• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What did you pay for your FL5?

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
So the cars are arriving to port in the states but are stuck do to shipping constraints in the US? Sounds like a US problem and not a Japan one, and obviously not a New Zeland one either.
It's definitely not a New Zealand problem, but more of a Honda of North America problem. Like I said I can get a container from Cali to FL in a week so it's not really a US shipping problem either. I think it's a valid complaint though. My dealer called me in October saying my car would be here within the week. I set up appts to get tint, ppf, and ceramic coating including putting down deposits for appts I had to break. I also spent hours of my life doing the paperwork that we now have to redo because the car hasn't showed almost two months later. The fact that the dealer can't even track the car anymore is also quite ridiculous.
Sponsored

Trilly_Loomis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 SGP Passport
Once we confirm that the last of the first batch has been delivered, I think a new thread is required for batch 2 in march?

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
The original Type R was like 38k and that was a stretch for what this car is. Now they moved it up closer to 45k for largely a car that does not cost them anymore to make. If you start selling this for over 50k with markup the car competes with more premium models that are in almost every single metric better sports cars (removing Honda fanboyism out of it).

Thats where I said, its not worth more than MSRP because it is already a stretch, and objectively even at 45k unless you are a Honda fan most normal car enthusiats would be laugh at that. I completely get it.

The manual supra on good tires would send this car back in time, the Camaro SS 1LE would obliterate it, the Z on real tires would be engaging in similar ways and even the Gr86 with just suspension and tires will run faster laps for far less money, feel engaging to drive. Even the Elantra N for 38k is almost identical in performance.

Im in a rare spot to have been on track/street to know. I still chose the Type R because I am some kind of twisted Honda fan. It makes almost no rational sense.
This is my main issue with the car, even at MSRP in Ontario, Canada, youā€™re basically at 63k after tax. Thatā€™s way too much imo, especially when the 2017 FK8 was (Iā€™m pretty sure) just under 50K all in. I ended up with an Elantra N with snow tires, rims, tint, and ppf on the front for 49K all in.

Though, if I had the money I would honestly still want a Type R, but it felt like I was stretching enough as is.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
It's definitely not a New Zealand problem, but more of a Honda of North America problem. Like I said I can get a container from Cali to FL in a week so it's not really a US shipping problem either. I think it's a valid complaint though. My dealer called me in October saying my car would be here within the week. I set up appts to get tint, ppf, and ceramic coating including putting down deposits for appts I had to break. I also spent hours of my life doing the paperwork that we now have to redo because the car hasn't showed almost two months later. The fact that the dealer can't even track the car anymore is also quite ridiculous.
Ok you win. That blows.

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
This is my main issue with the car, even at MSRP in Ontario, Canada, youā€™re basically at 63k after tax. Thatā€™s way too much imo, especially when the 2017 FK8 was (Iā€™m pretty sure) just under 50K all in. I ended up with an Elantra N with snow tires, rims, tint, and ppf on the front for 49K all in.

Though, if I had the money I would honestly still want a Type R, but it felt like I was stretching enough as is.
You made the right choice 100%

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR

I think thatā€™s a huge part of the bitterness towards the FL5 and Honda. I knew just looking at the Golf R that the best out the door price Iā€™d get on the Civic was $60-$62k cad. I think that state side people were living in a fantasy that they were going to get the FL5 at under $40k. Especially given todayā€™s landscape with the shortages and logistics.

When I built my car on the Honda Canada website I was out the door at $64k, but with the forced add-ons and the fact that I added the 10year warranty (I know stupid af) at an additional $3k I was out the door at 69k cad. Thatā€™s absolutely nutz for a Civic! However the direct cad to US conversion is just under $51k usd. which seems like a bargain compared to what Iā€™m seeing people paid for there cars on this forum.

No matter how you slice and dice it thatā€™s the reality of buying niche cars right now.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I think thatā€™s a huge part of the bitterness towards the FL5 and Honda. I knew just looking at the Golf R that the best out the door price Iā€™d get on the Civic was $60-$62k cad. I think that state side people were living in a fantasy that they were going to get the FL5 at under $40k. Especially given todayā€™s landscape with the shortages and logistics.

When I built my car on the Honda Canada website I was out the door at $64k, but with the forced add-ons and the fact that I added the 10year warranty (I know stupid af) at an additional $3k I was out the door at 69k cad. Thatā€™s absolutely nutz for a Civic! However the direct cad to US conversion is just under $51k usd. which seems like a bargain compared to what Iā€™m seeing people paid for there cars on this forum.

No matter how you slice and dice it thatā€™s the reality of buying niche cars right now.
particularly if these subject vehicle makes it on the cover of magazines, which drive the demand up further...that Elantra N is a great buy, but I just can't fathom walking into the garage just to see a car that I didn't really want, but had to settle for. For those who can / have made this pivot, congrats on a great buy!!!

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
Hall Honda in VA just sold their CW to a buyer for around $20k over.
There's a lot of idiots in the military there, but I would also take that with a grain of salt. I would say that too if I wanted to sell them in the future for 20k.

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
You guys may be right, but before I made the trek to get mine in Tennessee (quote in hand), I checked with them one last time and they said they ā€œwouldnā€™t budge from $25k overā€. Insanity.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I know truecar is a snippet of data but it shows people are not paying nearly much. Obviously as time goes on the adm will be falling.

Not sure where Edmunds pulls their sales data from but
11th Gen Honda Civic What did you pay for your FL5? 1671642577131

Last edited:

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N

Itā€™s brutal unfortunately. Youā€™re super right about judging it by the golf R up here too, that was my train of thought as well. Unfortunately comparing and converting to the US pricing is always tough, because it seems like a deal for them but weā€™re still stuck actually having to fork over 63k. It converting to 51k USD right now doesnā€™t change the fact weā€™re still getting strung up for them.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX