• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yeah let's get some amateurs without broken in FL5s posting times. That will really help clear things up. :rolleyes:
Not even sure how to respond to this lol you think you need to be a pro to roll into 3rd and do a quick 3/4 4/5 shift? How many miles are acceptable for ya before a gps time is considered valid? What times did your FK8 run?
Sponsored

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-honda-civic-type-r-pros-cons-review/

104mph trap speed from motortrend. Something just isn't adding up... could it be the unsprung weight of 265 sections that's causing the car to lag? my manual GTI is putting down similar whp and weight but trapping 111mph. I just want to understand whats going on here.... is all the aero causing much downforce/drag?

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Emphatically disagree. I'm buying a road car, not a race car. Race cars are meant to be fast. Road cars are meant to be fun.
The only person mentioning race car is yourself. The fact is sports/performance centric cars care about performance and why acceleration, braking, and handling matter. Performance is the sole reason they exist. Hence why the Type R is what it is. You said you want a “road car” and don’t care about performance so go buy an Accord Hybrid road car and have fun.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CBP Si Coupe
Happy to see reviews saying driving the FL5 is at least on par with the FK8, but can’t help but feel disappointed that there doesn’t appear to be much of a step up in performance. As someone above mentioned, you almost never see this phenomenon in performance cars, but perhaps they’re at the limit of what a fwd chassis can do without the addition of all wheel drive for traction or rear-axle steering for agility. For reference, the FL5 scored worse than the LE in every metric measured by motortrend. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-honda-civic-type-r-limited-edition-first-test-review/

Still want one tho 😂

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Happy to see reviews saying driving the FL5 is at least on par with the FK8, but can’t help but feel disappointed that there doesn’t appear to be much of a step up in performance. As someone above mentioned, you almost never see this phenomenon in performance cars, but perhaps they’re at the limit of what a fwd chassis can do without the addition of all wheel drive for traction or rear-axle steering for agility. For reference, the FL5 scored worse than the LE in every metric measured by motortrend. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-honda-civic-type-r-limited-edition-first-test-review/

Still want one tho 😂
Nah thr STI stayed the same for 20 years

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Not even sure how to respond to this lol you think you need to be a pro to roll into 3rd and do a quick 3/4 4/5 shift? How many miles are acceptable for ya before a gps time is considered valid? What times did your FK8 run?
Sorry was just being a bit cheeky. No FK8 here (former Si owner so any Type R feels like a big upgrade to me) but I'll try and get some dragy times posted after my FL5s break in (sitting at about 275 miles atm).

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
The only person mentioning race car is yourself. The fact is sports/performance centric cars care about performance and why acceleration, braking, and handling matter. Performance is the sole reason they exist. Hence why the Type R is what it is. You said you want a “road car” and don’t care about performance so go buy an Accord Hybrid road car and have fun.
That's just it, isn't it? An Accord Hybrid isn't fun. What about this don't you understand?

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
That's just it, isn't it? An Accord Hybrid isn't fun. What about this don't you understand?
Your nonsensical comments is what I don’t understand. Move along, I wasn’t addressing you from the beginning anyway chief.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)

Still want one tho 😂
This.

Though I'm hopeful the FL5 on lighter forged wheels and Cup2s will, at least, be on par with the LE.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
so is the FL5 2 secs quicker than the LE at Suzuka fake?

EDIT: how do we ignore the Suzuka lap time? Also, can magazines be bias?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
so is the FL5 2 secs quicker than the LE at Suzuka fake?

EDIT: how do we ignore the Suzuka lap time? Also, can magazines be bias?
who knows, different day, different conditions. Few degrees can affect how a street car drives. Rather see independent publication do a back to back.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
The media embargo review buzz has already faded and now I am just depressed again at the thought of the delays, in transit, whatever that means, and of course the dealers gouging ADMs to the moon.

I guess what makes it easier not to give in to the ADMs is that I now rate the Rallye Red higher than the Championship White. And the only ones in my state on the first batch are CW. Hopefully that will help me to resist paying over 55K OTD for one.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I didn't see SFM's review mentioned earlier. I enjoyed it. The no-TPMS thing is kinda neat. I never knew about it before.

We can fight about traps, drags, and track times all we want, but, at the end of the day:
  1. If you're tracking at all, pretty much everything goes out the window, because the car won't stay stock and you probably won't squeeze 100% out of it, no matter how good you think you are
  2. How far do we have to stretch the definition of a "sports car" until we find a car that sold better than the MX-5? A car which has pretty much never bragged about any numbers in its 30+ years on the market?
Numbers don't sell cars. Feelings do. But numbers are fantastic at pushing people away, especially armchair engineers and spec-sheet racers. And if that means dealers get fewer calls and drop ADMs, I'm all for it.

not bitching
You are though.

But it sure seems like there are a lot of people on these forums who are not actually seriously considering the FL5, and are mainly here just to hate...
Some people overhyped themselves and now they're disappointed. Lots of copium in the salt.

Kuhal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Honda Acty, '23 CT4-V Blackwing, '24 FL5
  1. How far do we have to stretch the definition of a "sports car" until we find a car that sold better than the MX-5? A car which has pretty much never bragged about any numbers in its 30+ years on the market?
The MX-5 is an amazing car to drive and really does show there's more to a vehicle than pure drag numbers.
Sponsored