• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R owner age?

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
Out of curiousity how old is the CTR owner. I'm in my mid 40's and sometimes feel a bit too old for the car.
Don't worry, I'll be 66 soon. It'll be alright. :headbang:
I was thinking about removing the rear wing and pretending that what I thought I bought was an Accord EX :what:
Sponsored

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy SMOKES! Right on brother! 65 here. You and I should be running wheelie bars! :bow:

I bought this thing sort of because I had a chance to buy a 5K mile 08 S2000 back in 08 for $27K and then decided on a Porsche Boxster S instead. I always regretted not getting the Honda, so I guess this is my S2000 but now with new and improved power and extra storage!

Last edited:

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R, 2002 S2000
I’m 35 (36 next month) and just bought a Type R. Love it and plan on keeping it a long time. Proud owner of a 2002 S2000 as well which is a forever car for me.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 22 about to turn 23. Thankfully I can afford this car because of my engineering degree and job but the dealer markups I'm hearing just makes me reconsider my options as I'm still in that student mindset of not spending money on unnecessary stuff, which ADM falls in the category of. I guess my age plays a role in here as well; it's my first time buying a new car and I want a fun+practical one but not too expensive (above 50k is expensive for me), hence the Type R ticks all my boxes but only at MSRP or maybe at most at 5k over.
I remember back to that age (and in engineering as well) what I did was made friends who were into sports/classic cars and it was easier to find great deals on used cars that I wanted. In my time it was old muscle cars, Mk2 Supras and Toyota 4x4s. I would find them in good shape for a good deal, detail and drive them for a while and them sell them for a pretty good profit. Pretty soon you can afford to buy higher end cars.

The worst investment you can make is buying a new car. Wait until you're 60 or something for that. If you don't like wrenching on cars, well, go buy that R, but refuse to pay a mark up, they are out there for MSRP... just got to be patient.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I remember back to that age (and in engineering as well) what I did was made friends who were into sports/classic cars and it was easier to find great deals on used cars that I wanted. In my time it was old muscle cars, Mk2 Supras and Toyota 4x4s. I would find them in good shape for a good deal, detail and drive them for a while and them sell them for a pretty good profit. Pretty soon you can afford to buy higher end cars.

The worst investment you can make is buying a new car. Wait until you're 60 or something for that. If you don't like wrenching on cars, well, go buy that R, but refuse to pay a mark up, they are out there for MSRP... just got to be patient.

Please take into consideration that, based on what we have seen of the FK8s, everyone expects the FL5 to hold its value much better than most cars. And, since we are talking tens of thousands if you buy a new car, then buying one that will likely not depreciate anywhere near as badly is actually a better investment -- even with some ADM. And, given how many of these cars are out there, and how few people want a manual trans... I think the market will soften more -- esp on 2023s.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V

Thanks for the advice. It's been a year and 1 month since I got my Type R. Paid 2k over which felt like a steal back then. It was difficult to come to terms with paying over sticker though. That's illegal back in India where I'm from. I have since forgotten about the 2k over as the car has been worth the struggle of finding incoming cars on the forum tracker and calling close to 300 dealerships over the course of 5 months. Even drove it from Maine to Arizona in 4 days flat and then on a road trip to California. One of the very few FL5s which has seen both the Atlantic and the Pacific (outside of shipping haha).

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice. It's been a year and 1 month since I got my Type R. Paid 2k over which felt like a steal back then. It was difficult to come to terms with paying over sticker though. That's illegal back in India where I'm from. I have since forgotten about the 2k over as the car has been worth the struggle of finding incoming cars on the forum tracker and calling close to 300 dealerships over the course of 5 months. Even drove it from Maine to Arizona in 4 days flat and then on a road trip to California. One of the very few FL5s which has seen both the Atlantic and the Pacific (outside of shipping haha).
Oh, well I guess I didn't read far enough ahead. Good for you that you found one and at a great price. I just got mine a few weeks back and the MSRP sticker was like $44,585 or something like that and with zero extras other than red floor mats.

It sounds like you're getting some good use out of yours already! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Oh, well I guess I didn't read far enough ahead. Good for you that you found one and at a great price. I just got mine a few weeks back and the MSRP sticker was like $44,585 or something like that and with zero extras other than red floor mats.

It sounds like you're getting some good use out of yours already! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
The red floor mats are standard.

civic2tegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Sport 6MT, 99' Civic hatch
I'm 36 just came out of the FK8 to the FL5. No such thing as too old to drive a Type R!

GIChoe

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Si
25 years old - bought a manual FR-S.
29 years old - bought a manual Mk7 GTI
36 years old - bought an FL5 Type R

With the way the market is going, I think this will be my last manual car before they become completely extinct.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
25 years old - bought a manual FR-S.
29 years old - bought a manual Mk7 GTI
36 years old - bought an FL5 Type R

With the way the market is going, I think this will be my last manual car before they become completely extinct.
The standard transmission's future is on uncertain ground; however, manufacturers will continue to make them for some time. The Save the Manuals campaign kicked off nearly 20 years ago and the manufacturers are still cranking them out...G8x M cars, EN, FL5, GRC, Nissan Z, J29/DB Supra, Golf R, GR86, BRZ, Mustang Darkhorse, CT5V-BW, and the list goes on. There are plenty of manual transmissions on offer from whatever you desire (and can afford).

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
The standard transmission's future is on uncertain ground; however, manufacturers will continue to make them for some time. The Save the Manuals campaign kicked off nearly 20 years ago and the manufacturers are still cranking them out...G8x M cars, EN, FL5, GRC, Nissan Z, J29/DB Supra, Golf R, GR86, BRZ, Mustang Darkhorse, CT5V-BW, and the list goes on. There are plenty of manual transmissions on offer from whatever you desire (and can afford).
I think they are a dying breed for sure. It’s sad but in reality manual cars sell less than automatics so this will be the way it goes. I personally own a single automatic car and its because there was not an option for it but I really wanted the truck. I will try to hold off as long as I can on the nostalgia and when they do disappear I will probably end up driving beat up old cars. 😂

Last edited:

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I got it for my 40th. I'm a lifelong Honda enthusiast. Stayed up all night to watch the world reveal. As soon as I saw the interior, I knew I had to have one. Put my name on the waitlist the very same day. 14 months later, it arrived. Hope to keep it for life!
Sponsored

Last edited: