• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
You would think some of the discussions in Japanese on youtube would've discussed it.
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
It really has a valve cover like design to it with the shape and use of the large bolts, and like it has an outer seal running around the circumference. It must open up to reveal something, just what is anyone's guess. They would not have gone to all of those design features to have it be nothing, as it could have been done much cheaper and easier otherwise.

shimin-gata R

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CTR, ‘85 FJ60, ‘92 FJ80, ‘03 RC51
I think it’s a liquid cooled chamber to make the intake air cooler since the turbo housing is directly underneath it.

Honda added a air intake temp gauge to the gauge cluster to compliment it.

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I think it’s a liquid cooled chamber to make the intake air cooler since the turbo housing is directly underneath it.

I feel like that seems unlikely since there’s no hoses going in or out of it, also since it’s before the turbo, coolant temps would likely be hotter than intake air at that point.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline

Since its pre-turbo likely not cooling air. But will find out.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST

Pretty sure in The Late Brake show, they looked and found no piping or hoses connected to it anywhere, because they were curious too. I think it’s just some kind of plenum.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
Has no one worked this out yet?

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
After hearing about the redesigned turbo blades in the release today I think there is a chance this is some sort of flow tuning component of the cold side of the turbocharger. Maybe they can actively change the shape of fins inside this plate to alter the orientation of the air entering the turbocharger.

I would imagine that this could be another variable you could change to optimize torque across the RPM range.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
After hearing about the redesigned turbo blades in the release today I think there is a chance this is some sort of flow tuning component of the cold side of the turbocharger. Maybe they can actively change the shape of fins inside this plate to alter the orientation of the air entering the turbocharger.

I would imagine that this could be another variable you could change to optimize torque across the RPM range.
That would be interesting. Sounds fancy though, like maybe to fancy for a Civic, but who knows.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
^ Based on that pic I say passive cooling, the plate is removable and there is a cavity under it, but it does not seem to enter the charge pipe and the charge pipe is sealed off from that cavity. A decorative plate, that may have some relation to the hood extraction vent, maybe some rain water and air deflection properties along with passive cooling. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored