• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Manual Transmission Fluid Exchange

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Any issues after changing the fluid? How has it been holding up?
No issues at all. I know some folks will say that they feel a big difference, but I don't. I used the AC Delco fluid in both my FK8 and now the FL5. The AC Delco fluid is inexpensive, and doesn't cause any issues. I'll be exchanging it frequently based on the 2024 track schedule, and this makes for a great inexpensive option!
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
No issues at all. I know some folks will say that they feel a big difference, but I don't. I used the AC Delco fluid in both my FK8 and now the FL5. The AC Delco fluid is inexpensive, and doesn't cause any issues. I'll be exchanging it frequently based on the 2024 track schedule, and this makes for a great inexpensive option!
Just to clarify, the GM fluid didn't produce any appreciable difference in the smoothness when shifting through the gears. However, my 4th gear lockout did go away. It's held up for a few thousand miles so far, but I expect it to lose its effectiveness eventually. Will keep note of miles lasted and maybe try another oil to see how long that one lasts for comparison.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
You guys should give Amsoil a try and report back. In my old 8th gen Si it made a world of difference. Truly. I’m not one to exaggerate stuff like this. Once I switched to Amsoil I never experienced any notchiness of note. And it was just much smoother overall. On rare occasion it might not want to go smoothly into reverse after sitting in the cold garage (Wisconsin winters). Again, this was rare. I never experienced any lock-outs. I will say that I think the FL5’s shifter is smoother and more precise feeling than my 8th gen’s. So maybe Amsoil might not make as big of a difference in this case. I plan to switch, but it’s going to be a long while unless my shifter begins not feeling right.

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I used GM fluids in all my previous Honda transmissions. It felt about the same as stock fluid, but stopped gear grinding and pop outs in my Accord V6 6MT and 8th Gen Civic Si. I feel like it broke down more quickly as gears got crunchy, so I changed it every 15K miles before of street driving.

eric12345

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2021 RAV4 Prime, 1987 911
One observation: the “level hole” is intended to ensure proper level of fluid. However, it appears that only the front is jacked up, which means the car is not level, and could mean that there is too much fluid?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
One observation: the “level hole” is intended to ensure proper level of fluid. However, it appears that only the front is jacked up, which means the car is not level, and could mean that there is too much fluid?
Yep. I backed the rear of the car on to a slope so that it was level when lifted.

eric12345

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2021 RAV4 Prime, 1987 911
Yep. I backed the rear of the car on to a slope so that it was level when lifted.
Cool. I haven’t done a transmission fluid change in years, but I do remember painstakingly using a level. (Not that I’m certain it would make a lot of difference. - But as you explained, too much can lead to frothing).
Thanks for a great video!
Sponsored