Will it cause big trouble down the line? Most likely not. Is it better to just avoid the whole situation all together? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I rest my hand on it hoping to find 7th gear.