• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TW FG2
Is that from all reviewers, or just Straight Pipe?
I've come to realize that I don't really care for Jacob and Yuri's take for cars. They aren't that informative and taste (IMO) is weird. Yuri was comparing his old beater civic to the Type R at one point. They also seem to prefer the drive and looks of the GR Corolla over the Type R.
Sponsored

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
I've come to realize that I don't really care for Jacob and Yuri's take for cars. They aren't that informative and taste (IMO) is weird. Yuri was comparing his old beater civic to the Type R at one point. They also seem to prefer the drive and looks of the GR Corolla over the Type R.
absolutely. They didn't even know the first thing that was updated in the FL5 when it comes to the chassis components, they just said "something here, something there" wtf?

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Topher and Tedward seemed so genuinely excited and generally very knowledgeable. They seem to strike a great balance between being genuine and informative.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Motor Illustrated had this to say in regards to the steering:

Now, about steering, I am surprised to report that the new FL5’s performance is a trivial notch below, from 12 to 11 out of ten, from that of the FK8’s. The best way to illustrate the difference is that the old Type R’s assistance is even throughout the wheel’s turns, as though it was unassisted. The new car’s steering assistance backs off slightly as the wheel returns to center only to build up once past the threshold. Yeah, that’s about it.

Key word being trivial.
Is that from all reviewers, or just Straight Pipe?
Savagegeese stated something to that effect, and Throttle House also had that in both of their FL5 videos

5:55 in the first TH video, 14:15 in the newer TH video, 12:30 in the SG video (I've linked directly to those times).

Also, to be clear, this is still very much a car I plan on purchasing. The looks alone have me coming a long way from having to talk myself into it, like I would've had to with the FK8

Last edited:

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
And reduced steering feel compared to the FK8
Did you owned the FK8 or drove the FL5? If not how did you came to that conclusion?
I owned 5 CTRs and each one was better than the previous one.
You shoud base your opion on facts!

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Did you owned the FK8 or drove the FL5? If not how did you came to that conclusion?
I owned 5 CTRs and each one was better than the previous one.
You shoud base your opion on facts!
"in any of the reviews" from the post I quoted

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
absolutely. They didn't even know the first thing that was updated in the FL5 when it comes to the chassis components, they just said "something here, something there" wtf?
Hey hey now, you learned one thing from their vid. There exists a traction control defeat in any/indvidual mode without having to reflash the ECU that Sergio needed to do after starting the car for the media rides.

Trilly_Loomis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 SGP Passport
Unpopular opinions/hot takes incoming:
1. No matter what the outcome of these reviews was, fanboys are still going to fanboy and the car would be a legendary staple regardless.
2. The picking apart of the throttle house review is funny to me, its like the FK8 bunch got their pound of flesh and reason to keep theirs, its funny that the FL5 team is trying to defend, I would thing the goal with the low production numbers would be to reverse psycology the FK8 owners into thinking their gen is better so they dont trade in for the new gen lol.
3. Back to throttle house, they have a point this one should be faster for a dig or a roll, track times are awesome and its cute to see the majority of the people who dont track, still cling to track numbers. Lets put the track king blah blah aside and admit weve all got down on the highway and its nice to win a roll. cmon whos kidding who.
4. Its scary how much love Tedward and Topher are getting, especially tedward who bought an SI for views and the hopes to trade it in for more money due to current market to flip for the FL5, the amount he was trying to sell the audience in his SI videos on how he WASNT doing that was truly cringe and the reason I hate most youtubers, they are market ruiners and boosters themselves. which brings me to next.
5. Topher and Tedward are fanboy industry plants, their comments about markups almost being worth it was completely reckless and gross. Im glad they made the ADM gang feel better about themselves and their purchases but still gross.
6. The car is good, sounds like its about the same as the FK8, with a slight dip in steering, if youre getting an FL5 awesome, if you are keeping your FK8 cool as well. But whatever side youre on, please stop defending the +R mode suspension, the videos dont lie and more than 4 reviewers said its rough, and thats ok but the defending of it just seems silly.

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Hey hey now, you learned one thing from their vid. There exists a traction control defeat in any/indvidual mode without having to reflash the ECU that Sergio needed to do after starting the car for the media rides.
Yeah they mentioned it fleetingly. But then Jakub said - "The Honda engineer asked me to send him an email and he'll explain how to do it. But I never did." 😂
The Topher explained how to do that in a video he put out yesterday on his instagram.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
Back to throttle house, they have a point this one should be faster for a dig or a roll, track times are awesome and its cute to see the majority of the people who dont track, still cling to track numbers. Lets put the track king blah blah aside and admit weve all got down on the highway and its nice to win a roll. cmon whos kidding who.
Assuming the reason is the taller gearing that was done to improve the car in other areas it stands to reason it just won't be better on a roll. And to have done so would have made compromises the engineers didn't want to make. As an FK8 owner I don't take that single metric and claim superiority for my car as I think what they did makes perfect sense and improves the breed. What would be interesting to see is the 100-200kmh (or 60-120mph) times for both the FK8 and FL5 compared to a Golf R or Focus RS.

But whatever side youre on, please stop defending the +R mode suspension, the videos dont lie and more than 4 reviewers said its rough, and thats ok but the defending of it just seems silly.
If as savagegeese says +R is stiffer than the LE then it will be pretty brutal, no getting away from that. But on a glass like track with Cup 2s it will give you the fastest times and take full advantage of the grip on offer. Running on a bumpy track? Dial it back to Sport or Comfort in the individual settings.

OP
OP
JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
Anyone who prefers the look of the GR to the CTR needs assistance from the Royal Society for the Blind.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Topher and Tedward seemed so genuinely excited and generally very knowledgeable. They seem to strike a great balance between being genuine and informative.
Those guys seems too excited which can cause bias imo. Talking about how the car has so much steering feel but at the same time Thomas from Throttlehouse said the car had zero steering feedback and had to drive in a odd sawing manner 10/10th. I guess all that matters is how it feels to you on the test drive.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Anyone who prefers the look of the GR to the CTR needs assistance from the Royal Society for the Blind.
My wife and I were just discussing this today 😂

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Hopefully a stiffer spring will reign in the extreme damping and pogo stick ride that comes along with a stiff damper and relatively soft spring. Also cant wait until someone puts a fk8 final drive gear into a fl5 and reports back. Love both gens and i think with a little modding of problem areas the fl5 will also be an absolute monster.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Hopefully a stiffer spring will reign in the extreme damping and pogo stick ride that comes along with a stiff damper and relatively soft spring. Also cant wait until someone puts a fk8 final drive gear into a fl5 and reports back. Love both gens and i think with a little modding of problem areas the fl5 will also be an absolute monster.
I'd probably go Olins or Bilstein dampers. Good damping shouldn't upset the chassis
Sponsored