• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VTEC.. is this for real?

First Name
Luigi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Si, 11th Gen SI
Honda keeps referencing VTEC 1.5 L Turbo in their online marketing. the usual car review magazines also copy/paste the same verbatim. The 10th gen had VTC, but not the lift control of traditional VTEC.

Has Honda *actually* included VTEC or is this just misleading and deceptive marketing?!
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
It is VTEC, but don’t expect it to hit like a B-series or K20. It is exhaust side only and I believe it is being used to fill out that torque dip that was present in the 10th gen once you get past 5500 rpm.

Like your 9th gen k24, but probably even less pronounced than that motor.

*this is just my assumption. Don’t quote me

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
It is VTEC but not really audible like you’re used to. Never heard it driving our 2022 civic ex least.

OP
OP
9thGenSi-->11th GenSi?
First Name
Luigi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Si, 11th Gen SI
My understanding is that the L15 engine code for 2022 SI is very specific. It doesn't match any other civic model, even those sharing the same 1.5 turbo on the non si Sedan or hatchback.

Once the road tests start for the big Magazines, someone should key into this.

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
My understanding is that the L15 engine code for 2022 SI is very specific. It doesn't match any other civic model, even those sharing the same 1.5 turbo on the non si Sedan or hatchback.

Once the road tests start for the big Magazines, someone should key into this.
You know, I was thinking it was odd during the Honda Civic SI video they released a week ago, they said "Exlusive to the SI is the power train. I repeat, it is EXCLUSIVE to the SI" .... or something to that effect. Very strange emphasis. I also find it strange that any and all information and reviews is still embargoed until the 30th, since they're already being sold.

If this thing brings some of that old 8th/9th gen drama back to the table, i think this car will be a hit. I remember when the 10th Gen came out and was met with almost universal dislike. Compared to the previous gen, the power train had no soul, no vtec, none of the character people expected from the SI.... And now look at how people feel about the 10th generation civic.

This embargo, this late in the game, seems there is one of two things happening here - There's a surprise... or there's major disappointment and they don't want to hurt their sales. I'm hoping for the former.

If they've got a more free-revving engine, got rid of the rev hang, and added an audible vtec crossover... take my money.

Last edited:

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
All the 11th gen L15 turbos have exhaust VTEC:

" Civic Hatchback EX-L ($26,600 MSRP) includes a more powerful and refined 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and a CVT that's been retuned for improved response and drivability. Now with exhaust-side VTEC®, the engine produces 180-horsepower (@ 6,000 rpm, SAE net) and 177 lb.-ft. of torque (@ 1,700 to 4,500 rpm, SAE net) on regular unleaded gas. "

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
All the 11th gen L15 turbos have exhaust VTEC:

" Civic Hatchback EX-L ($26,600 MSRP) includes a more powerful and refined 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and a CVT that's been retuned for improved response and drivability. Now with exhaust-side VTEC®, the engine produces 180-horsepower (@ 6,000 rpm, SAE net) and 177 lb.-ft. of torque (@ 1,700 to 4,500 rpm, SAE net) on regular unleaded gas. "
They specifically said the engine is exclusive to the SI. While what you said is true, i think there's more to it.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
They specifically said the engine is exclusive to the SI. While what you said is true, i think there's more to it.
It could easily just have different rods or intake cam, as it does in the 10th gen.

OP
OP
9thGenSi-->11th GenSi?
First Name
Luigi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Si, 11th Gen SI
The turbo is different in addition to the VTEC claims. The Si has a more efficient unit, regarding the number of fins on the impeller.

There are likely Several differences on the Si, that we will discover as we take them apart, modify, and repair.

Anyone claiming both 1.5 engines to be the same are ignorant. Not stupid. They just don't know.

Just like the old GSR vs Type R threads on T/I. Small details make the world of difference.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
The turbo is different in addition to the VTEC claims. The Si has a more efficient unit, regarding the number of fins on the impeller.

There are likely Several differences on the Si, that we will discover as we take them apart, modify, and repair.

Anyone claiming both 1.5 engines to be the same are ignorant. Not stupid. They just don't know.

Just like the old GSR vs Type R threads on T/I. Small details make the world of difference.
Just like the 10th gen Si engine is not the same as the 10th gen regular 1.5, the 11th gen obviously has differences, fewer impeller fins etc, which is why it makes 20 more hp than the hatch. I think, however, people are wanting to read more into it then what actually exists. One would think Honda would hype it up big time if there was some performance VTEC system here. I just don't think that's the case at all. Like other members mentioned, it is there for economy and probably so the engine flows better at high rpm, hence the claim of maintaining peak power to redline.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R; 03' EVO;
Doesn't the TypeR just have exhaust VTEC as well? If it never engages, can't you tune that so that it does? There is several uses for exhaust side VTEC. The intake is useless since you have the turbo to force enough air into the engine.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 RSX-S, '18 NSX, '21 TLX-S, '22 RDX ASpec
Doesn't the TypeR just have exhaust VTEC as well? If it never engages, can't you tune that so that it does? There is several uses for exhaust side VTEC. The intake is useless since you have the turbo to force enough air into the engine.
Yes, but the mere presence of profile switching doesn't mean much by itself.

The "intake VTEC is useless since it's turbo" bit of info people like to regurgitate is bullshit, too.
Sponsored