• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R owner age?

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
as many have pointed out, age is not a factor. For me, having a Type R is a dream that I want to materialize, regardless of my age. This machine can provide 80% of what expensive sport cars can provide for a fraction of the price. To me this is what matters.
Sponsored

GAS2HI

First Name
WC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R S2000
I bought my Type R at the young age of 72 and bought my S2000 at 67 as a late retirement present.. the R screams..ā€Iā€™m Specialā€!! Life is too short to drive ā€œboring carsā€ā€¦.

ASIMO Assassin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing interesting right now
Just turned 40 and sitting on the waitlist for a 2023

Despite being an incredible performance vehicle; this is a 4 door, reliable, comfortable, economical car with loads of safety features and flexible space. Plus it is half the price of something like an M3.

The kid in me wants a Cayman GTS 4.0 or a Toyota Supra, but with age comes wisdom and a measure of due diligence to make smart life choices. It doesn't really surprise me that a lot of people are in their late 30's or 40's. The Type-R might come off as a bit immature on the surface, but it is a good decision for anyone trying to find something that is both fun and practical.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I am 22 I feel like the car is designed for people like me but the price isn't
New car prices now aren't designed for anyone -they are all too high. Sadly used car prices have skyrocketed as well. Glad you are able to drive the dream. Brilliant purchase. I was not that wise at 22. This car is a keeper.

AgustinoHTX

First Name
Agustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 civic hatchback 6MT
Just picked up a Manual 22 Hatchback Sport from the dealership I work at. Looking to order my CTR around mid model year 23 or 2024. Iā€™ll be 25 or 26 when I buy it.

MrBunster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Subaru Forester; '22 Nissan Pathfinder
32-year-old reporting. About to start my first big-boy job out of medical training. Been in a '09 Forester since 2011, which is making lots of weird noises from it's 4-speed.

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
47. I've had a 2019 for over three years now, and have a 2023 on order. I've had a lot of enthusiast cars over the past 30 years, but never one so universally complimented as my FK8. Which is especially odd since I find it not exactly beautiful myself. As many have said though, who cares. It's how it drives. It's a second car so I don't need it to be practical (other car is an Expedition EL; lots of practical there), but that's a nice plus. Not my favorite performance car I've ever owned, but certainly in the top five (of maybe 15). If they can fix the cooling issues on the new one (I track occasoinally, and I can usually keep it from going into limp but boy does it lose power after a lap or two), there's enough good about them to keep me entertained despite being wrong wheel drive.

Honda builds some of the best engineered cars in the world, bar none. When they bring over a Type R, if I can, I'm going to be sure I get in on it. Especially now that everything is swiftly going electric. Missed the ITR in my youth, and wasn't going to miss this one no matter what it looked like. If the FL5 keeps all of the good (motor, seats, steering, brakes, shifter, weight) and polishes out the rough edges (infotainment, heat soak, panel gaps, overall look, etc.), then it'll be a car I keep a long time.

ZR1INOZ

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 ZR1, BULLITT MUSTANG, 07 MX5, AND 19 TYPE R.
Gā€™day, Iā€™m new to the forum. Iā€™m also tragic as far as performance cars go!
4 weeks ago l finally got my hands on a 2019 ā€˜Rā€™. Awesome car, love it to bits. I knew it would b awesome, as I tried to get my wife into one nearly 4 years ago, but the red seats& wings etc didnā€™t do it for her, so the RS DID! Which planted the seed, if this RS civic is that good , whatā€™s a type R going to be like!
At 63, Iā€™m still finding cars that only excite, but make you feel like a kid again!!! Viva Type R!:imnew:

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I'll be 39 this month. GF calls it a midlife crisis vehicle. Meanwhile she's window shopping German luxury!

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
i was debating about this since I am in my 40s but trying to get something track focus but also wonā€™t be scary to push at the limits. If the dealer markup insane I will just buy m2

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (Sonic Grey Pearl)
Just turned 25 but I bought my Type R when I was 23

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
i was debating about this since I am in my 40s but trying to get something track focus but also wonā€™t be scary to push at the limits. If the dealer markup insane I will just buy m2
An M2 will be easier and more fun to get sideways, and is very controllable and easy to catch on a drift - if you know what you are doing.
Brilliant car - but still not nearly as good a daily driver as the Honda, and over time will cost you more than the Honda- and not just up front.

The Type R is very good at keeping you out of trouble if you get it really wrong- cough- hit loose sand-cough.. Driver's seat is one of the best I have sat in. Seating position works well for me - less upright, more sports car. you sit in it, not on it. It is a scalpel, not really about breaking traction at every opportunity. Braking is easy to moderate, minimal fade, and stops yesterday. Steering has feel, responds well, and is accurate. Grip is insane. It will teach you to be a better driver - but it won't try and kill you while you're learning.

Even though it is a front wheel drive car - I can get my Type R to rotate in a turn. And only on a few occasions has it exhibited any torque steer at all, and very little at that.

Versus a Mazda Speed 3 where its 280 foot lbs. of torque through the front wheels had you accidentally changing lanes every time you hit the gas. Amusing, but no thank you.

My take on the math up:

M2 Advantages:

RWD for going sideways. Controllably in this case. An extra 100 hp. So faster. Better sounding engine and exhaust - a low bar, that. Conservative styling. Brand cache, if you care about that crap, which you probably don't. More luxurious? Not much. Except the back seat is no doubt nicer, except if you have legs. Honda cheaped out on the rear seats in the Type R - but at least you can fit back there comfortably.
Easier to get in and out of than the Type R. (Actually, the Type R is not that hard to get into, getting out is more work.)

M2 Disadvantages:

MSRP over $ 60 K before options and any ADM. About 3" less rear legroom-ahh, let 'em suffer. Only 13.5 cubic feet of trunk space is barely adequate. The Honda has huge cargo space. I rarely use the back seat - but I use the cargo space regularly. 500 more pounds of Bavarian pork compared to the Type R. Higher cost for parts, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. Resale on the M2 is strong - but it is even stronger for the Type R. Also, far more likely to swap ends than the Honda.

Mind you, I have owned one BMW, driven many others, and certainly have a soft spot for BMW's. Okay, not all of them, but a lot of them.
So not a hater or a brand fan boy - every car has to stand on its own merits.

The answer is obvious of course - buy what you like. If I was totally rational I might have kept my Civic SI and saved the extra cost of the FK8, but...

...life is short, eat dessert first. The Type R is dessert - but it is a very healthy desert that even doubles as a full meal.
Sponsored