• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Transmission worries.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
All of this can be alleviated by showing some mechanical empathy when shifting. There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to make 450 or even 500hp with the stock gearbox.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
This isn't a trend for the K20C drivetrain at these power levels.

This can be summarized as either the car was abused or you had very bad luck.

Last edited:

Xian

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance, Lotus Elise
What causes a cracked case?
It’s been years but, IIRC, some of the early/mid 90’s Mazda stuff suffered from “tranny spread” issues at high HP/TQ. Essentially, with enough power, the angled teeth on the gears can transmit enough lateral torque across the gear stack. This results in the tranny “spreading” and lower tooth engagement at the gear… in an extreme case, you can crack the transmission housing/case.

I’ve got no clue if that’s what happened with the OP or if that’s a documented failure point in these transmissions.

My $0.02 is to have a little mechanical sympathy… give the syncros time to do their job and don’t rush your shifts. Your tranny will thank you.

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Civic Type R
Been using manual transmissions most of my life including racing a Camaro. Never had an issue with trannies ever with Ford, Chevies or Toyotas. After 88,000 km (55,000 miles) my 2020 Type R’s 2nd gear fails. Still under drivetrain warranty. Honda would not cover repair under warranty because of after market nods. HV intake, Intercooler and theft prevention system —??? After $6000 repair and 4 months waiting for parts (included more than just second gear failure). There were other factory warranty issues previously- fuel pumps and air conditioner condenser. They never resolved the Apple CarPlay issue. The Honda reliability is non existent and will never buy again. Lexus is now in my stable.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Canuck Not that you’re unwelcome…but why are you here? Maybe I’m making the wrong assumption, but it sounds like you offloaded your CTR (and maybe other cars) for Lexus?

Something seems odd about this story too. Drivetrain is under warranty but Honda refused due to mods? Mods are not proof you destroyed your trans. Did they find something else that you’re not divulging?

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Civic Type R
@Canuck Not that you’re unwelcome…but why are you here? Maybe I’m making the wrong assumption, but it sounds like you offloaded your CTR (and maybe other cars) for Lexus?

Something seems odd about this story too. Drivetrain is under warranty but Honda refused due to mods? Mods are not proof you destroyed your trans. Did they find something else that you’re not divulging?

I’ve been a member since purchasing the Type R May 2020. Passing on my experience with the car as this website is used for. Contacted Honda HO and they refused to cover under warranty. I could have taken this to small claims court but the transmission was removed from the car and in pieces. It was at the dealer for 4 months and taking up a bay. The experience was one I wanted to end and it cost me $$. The car was not abused in anyway, it was a second car and never driven in winter. I tracked the car maybe 6 times and maintained it religiously, it was my pride and joy. Had to let everyone know what happened to me, Honda lost a customer, that’s all.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Canuck Appreciate the context. It’s the internet. The skeptic in me is always watchin’ for misleading/incomplete info. Nothing against you personally.🙂
11th Gen Honda Civic Transmission worries. 1710201395958
Sponsored