• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Manual Transmission Fluid Exchange

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
My FL5 has less than 1k miles but reverse is difficult to get into. Much different that other manual trans cars I've driven from Honda. Maybe I'll try a new fluid.

It's uncomfortable the pressure I need to use to engage reverse.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My FL5 has less than 1k miles but reverse is difficult to get into. Much different that other manual trans cars I've driven from Honda. Maybe I'll try a new fluid.

The trans loosens up with more mileage. I'm just under 4,000 miles.

nix6speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 ITS

In the ITS Owner group someone had their trans replaced because reverse gear went out at low mileage. If it gets worse may be worth a dealer visit.

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions I'll check into dealer if its still an issue at first oil change!

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Shifts fine....Hondas shifters are nochey, its not a slap shifter....track or no track....I'm just under 2800 hundred miles had it a year as of dec 14 2023.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yep! Exactly as @CaryH said. Some notchiness is to be expected especially with a brand new trans. If itā€™s cold, the notchiness can be worse. Itā€™s normal to encounter this when the car has sat for hours too.

@svvitch Donā€™t muscle it into gear. Usually itā€™s just the gears are a little out of sync. All you need to do is row it into another gear then put it in the gear youā€™re trying to use. If this happens frequently, even AFTER driving for awhile and the trans is warmed upā€¦then yeah, THAT may be a problem worth looking into.

@PointByPatrol ā€˜s issue with being locked out of 5th gear on track (with the trans warmed up) is the unusual thing here. Heā€™s been tracking frequently, so it could be that the trans oil is getting toward the end of its usable life. Honda trans oil is not super great to begin with, in my experience. I know AC Delco Sycromesh is excellent. Iā€™ve had GREAT success with Amsoil. LOVE that stuff. Hope it all works out for you!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yep! Exactly as @CaryH said. Some notchiness is to be expected especially with a brand new trans. If itā€™s cold, the notchiness can be worse. Itā€™s normal to encounter this when the car has sat for hours too.

@svvitch Donā€™t muscle it into gear. Usually itā€™s just the gears are a little out of sync. All you need to do is row it into another gear then put it in the gear youā€™re trying to use. If this happens frequently, even AFTER driving for awhile and the trans is warmed upā€¦then yeah, THAT may be a problem worth looking into.

@PointByPatrol ā€˜s issue with being locked out of 5th gear on track (with the trans warmed up) is the unusual thing here. Heā€™s been tracking frequently, so it could be that the trans oil is getting toward the end of its usable life. Honda trans oil is not super great to begin with, in my experience. I know AC Delco Sycromesh is excellent. Iā€™ve had GREAT success with Amsoil. LOVE that stuff. Hope it all works out for you!
Got AcDelco in it now ;)

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Like TypeRD stated, shift into another gear like first or third and then it goes into reverse like butta.

itā€™s a common trick. I do the same with my Corvette. Not unique to the Type R

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've tried the 1st gear then reverse or clutch in out and in again then reverse. Hot or cold. I may have the dealer check it out. This is my at least 10th Honda manual trans just bizarre to me. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Maybe it just needs some time or new fluid :)

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@svvitch Yeah, Iā€™ve had my car since mid Feb and Iā€™ve not experienced any problems with the trans. As you are very familiar with Honda manual trans, it sounds like you have a good feel for whatā€™s an ā€œuncomfortable amount of pressureā€ to get it in gear. My gut tells me it simply needs more mileage, especially if itā€™s not happening every single time you put it in reverse. Either way, if something isnā€™t working correctly, you have warranty. šŸ™‚

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Any issues after changing the fluid? How has it been holding up?
Sponsored