• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Transmission Fluid Change - Amsoil Synchromesh Fluid

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Yep the Torsen LSD in the Civic doesn’t use slipping plates like a clutch type LSD (or a clutch) so that warning wouldn’t apply. It’s all just gears in there.
Sponsored

Cbau

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Are there any service manuals that show how to change the trans fluid? And is there a filter that needs to be changed as well?

kanav

First Name
Kanav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si Black
Just went from oem fluid to amsoil at 17000km, shifts much better in cold weather/cold start, it's close to freezing at night where I am these days and it feels like butter

OP
OP
zeroptzero

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Are there any service manuals that show how to change the trans fluid? And is there a filter that needs to be changed as well?
I think I seen a video on youtube, it is pretty self-explanatory once you see the fill and drain plugs. I removed the fill plug easily from above with a long extension and impact wrench.

OP
OP
zeroptzero

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Just went from oem fluid to amsoil at 17000km, shifts much better in cold weather/cold start, it's close to freezing at night where I am these days and it feels like butter
That's exactly what I have found, it is odd as the Amsoil is a thicker fluid but it works better in cold temps than OEM Honda fluid. I've used it on other Hondas and always found it to work better in cold temps.

si2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I have had good success with Amsoil synchromesh in the past with my 8th gen Si. It smoothed out everything like butter and got rid of my 3rd gear issues common to that model.

Now I would like to replace the MTF in my new '22 Si with Amsoil as well to get rid of the 2nd gear hard shifting and other notchiness. I was just wondering if there is any break-in period that I have to leave the original Honda MTF in the transmission for. I know for engines you are not supposed to change the original break-in oil too early. Is there something parallel with manual transmissions?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I have had good success with Amsoil synchromesh in the past with my 8th gen Si. It smoothed out everything like butter and got rid of my 3rd gear issues common to that model.
This was my exact experience with Amsoil in my ‘09 Si too. It was so much better than the Honda MTF, like night and day better. The Honda MTF was OK but always felt notchy at best. It shifted so smoothly with Amsoil that I would sometimes lazy shift (because shifting was so natural and effortless) and I’d grind. This was 100% my fault…but I blame Amsoil for being so good. Jkjk 😄
Sponsored