• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

"The Search".. not what i expected.

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
i reside in sunny southern california and i've been looking for a FL5 civic type R in state for 1 full month now. what i mean by looking for is calling at least a few dealership everyday, speaking with sales reps, sales managers, I've been trying really hard to get an MSRP deal. i'm in no means rich and the FL5 is more expensive than the FK8 was and I don't want to pay over MSRP. i just realized i kind of sound like i'm whinning but that's not what i'm doing here. I haven't gotten close to an MSRP deal from any dealership yet, and i want to make a good choice. one that my dad and my son would be proud that i made.

i understand the car is special, i owned an FK8. but i want to pay what the maker said it's worth. i've been trying my best not to buy a car out of state, does anyone, ANYONE... have any suggestions, or ideas, any dealerships, any people you know, any honest sales guys you encountered, anything to help me along the search would be more than appreciated. Thank you in advance for anyone who jumps on this thread to "help me.... i'm poor" ... haHa
Sponsored

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
you're not gonna find msrp on the west coast. i'm on the west coast and i called probably 50 dealerships in the past few months.

i ended up buying a fl5 at msrp from ohio. open transport shipping is around $1,500.

i have a lead on two more coming into that same dealership. if you're ready to buy let me know and i can send you the salesperson's details. she is absolutely amazing to work with.

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
Be persistent. Every MSRP deal I have been offered so far was a dealer who started at 5-10k ADM but then called me at the end of the month trying to make a deal and hit their numbers.

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
All the dealers out here are snakes, I eventually gave up and paid $5k over from Car Pros Honda in El Monte. That was the best deal I could find as of December ā€˜23. Unless you somehow get very lucky, youā€™ll probably have to look out of state for an MSRP deal. But then youā€™ll have to factor in shipping or travel to get the car. Maybe wait a while longer for prices to drop, but being in SoCal(or Cali in general) makes this a longshot, at least for the time being.

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
you're not gonna find msrp on the west coast. i'm on the west coast and i called probably 50 dealerships in the past few months.

i ended up buying a fl5 at msrp from ohio. open transport shipping is around $1,500.

i have a lead on two more coming into that same dealership. if you're ready to buy let me know and i can send you the salesperson's details. she is absolutely amazing to work with.
i haven't gave up on this shit hole i call a home state of California just yet.
but i might in the very near future and if that's the case, her information would be very helpful.
thank you for your words of advice.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
i reside in sunny southern california and i've been looking for a FL5 civic type R in state for 1 full month now. what i mean by looking for is calling at least a few dealership everyday, speaking with sales reps, sales managers, I've been trying really hard to get an MSRP deal. i'm in no means rich and the FL5 is more expensive than the FK8 was and I don't want to pay over MSRP. i just realized i kind of sound like i'm whinning but that's not what i'm doing here. I haven't gotten close to an MSRP deal from any dealership yet, and i want to make a good choice. one that my dad and my son would be proud that i made.

i understand the car is special, i owned an FK8. but i want to pay what the maker said it's worth. i've been trying my best not to buy a car out of state, does anyone, ANYONE... have any suggestions, or ideas, any dealerships, any people you know, any honest sales guys you encountered, anything to help me along the search would be more than appreciated. Thank you in advance for anyone who jumps on this thread to "help me.... i'm poor" ... haHa
Just out of curiosity what was the least amount over MSRP were you quoted on the left coast?

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Be persistent. Every MSRP deal I have been offered so far was a dealer who started at 5-10k ADM but then called me at the end of the month trying to make a deal and hit their numbers.
this is what i'm hoping for. March is the end of the 1st quarter and we're coming towards the end of the month. i'm hoping everything aligns and i'm able to secure this mythical beast, MSRP. thanks for your words of encouragement!

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
All the dealers out here are snakes, I eventually gave up and paid $5k over from Car Pros Honda in El Monte. That was the best deal I could find as of December ā€˜23. Unless you somehow get very lucky, youā€™ll probably have to look out of state for an MSRP deal. But then youā€™ll have to factor in shipping or travel to get the car. Maybe wait a while longer for prices to drop, but being in SoCal(or Cali in general) makes this a longshot, at least for the time being.
i am willing to wait, so i might just do that. congrats on your type R. i bet you love it. i can't wait to be where you're at. reseda and woodland hills have their type R's for 5k over right now, or at least that's what they told me. thanks for your advice!

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Just out of curiosity what was the least amount over MSRP were you quoted on the left coast?
well over the phone i got 3k over. some sales man have said to come and and we could negotiate further but i've been told that once you go in, they hit you with accessories and other things you don't want on the car. i did visit hardin honda in anaheim, they just got a CW a couple days ago. they were at 10k and wouldn't budge. they wanted me to come up to meet them but i declined. so yeah, 3k over the phone, and possibly a little more in person.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Go in and negotiate. Everyone negotiates differently. It isnā€™t always the same outcome. If youā€™re stuck with getting some accessories, try to get ones you want or can resell.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
As others have said, MSRP in CA is going to be very tough. Many owners in CA bought their FL5s out of state.

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
well over the phone i got 3k over. some sales man have said to come and and we could negotiate further but i've been told that once you go in, they hit you with accessories and other things you don't want on the car. i did visit hardin honda in anaheim, they just got a CW a couple days ago. they were at 10k and wouldn't budge. they wanted me to come up to meet them but i declined. so yeah, 3k over the phone, and possibly a little more in person.

At the dealer I bought the car from, we talked numbers and agreed on the price, and then when I was in Finance I found that the payment I was quoted already included their Zurich extended warranty bullshit. They didnā€™t try to sell me on it and then add it after the fact, they had it added it in right from the start! I told the attractive, large-breasted woman in finance(šŸ¤”) emphatically that I was not interested and to remove it or Iā€™d walk. Twice the slimy finance manager came in and played some stupid word games and drew some numbers tables for me(šŸ˜‚) but in the end I got it fully removed from the deal and my payment dropped by $50/month! Snakes.

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Go in and negotiate. Everyone negotiates differently. It isnā€™t always the same outcome. If youā€™re stuck with getting some accessories, try to get ones you want or can resell.
that's a good point, but i'm not rather 100% confident in my negotiation skills, haha! but you're right tho, thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
At the dealer I bought the car from, we talked numbers and agreed on the price, and then when I was in Finance I found that the payment I was quoted already included their Zurich extended warranty bullshit. They didnā€™t try to sell me on it and then add it after the fact, they had it added it in right from the start! I told the attractive, large-breasted woman in finance(šŸ¤”) emphatically that I was not interested and to remove it or Iā€™d walk. Twice the slimy finance manager came in and played some stupid word games and drew some numbers tables for me(šŸ˜‚) but in the end I got it fully removed from the deal and my payment dropped by $50/month! Snakes.
that is insane. i'll keep an eye out for things all the way till the end. haha. thanks for the heads up and the hilarious descriptions in your story. haha

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Civic Type R
that's a good point, but i'm not rather 100% confident in my negotiation skills, haha! but you're right tho, thanks for the advice!
If you decide to go into a dealer, go in the last week of the month. Might get lucky and have a desperate/motivated Salesperson looking to meet a "monthly quota" making the negotiations a bit easier.
Sponsored