• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is the CTR the type of car you "drop" into, like a sports car?

NA6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 BRG Miata
I'm debating between the GR86 and FL5 CTR. I've always owned RWD sports cars that sit pretty low from the factory. I love that feeling of being low, dropping into the seat, feeling that low center of gravity in a corner, etc. I'm almost sold on the CTR as I've come to terms with losing rwd, joking, but not really. I just don't want to lose that sports car sensation on top of losing rwd, if that makes sense. It would be a step too far.

I get the CTR has an incredible engine and trans, but being based off the Civic platform, losing that dedicated sports car chassis may be too much for me to give up. I wish it were easier for me to find a CTR and test drive, but these things are hard to come by!
Sponsored

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
im pretty sure you can find an fk8 near you to just try sitting in? but i've read that you kinda need to drop into the seat due to the side bolstering, if you just slide in and out sideways like other commuters, you may cause excessive wear and tear over time.. actual FK8 owners can probably chime in and provide better explanation tr

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
You drop into the Fk8. The driving position is very similar to my friends FRS but the civic has a way better steering wheel and way better seats. Feels like a real sports car. Not like a focus RS or golf GTI where you sit on the car it feels like.

I would assume the FL5 will be just like the FK8.

Reactions: NA6

SwiftTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I have a 2022 Civic Si, and recently sat in a 2019 FK8. I am 6' tall with a long torso. I was surprised to feel that the FK8 sits higher off the ground than my Si. Both seats were adjusted all the way down. The FK8 did provide more headroom than my Si.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
I'm debating between the GR86 and FL5 CTR. I've always owned RWD sports cars that sit pretty low from the factory. I love that feeling of being low, dropping into the seat, feeling that low center of gravity in a corner, etc. I'm almost sold on the CTR as I've come to terms with losing rwd, joking, but not really. I just don't want to lose that sports car sensation on top of losing rwd, if that makes sense. It would be a step too far.
If you're looking for the drop into type of car, you simply can't have it based upon a commuter car. The chassis is far too high for that kind of feeling. Just because you take away some of the seat height to give the feeling of more horizontal leg position doesn't make the chassis design any lower. However, that said very few cars truly have that feeling today as so many have grown in size and are more ubiquitous over the years. The standard, the 911, has grown up a lot in the past few decades making them more acceptable for even a daily driver just with no storage capacity, 60+ year olds can climb in and out of them daily. Plus going to FWD after enjoying RWD forever just isn't the way to go... Rear biased AWD would be okay but not FWD. That said though even the GR86 isn't going to have the drop in type of feeling, but would definitely be better than any of these hatchbacks based upon commuter cars. Golf, Corolla, Civic, etc but still isn't comparable to say a Lotus, old school RX7/NSX (if staying Japanese) where just standing next to the car the roofline is barely above your waist.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Not as low as your MX5 and probably the GR86. Seat height can be adjusted all the way down as mentioned above. It sits a little high if you’re used to a lower car. But the driving experience (composure and confidence) far exceeds everything else in its price range. Plenty of car meets in Calif and many dealers still have the FK8 (only change is color and side bolsters from looking at released pictures) for sale if you want to sit on one.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5

I get the CTR has an incredible engine and trans, but being based off the Civic platform, losing that dedicated sports car chassis may be too much for me to give up. I wish it were easier for me to find a CTR and test drive, but these things are hard to come by!
I firmly believe it'll have the lowest seating position in the segment. But it won't be as low as the GR86's.

I'm also a stickler for a low, legs outstretched, driving position. From sitting in an FK8, I think I'd love the FL5. You do feel like you're sitting in the car, not on it. But I'd also want to keep a traditional sports car (e.g., S2000) in the garage to complement it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NA6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 BRG Miata
I firmly believe it'll have the lowest seating position in the segment. But it won't be as low as the GR86's.

I'm also a stickler for a low, legs outstretched, driving position. From sitting in an FK8, I think I'd love the FL5. You do feel like you're sitting in the car, not on it. But I'd also want to keep a traditional sports car (e.g., S2000) in the garage to complement it.
That's what I'm thinking too, the comment on the s2k. Right now I'm not in a position to have two cars, but ideally I would have an FL5 CTR and Lotus Elise, S2000, or something more hardcore. Whereas the GR86 almost splits the difference, giving just enough practicality for a road trip or something and all the trackability of the S2000.

Reactions: rui

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
You do not drop into it in the way you're looking for. It's a great performance car, but you're not going to need to squat to get in and out like you would a Cayman GT4.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
That's what I'm thinking too, the comment on the s2k. Right now I'm not in a position to have two cars, but ideally I would have an FL5 CTR and Lotus Elise, S2000, or something more hardcore. Whereas the GR86 almost splits the difference, giving just enough practicality for a road trip or something and all the trackability of the S2000.
The Subaru/Toyota twins are indeed the perfect one car solution for an enthusiast, as long as the emergency-only rear seat isn't an issue. :)

I took a rough ground-to-seat bottom cushion surface measurement on the GR86, with the seat all the way down, and it came to around 31 cm. Pretty much the same as an ND MX-5. These are some of the best values in the industry. Only rivaled by much more expensive sports cars and exotics.

I'm expecting the FL5 to be around 37 cm. From what I've seen, the C-segment car average is around 42 cm.

Last edited:

OP
OP

NA6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 BRG Miata
Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to sit in an FK8 CTR today. Was planning on taking it for a test drive too but didn't get that far.

It's a night and day difference in seat height. It immediately felt like I was sitting on the car, so I didn't want to waste the saleperson's time just to say no thanks at the end. To be honest, I'm probably spoiled by my previous cars. I can't give up that low slung feeling. I don't doubt they're great hot hatches though!

Are waitlist spots transferrable? I have two #2 spots for FL5 CTRs at guaranteed MSRP (have it in writing on deposit receipt). Wondering if I can transfer to a fellow car enthusiast.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
NA6 - Why not have both? My FL5 (fingers crossed) will be joining my S2000 in the garage. Best of both worlds.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to sit in an FK8 CTR today. Was planning on taking it for a test drive too but didn't get that far.

It's a night and day difference in seat height. It immediately felt like I was sitting on the car, so I didn't want to waste the saleperson's time just to say no thanks at the end. To be honest, I'm probably spoiled by my previous cars. I can't give up that low slung feeling. I don't doubt they're great hot hatches though!

Are waitlist spots transferrable? I have two #2 spots for FL5 CTRs at guaranteed MSRP (have it in writing on deposit receipt). Wondering if I can transfer to a fellow car enthusiast.
It's a dealers choice.

It would never work at our dealer if there is a deposit waiting for a type r after you.

What are your other cars?

In the end the Type R for me is a car that will provide me some smiles but allow some practicality. It's a compromise. Despite the Type R name it isn't a race car.

I sometimes wonder if I should just have two cars instead of one doing it all. In the end I work for Honda and I trust their ability to make a sporty thing of legend. So... Weeeeee

OP
OP

NA6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 BRG Miata
NA6 - Why not have both? My FL5 (fingers crossed) will be joining my S2000 in the garage. Best of both worlds.
Owning two cars would not be the responsible move right now :doh:. Maybe 5+ years down the line. In the mean time I want a car that I can take on track days, so GR86 seems to fit the bill.

OP
OP

NA6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 BRG Miata
It's a dealers choice.

It would never work at our dealer if there is a deposit waiting for a type r after you.

What are your other cars?

In the end the Type R for me is a car that will provide me some smiles but allow some practicality. It's a compromise. Despite the Type R name it isn't a race car.

I sometimes wonder if I should just have two cars instead of one doing it all. In the end I work for Honda and I trust their ability to make a sporty thing of legend. So... Weeeeee
The cars I'm coming from are FRS, ND2 Miata, and 3 NA miatas. My Dads owned sports cars too so any car I've tracked have been low and RWD. Just fallen in love with it I guess.
Sponsored