• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Transmission worries.

Lukeklaas

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Hi I have a fk8 and after mild grinding 2nd gear ( even with taking 1-2 slow and yes, with my clutch pedal all the way down) at about 40,000 miles my transition exploded and the case broke and everything. It was pretty traumatizing and definitely took my lovr away from that car. It was also heavily modified and pushing over 400 whp which might have to do with it but I didnā€™t even break it on a hard pull. Either way Iā€™m looking to get a new car and the second gear grind is scaring the hell out of me and I want a stock reliable car. Please tel me if the transmission should stop me from buying this car. I love everything else about it but if that transmission starts grinding again I might have a heart attack lol
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hi I have a fk8 and after mild grinding 2nd gear ( even with taking 1-2 slow and yes, with my clutch pedal all the way down) at about 40,000 miles my transition exploded and the case broke and everything. It was pretty traumatizing and definitely took my lovr away from that car. It was also heavily modified and pushing over 400 whp which might have to do with it but I didnā€™t even break it on a hard pull. Either way Iā€™m looking to get a new car and the second gear grind is scaring the hell out of me and I want a stock reliable car. Please tel me if the transmission should stop me from buying this car. I love everything else about it but if that transmission starts grinding again I might have a heart attack lol
For the FL5 second does not like to be hurried but no transmission grinds as of yet.

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
OP how often did you change the transmission fluid?

From my experience doing track days, change the transmission fluid, change it often. And the trans will be happy.

I have like 12 quarts of the OEM honda trans fluid and will be changing pretty regularly.

OP
OP

Lukeklaas

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
OP how often did you change the transmission fluid?

From my experience doing track days, change the transmission fluid, change it often. And the trans will be happy.

I have like 12 quarts of the OEM honda trans fluid and will be changing pretty regularly.
I changed the transmission oil to ac delcro after I started noticing the grinds, so I changed it couple times during the 40,000 miles.

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
likely already on the way out when u changed the fluid then. thats just ho the cookie crumbles at times my man

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Anytime you modify, especially when you're gaining more power, then it will most likely put more strain on the stock components and parts. When I used to modify my cars in the past, I went through a similar experience with my transmission going out over time.

HONDANB

First Name
JOHN DOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NEEDED
FL5 trans is "improved" according to Honda but it's still a FWD trans. Be gentle. They don't like the 1-2 and 3-4 power shifts. No matter what anyone says

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
FL5 trans is "improved" according to Honda but it's still a FWD trans. Be gentle. They don't like the 1-2 and 3-4 power shifts. No matter what anyone says
I've never seen or heard of 3-4 issues on K20C. Agreed re: 1-2 you should definitely be gentle.

Honestly, I am not sure why you wouldn't be gentle 1-2 w. this car... if you want to launch, don't buy a FWD, lol.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've noticed that many people will increase performance, and not increase their maintenance at the same time. The higher the power output, the more preventative maintenance will be needed on a more frequent interval. Not saying that your situation could have been avoided, but it seems like it would make more sense to get a replacement transmission for your fk8.

HONDANB

First Name
JOHN DOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NEEDED
I've never seen or heard of 3-4 issues on K20C.
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I have, from drag racers. Track is easier on the trans than drag.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I have, from drag racers. Track is easier on the trans than drag.
Right!

...which is exactly why I said: "I have never seen [or heard of] of 3-4 issues on K20C."

I didn't say: "There's never been a K20C transmission w. a 3-4 issue."

šŸ˜†

Jokes aside: I do know 4th gear is relatively weak, and HRC offers a hardened option even for track applications.

To OP: This transmission, in its stock application when used as Honda intended, is pretty much worry-free. There are 1-2 grind reports, but not on the scale we saw w. FK8. And, these are often accompanied by reports of aggressive 1-2 shifting. This is not an 8th-gen-esque transmission.

That said, if you start adding lots of power or using the car in ways it was not engineered to be used in its stock form (i.e. drag racing, clutch dumps), expect you may run into issues and need to upgrade weak points.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Right!

...which is exactly why I said: "I have never seen [or heard of] of 3-4 issues on K20C."

I didn't say: "There's never been a K20C transmission w. a 3-4 issue."

šŸ˜†

Jokes aside: I do know 4th gear is relatively weak, and HRC offers a hardened option even for track applications.

To OP: This transmission, in its stock application when used as Honda intended, is pretty much worry-free. There are 1-2 grind reports, but not on the scale we saw w. FK8. And, these are often accompanied by reports of aggressive 1-2 shifting. This is not an 8th-gen-esque transmission.

That said, if you start adding lots of power or using the car in ways it was not engineered to be used in its stock form (i.e. drag racing, clutch dumps), expect you may run into issues and need to upgrade weak points.
Even with conservative added power there should be no issues. Most of this stuff is people being very aggressive on the car or you are pushing north of 600whp lol.