• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Well…it was fun while it lasted…

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
Depending on the dealer/lease agreement, and the type of modification; the dealer may want more out of you even if you returned the car in a stock condition. We aren't talking about just changing wheels here, I'm assuming?
I agree with not changing engine/transmission internals on a lease, but bolt ons, tune, wheels and suspension are a go. For reference I had a mini countryman S I cut the muffler section to replace the axle back, Tiguan that was lowered, debaged and on wheels, Maverick with a subwoofer that was cut into the factory harness and have never had any penalties or issues.
Sponsored

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
I agree with not changing engine/transmission internals on a lease, but bolt ons, tune, wheels and suspension are a go. For reference I had a mini countryman S I cut the muffler section to replace the axle back, Tiguan that was lowered, debaged and on wheels, Maverick with a subwoofer that was cut into the factory harness and have never had any penalties or issues.
Did the dealer notice these things in the return? Seems wild to me and not worth the risk.

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
Did the dealer notice these things in the return? Seems wild to me and not worth the risk.
I put it back to stock ofcourse, but during a lease turn in inspection they are mainly looking for damage, tire wear ect. not tool marks on every single bolt to make sure it wasnt taken apart before

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
I put it back to stock ofcourse, but during a lease turn in inspection they are mainly looking for damage, tire wear ect. not tool marks on every single bolt to make sure it wasnt taken apart before
I turned my last lease in with window tint and the chrome delete. I originally had hid headlamps and underglow but removed it to reuse on my new 11th gen civic. Sold the lights on the 10th gen forum.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
A lot of times service departments will note all of your aftermarket mods so it's easy for the lease company to see what has been done. Like if you put lowering springs on a lease and blew the shocks/struts or they are leaking when you turn it back in. They will probably charge you for that. Every lease is different so you need to read that paperwork carefully when you sign up for it as there are some that are super strict and will charge you for every thing they can find if you don't buy it out at the end.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Why would you not modify a lease? You are not forced to purchase it when you are done. As long as you return it to stock, who cares?
He planned to tune it, you’re not supposed to modify the emissions system on a lease. You could be held liable, luckily most dealerships don’t really care enough to look into breaches of the lease agreement.

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
He planned to tune it, you’re not supposed to modify the emissions system on a lease. You could be held liable, luckily most dealerships don’t really care enough to look into breaches of the lease agreement.
Eh, that wouldn't affect a lease per say. The only thing that would affect is the warranty which goes for the same people who bought it. The only thing your up against during a lease turn in is a man with a clip board and a camera, they do not use any diagnostic equipment.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Eh, that wouldn't affect a lease per say. The only thing that would affect is the warranty which goes for the same people who bought it. The only thing your up against during a lease turn in is a man with a clip board and a camera, they do not use any diagnostic equipment.
It definitely affects the lease agreement. They do not use any diagnostic equipment when you initially turn it in. Diagnostic equipment is attached after the fact.

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
A lot of times service departments will note all of your aftermarket mods so it's easy for the lease company to see what has been done. Like if you put lowering springs on a lease and blew the shocks/struts or they are leaking when you turn it back in. They will probably charge you for that. Every lease is different so you need to read that paperwork carefully when you sign up for it as there are some that are super strict and will charge you for every thing they can find if you don't buy it out at the end.
I agree with that, I work in a service department and have had lots of cars with aftermarket stuff come in, we have always been very lenient with warranty repairs and mods but I can see how that would be an issue

mcharity

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you mean a 70s Maverick? Certainly there’s no way you already received and returned the Ford Maverick after I assume a 1 year lease?

BTW non of the mods you did are going to have an impact on your leases warranty, which they expect you to maintain. But they sure as hell charged you unless you put the badges on, returned to stock wheels. Maaaaybe you get away with the mini exhaust depending on how quiet/loud it was.

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
Do you mean a 70s Maverick? Certainly there’s no way you already received and returned the Ford Maverick after I assume a 1 year lease?

BTW non of the mods you did are going to have an impact on your leases warranty, which they expect you to maintain. But they sure as hell charged you unless you put the badges on, returned to stock wheels. Maaaaybe you get away with the mini exhaust depending on how quiet/loud it was.
No it was a 2022 Hybrid lol, The SI was what I wanted before I got the maverick, but at the time SI's had 5k-7k mark ups. Everything was returned back to stock on those cars, except for the badges which I think they charged me for, but the never noticed the cut exhaust since the stock muffler was back on with the slip joint exhaust clamp
Sponsored

Last edited: